Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What color should the bezels of an ereader be?
Black 71 56.80%
Gray 17 13.60%
White 27 21.60%
Gold 3 2.40%
Silver 3 2.40%
Yellow 2 1.60%
Orange 4 3.20%
Red 8 6.40%
Green 6 4.80%
Blue 11 8.80%
Pink 3 2.40%
Purple 5 4.00%
Beige 2 1.60%
Multicolored 7 5.60%
Something else 1 0.80%
I don't care 23 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #61
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'd always choose black as well, but buttons are a must-have for me.
Buttons, eww....

Still, it's surprising that no ereader (besides phone style) has side actuated buttons. That way you could give people buttons without expanding the bezel.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:46 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Still, it's surprising that no ereader (besides phone style) has side actuated buttons. That way you could give people buttons without expanding the bezel.
I used to suggest that from time to time, but it was universally panned each time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:30 PM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The expanded bezel on one edge is usually to accommodate the screen ribbon. Historically the ribbon and larger edge was at the bottom but larger panels seem to have it at the side. A larger panel is harder to hold if the side is skinny. The Elipsa has no buttons and larger bezel at one side.

I think there has been ereaders with buttons on the edge.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Personally I don't much care where the buttons are, as long as they're there. But at least one bezel must be wide enough to hold the device comfortably. I'm nearsighted and always hold my ereader in my hand when reading; I can't read with it on a table or on my lap, it would be too far from my eyes. So I need that bezel.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #65
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do people who have devices with asymmetric bezel/buttons invert the reader when switching hands?

I've found auto-rotate to be more annoying than useful as I sometimes read on my side.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #66
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I always do. I like having a dedicated grip area and would probably not buy a symmetrical reader for that reason.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #67
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I always do. I like having a dedicated grip area and would probably not buy a symmetrical reader for that reason.
Hmm, but I don't like gripping. I read half the time with the reader resting in my hand and either my thumb or pinkie stopping it from sliding down. The rest of the time it's either propped up or on a stand. With my last one I screwed it into a gooseneck over by bed.

I've been using 6" readers for a decade and I'm still unsure of the optimal way to hold/stand up a reader. I'm still experimenting with my latest.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:02 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do people who have devices with asymmetric bezel/buttons invert the reader when switching hands?
Yes, of course.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm, but I don't like gripping. I read half the time with the reader resting in my hand and either my thumb or pinkie stopping it from sliding down. The rest of the time it's either propped up or on a stand. With my last one I screwed it into a gooseneck over by bed.

I've been using 6" readers for a decade and I'm still unsure of the optimal way to hold/stand up a reader. I'm still experimenting with my latest.
I'm pretty sure there aren't even two people who hold their ereader in exactly the same way.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #70
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

I've found auto-rotate to be more annoying than useful as I sometimes read on my side.
I read on my side a lot, and do swap hands/turn over from time to time. I find that simply setting it to Portrait mode, and leaving auto rotate on, means I have no unintended flips.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:07 AM   #71
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, I also enabled portrait lock so I don't get unintended landscape rotations.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

I rotate when switching hands with my Oases 2 & 3 and autorotate is glitchy and laggy on both of them and I don't like the distraction of having to do the rotation in the first place.

It's been a while since I've read reclining (another situation where the Voyage is less awkward than the Oasis). My worst reclining reading experience is when I use the kindle app on the nookHD. It ignores the OS rotation lock and displays comics upside down.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote