Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Worst ebook Reader You Ever Owned!

Each to his or her own thoughts, eh? -- A big old 'YUP' and 'Shrug' on this ugly-screened embarrassment that I'll mention in the next paragraph.

Mine would have to be the Sony PRS-700, with the worst touch screen in the history of ebook readers. The light - godawful and uneven - was not backlit. (I think the technology did not exist at that time - please, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I think I paid $350 (or thereabouts), and ended up giving the damn thing away. Although, mercifully, I should have buried it in the same graveyard used in Plan 9 From Outer Space. I guess zombies and dead people also need to read, on occasion, when they're not out foraging for brains.

BUT WAIT! I just realized I should have given it to that pompous alien, Eros, (who reminds me of someone best left unnamed). I'm sure he would have some wonderful thoughts on how to use it - along with a lecture or two, of course.

Remember: Opinions are only opinions, unless you owned a Ford Pinto. [Guilty!]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	They just read a book that stinks.jpeg
Views:	4038
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	194850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pompous Alien.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	194851  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-10-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: ending to ended
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kindle DXG bought on Sale from Amazon (old stock) for PDFs. I gave my PW (2?) away before I realised how bad it was.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The first "Basic" Kindle with the thin clicky page-turn buttons. Man I disliked that thing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The worst ereader I didn't own was the creation of a local group in the mid-2000s. It was "inspired" by the Sony Librie but used an LCD display and was powered by 4 AA batteries. It's controls looked like someone had borrowed an original Nintendo controller for paging and selecting text for searching. The display was a 640x480 backlit LCD which had a very narrow viewing angle and a backlight that lacked brightness but did suck battery power. The ebook format was PDB. The prototype I was given to try out managed 3.5 hours of battery life plus whatever time was wasted restarting after crashes. The only nice feature was the ridge for the battery compartment which made for a nice grip.

Sadly (Thankfully??) after testing the 5 prototypes, it was decided not to go into production.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For me it's the nook STR. The bezel is atrocious. The firmware is awful. The partitioned memory is pitiful what's left over for side loading. It's just a POS at best.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-10-2022 at 03:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The only ereader without buttons I've owned - the 2014 basic Kindle. It wasn't bad in other aspects, but I just can't use an ereader without physical buttons (or at least the haptic ones like the Voyage had). Fingerprints drive me mad.

My very first ereader was the first basic Kindle with thin clicky buttons hated by Deskisamess. I was fine with it, but of course I wouldn't want to use it now. Compared to modern readers, it's very slow, with very few customization options, unlit and the screen is dated. But I loved it when I used it back then.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:20 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The first "Basic" Kindle with the thin clicky page-turn buttons. Man I disliked that thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For me it's the nook STR. The bezel is atrocious. The firmware is awful. The partitioned memory is pitiful what's left over for side loading. It's just a POS at best.
I like both of these. The Simple Touch was my first eReader and the Kindle Basic (balck, no-touch) was my "second" (there was a Kindle Touch in the middle, but the fonts were too light and I gave it away to my brother before I realized that you could install darker fonts). Just replaced the battery in the Kindle Basic (black, no touch) a few months ago.

My least favorite readers, were the PRS-600 and PRS-900 Sonys. I would say the PRS-700 also, but that one was basically non-functional (battery was too weak) so I really couldn't give it a fair test.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I've owned a couple of Nooks and a couple of Kobos and I've liked all of them.

I think the Nook Simple Touch (with Glowlight) is great and still use it. The software is pretty out of date (it's a decade old) but the reading experience is still good. I like the page turn buttons and expandable memory.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like both of these. The Simple Touch was my first eReader and the Kindle Basic (balck, no-touch) was my "second" (there was a Kindle Touch in the middle, but the fonts were too light and I gave it away to my brother before I realized that you could install darker fonts). Just replaced the battery in the Kindle Basic (black, no touch) a few months ago.

My least favorite readers, were the PRS-600 and PRS-900 Sonys. I would say the PRS-700 also, but that one was basically non-functional (battery was too weak) so I really couldn't give it a fair test.
That reminds me. The font rendering on the nook STR is awful. With the exact same font rendered on the nook, it looked like a different font then when rendered on a Sony Reader PRS-650. Awful software on the nook obviously.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have the Sony PRS-350 and I think it's great for the age. I did get a T1 and couldn't figure why they switched from Linux to Android. It also froze if dictionary accessed, so I took it back. Sony obsessed with the idea of using ereader to sell their books and ditched ordinary ereaders when that didn't work.

I had a Nook ST and thought it OK, if somewhat clunky design. I gave it to one of the grandchildren.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
None! (OK the first batch of EZreader pocket pro, had flaws that were fixed in later batches. But it DID the main job I bought it for.)
But each thereafter did get better (wanted features) (and none cost more than my first one )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
For me, it was the original Paperwhite. The screen was so bad I could only read on it for an hour or so at a time. It's one of the few readers that I didn't keep once I got it. The other one was the original Oasis--that one was just a pain to use...in the case, it was awkward to hold, out of the case it only got a few hours worth of battery life.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That reminds me. The font rendering on the nook STR is awful. With the exact same font rendered on the nook, it looked like a different font then when rendered on a Sony Reader PRS-650. Awful software on the nook obviously.
For me, dark fonts were (are) important and the Simple Touch had a nice crisp, high contrast screen. As for its interface, I always liked it. Still do. And I still think that its big bezels with page turn buttons makes it comfortable and use. To each their own on this.

I agree that fonts are rendered very nicely on Sony readers. In my opinion they are rendered better than on most modern readers. Wished they had stayed in the eReader market.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #14
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
For me, it was the Sony T2. I had nothing but problems with that reader and eventually went back to a K4-nontouch until I got the original Oasis. I'm just as glad Sony got out of the ereader market.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
For me, it was the Sony T2. I had nothing but problems with that reader and eventually went back to a K4-nontouch until I got the original Oasis. I'm just as glad Sony got out of the ereader market.
I have a T1. Last I used it, it worked very well. It sounds like your T2 was just a bad unit. It happens.