Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Andika, modified for e-ink

I found a free font by SIL called Andika (New Basic). It's a simple sans serif that I surprisingly like. It looks mildly cartoonish but it works for me. I normally use Amasis (slab serif) but it's nice to take a break.

It's been made bolder (probably too bold for most folks) and slightly condensed, the line spacing is more compact. Tested on a Kindle Paperwhite 2.

You can do whatever you want with this, subject to the original SIL Open Font License. Font is named AndikaInk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2016_04_29T18_12_35-0700.png
Views:	1541
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	148326  
Attached Files
File Type: zip AndikaInk.zip (639.8 KB, 731 views)

Last edited by Barty; 04-30-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Thanks for that. I hope its as bold looking on my Kobo, I find most of the fonts too faint for my comfort.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
kalyy
Enthusiast
kalyy began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Thank you for sharing. I was also really surprised how much I like it.

Last edited by kalyy; 04-30-2016 at 12:38 AM.
kalyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:04 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you. I generally don't prefer sans serif on eink, but this looks very readable.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Unable to download, link is broken.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Unable to download, link is broken.
The original Andika could be found everywhere. I wonder, what the difference beteen the original and the e-ink version might be...

It's a nice font, but it has only one cut. (As i can see, supporting e-books was not the primary goal of the font-maker). Some italics are neccessary and bold and small-caps won't hurt.

@kyteflyer: try Vollkorn, it should offer any weight, you wish
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I prefer serif fonts, but I tested the download link. Worked fine for me. Though I'll note that it doesn't generate an error if you mistype the captcha.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I prefer serif fonts, but I tested the download link. Worked fine for me. Though I'll note that it doesn't generate an error if you mistype the captcha.
Still not working for me.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I checked the license, and I can legally post the font here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AndikaInk.zip (642.5 KB, 321 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thank you. I don't know why I didn't just attach it to my post. Duh.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thanks for that. I hope its as bold looking on my Kobo, I find most of the fonts too faint for my comfort.
You should install the patch to enable advanced font control for side loaded truetype fonts. It works very well to up the weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thank you Nate.

I tested this font on my Kobo Glo, and found it satisfactory. I am happy to see that there are other people too, who like to use sans serif fonts on their EInk devices. I incidentally like to use another sans serif font 'Exo' on my reader occasionally for a change, which is also a free font under SIL license. 'Exo' is a full font family, including Thin, Extra Light, Regular, Bold, Semi Bold, Extra Bold and Black styles. I use only Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic on my device however. This font has reasonably good ligature, kerning and line spacing. I am quite happy with its performance on EInk.

As this is under SIL license, I suppose I can post the font here for other members.
Attached Files
File Type: zip exo.zip (1.13 MB, 295 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Thank you Nate.

I tested this font on my Kobo Glo, and found it satisfactory. I am happy to see that there are other people too, who like to use sans serif fonts on their EInk devices. I incidentally like to use another sans serif font 'Exo' on my reader occasionally for a change, which is also a free font under SIL license. 'Exo' is a full font family, including Thin, Extra Light, Regular, Bold, Semi Bold, Extra Bold and Black styles. I use only Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic on my device however. This font has reasonably good ligature, kerning and line spacing. I am quite happy with its performance on EInk.

As this is under SIL license, I suppose I can post the font here for other members.
And thank you for posting this font. I'm working on a post, and I've added it to the zip file I am attaching to the post.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Barty
doofus

Is either Kobo or kindle software capable of using the different weights (thin, extra bold, etc). I've never tried.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Is either Kobo or kindle software capable of using the different weights (thin, extra bold, etc). I've never tried.
Kobo? I don't think it can see them, no.

And Kindle won't let you install your own fonts, anyway.