Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
IPAD V SAMSUNG GALAXY V ARCHOS

Which of these is best for reading, internet, playing movies? Dont like the fact ipad does not have usb and see from another thread that calibre does not recognise it, what are the others like.
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
For movie, archos I would say. If archos is true to thier usual, it's the one that will read the most formats.

What about android market for the galaxy tab ? Might be a criteria.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can put books on the iPad easily enough through iTunes. Each app has a section where you can copy books to the iPad (or download from the store, of course). Bluefire reader even has a way to move books via wi-fi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have both iPad and Archos 70 (Kindle 3 too . I have iPad before I buy Archos. Firstly, I want to gain some experience in Android and sell it; but surprisingly, I decide to keep Archos too. It's light, thin, and easy to carry and use. I love Moon+ reader and Kindle app. Adobe PDF reader is unexpectedly fast!.

Now I carry Archos when I'm not at home. Ipad is for home use. Kindle 3 is for reading long novel/non-fiction. Archos for email, enews, twitter, facebook outside my home.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I don't have either the ipad or the galaxy tab but have seen them, but I can tell you that Archos has the best screen I've seen on a tablet. It's so clear and is compatible with a lot of different video formats.

I have the older Archos 5 IT and it is a bit buggy and is only Android 1.6 and does not have access to 3g, but I still really like it. I bought it because I wanted an e-reader for around the house, but wanted something a bit more versatile that an e-ink device. The A5IT is really easy to use and I really liked it as a e-reader to the point I only yesterday bought my first dedicated e-ink device.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you buy. I personally would lean toward whichever is cheaper and compatible with a Android 2.1 or later OS. It all depends on what is most important to you in a device.

Despite being an Apple hater, I will acknowledge that if you want to play Netflix on the device, you have to go ipad because they have made an Android app for it yet :-(.

Last edited by anabolina; 01-31-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I need mad spelling skillz
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
iPad screen is definitely better than Archos 70/101; especially the viewing angle; but I don't find it a major issue because I usually look straight to the screen.

Just to update: the more I use Archos 70, the more I love it. It's light, thin, portable, and have very smooth operation (don't use stock launcher, use something else, e.g. LauncherPro+).

As an ebook reader, I also found the Moon+ reader app (for ePub) very good and also supports Fora dictionary integration. You can dim the screen down with your finger by rubbing down at the left edge of the screen.

For mobi, Kindle for Android is also great; but I would like offline dictionary support in next version to make it perfect.

For PDF, I read magazine on Archos with Adobe Reader (fatest among other pdf reader) on landscape mode without any zoom required.

Kindle app + Adobe Reader + Moon+ are enough for my reading on Archos 70.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
RJK
RJK began at the beginning.

Having just seen a Samsung Galaxy in person, I was totally blown away by the 7" screen - it's much better quality than the Ipad screen by far. It looks like they stuck a high quality drawing over the top of the screen, only it is the actual screen. They aren't bringing their 10" model out yet. 10" would be more convenient in some ways, but you can hold the 7" one-handed like an ereader.

The Ipad screen is great as well, and I've used it myself, The owner uses it for a lot of reading, so it can't be that bad. But it doesn't compare to the Super AMOLED screen of the Samsung.

I've not seen an Archos in person.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got the galaxy tab in the end and it is working great. Really pleased with it. Still not using it to full advantage it will take time to learn about it.
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote