Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
notthatitmatters
notthatitmatters began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Proofreading an epub?

Hi

Is there a way to quickly proofread for errors using Calibre's epub editor?

I'm finding a lot of errors within sentences, mainly due to poorly done 'cut & paste' editing. Also typos that the spell checker can't find, for instance 'will' instead of 'with'.

Is there an easy way to check for these errors within Calibre? [Would prefer not to export the files into another program to fix and then have to convert back.]

notthatitmatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You can use calibre's inbuilt editor. But proper proofreading means reading; there's no quick fix. But there are some common OCR errors you can search for with regex. You should find a few threads on that in the workshop, epub or Sigil subforums.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
Hi

Is there a way to quickly proofread for errors using Calibre's epub editor?

I'm finding a lot of errors within sentences, mainly due to poorly done 'cut & paste' editing. Also typos that the spell checker can't find, for instance 'will' instead of 'with'.

Is there an easy way to check for these errors within Calibre? [Would prefer not to export the files into another program to fix and then have to convert back.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
You can use calibre's inbuilt editor. But proper proofreading means reading; there's no quick fix. But there are some common OCR errors you can search for with regex. You should find a few threads on that in the workshop, epub or Sigil subforums.
Yes use regex:
Edit book Search & replace

All about using regular expressions in calibre

And the cheat sheet:
Quick reference for regexp syntax
I recommend bookmarking/or saving a local copy of this page.

A ctr+n will give you a count of how many matches your search gets before you do a replace.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sigil has a plugin that wraps around the Language Tools Grammar Checker ==>> [LanguageTool]: Grammar check. I find it useful for picking up typos and OCR errors such as 'an' rather than 'and', 'in' instead of 'if' etc etc.

But ATEOTD you have to read it, or better yet get someone else to read it if its your original work.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
notthatitmatters

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have been using Calibre's inbuilt editor and find it to be very helpful. Being a relative newbie to html code, I find the 'find & replace' within the editor to be much easier for me to use than the 'regular expressions'. I had hoped there was a proofreading method within this editor.

I just find it takes away the enjoyment of reading, from a book with numerous errors. These are all purchased ebooks that the authors and/or publishers should have proofread before sale. I shouldn't have to do it.

Thank you for alerting me to Sigil. Will give it a go. Is there [basically] a dummies guide to using it, though?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to proof is to read out loud (including punctuation) and have someone else follow along making corrections as needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I simply can't spot a lot of errors on the code pane or even the preview pane; in fact any prolonged PC screen-reading tires the eyes and makes it hard. I do serious proofing right on my Kindle.

I edit in epub, so when I need to proof, I flip it to AZW3 and put it on the Kindle. Then as I find errors, I highlight them. Finally, I take a copy of the notes file off the Kindle, open it in a text editor, and have it up parallel to the book. Then I can just scroll the two down together and make corrections, which is fairly efficient. I find I can spot a lot more this way, reading more naturally, than anything on a screen.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
I simply can't spot a lot of errors on the code pane or even the preview pane; in fact any prolonged PC screen-reading tires the eyes and makes it hard. I do serious proofing right on my Kindle.

I edit in epub, so when I need to proof, I flip it to AZW3 and put it on the Kindle. Then as I find errors, I highlight them. Finally, I take a copy of the notes file off the Kindle, open it in a text editor, and have it up parallel to the book. Then I can just scroll the two down together and make corrections, which is fairly efficient. I find I can spot a lot more this way, reading more naturally, than anything on a screen.
Your way

Read out loud does not catch homophones, which seem to run rampant in self pub books.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
Thank you for alerting me to Sigil. Will give it a go. Is there [basically] a dummies guide to using it, though?
There's my quite outdated but I believe still useful Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial, see my signature.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your way

Read out loud does not catch homophones, which seem to run rampant in self pub books.
But while you are reading, the other person is looking at the text and hopefully will spot them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
notthatitmatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to proof is to read out loud (including punctuation) and have someone else follow along making corrections as needed.
Maybe, if it was my own work, which it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sigil has a plugin that wraps around the Language Tools Grammar Checker ==>> [LanguageTool]: Grammar check. I find it useful for picking up typos and OCR errors such as 'an' rather than 'and', 'in' instead of 'if' etc etc. BR
Thank you, this looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
There's my quite outdated but I believe still useful Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial, see my signature.
Thank you. This makes Sigil easier to understand.

Now to add the LanguageTool, and hopefully be able to fix all/most of the errors. Am looking forward to reading the corrected books without interruption now.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@notthatitmatters - FWIW, there is a downloadable User Manual for Sigil. It accessible via a link in the sticky Download thread at the top of the Sigil forum. It's a bit out of date (0.7.?), but I find it adequate for most things.

The most significant thing that's been added in recent times is plugins, and their usage is documented in the Sigil/Plugins sub-forum.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #13
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
This is what frequently occurs to me as well, and I have always thought about a way to solve the problem.

Quote:
This seems a very good proposal, thank you for it! I only doubt if the way is possible with a Kobo Touch.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 AM   #14
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
This seems a very good proposal, thank you for it! I only doubt if the way is possible with a Kobo Touch.
There is some kind of way to export notes from a Kobo, but I've never used it. After the first round of quick and dirty proofreading, I also read through the book on my reader, highlighting anything that looks suspicious and then go through the highlights on the reader, with the pdf of the original scan and the epub open side by side on my PC. I've only recently found out how much keeping the original page numbers in the epub helps in this.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #15
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
What I'm looking for is a way to read on the reader and save the errors let's say, as a memo, and correct the errors later, for example in Sigil, in order not to disturb so much the reading experience. But what you describe seems the only possible way on a Kobo.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote