Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
blackrock36
blackrock36 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Html text not passing EpubCheck validation

I though the previous discussions on my ebook had solved my epub book errors, but on updating the epub version of my book via Smashwords Switch, the epubcheck tool (at http://validator.idpf.org/application/validate) failed my epub version giving me multiple errors (see attached screenshot). The four errors for each split html file are always the same, namely text, link, vlink and dir. I have included the code for split_001.html segment to show the code as written:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
    <title>Unknown</title>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice 4.1.6  (Win32)"/>
    <meta name="AUTHOR" content="op_client2"/>
    <meta name="CREATED" content="20190222;15380000"/>
    <meta name="CHANGEDBY" content="S Ve"/>
    <meta name="CHANGED" content="20190222;15380000"/>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
  <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
<link href="../Styles/page_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
  <body lang="en-GB" text="#000000" link="#0563c1" vlink="#954f72" dir="LTR" class="calibre">
<h1 lang="en-US" class="western1" id="calibre_pb_0"></h1>
<p lang="en-US" class="western2">
<i class="calibre7">To Patricia,</i></p>
<p lang="en-US" class="western2">
<i class="calibre7">without her, the sky would be less blue and the Sun less bright.</i></p>
</body>
</html>
BTW, the Calibre epub version of this code also failed epubcheck verification. I also opened the original .doc in Open Office 4.1.6 and saved as to html but had the same errors.

Any help as to how to get an epub book uploaded without errors PLEASE!

Thanks in advance (again),
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERROR Codes - Sigil version.png
Views:	149
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	170072  
blackrock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The vlink, text, and link attributes no longer part of html spec nor the xhtml spec. This should be done via css.

Sigil has nothing to do with this, it did not create these body attributes.

These attributes should be removed and replaced with the appropriate CSS classes.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Next time please post questions unrelated to Sigil in the Mobileread epub torum.
Thanks
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil didn't create those attributes. Nor does Sigil automatically fix all errors for you. So "Sigil html text not passing" is a little misleading. I'm removing it.

The color attributes in the body tag aren't valid xhtml. Remove them and change them to styles

Whoops! Kevin already dealt with this.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-07-2019 at 09:45 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
blackrock36
blackrock36 began at the beginning.

Device: None
KevinH & DiapDealer,
Comments noted on Sigil and comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
blackrock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert