Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Life of ebooks

My wife's first e reader was a cooler, lovely colorful machine and worked beautifully until it died from dedicated usage. It surprises me that any of these still survive as she has also subsequently worn out a iriver so with heavy usage eink dies. Hopefully newer generations of eink are more durable. One could read on the much more durable backlit LCD where your eyes would wear out first!
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
My wife's first e reader was a cooler, lovely colorful machine and worked beautifully until it died from dedicated usage. It surprises me that any of these still survive as she has also subsequently worn out a iriver so with heavy usage eink dies.
What are the exact symptoms of death from heavy usage?

I've only seen death from screen cracking. Depending on the reader model, the cost of replacement parts other than the screen can be reasonable. One can get readers with cracked screens cheaply, and then you have every other replacement part in hand.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Screen fades. Maybe things are repairable in the first world but never here always cheaper to replace. Have never cracked a screen on a computer or a phone or an ereader just not careless and keep things in protective covers the dead readers were all in perfect condition just faded to nothing.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I'm not sure where you are located, but I live in a country where everything electronic is repaired. Need a screen for a Kindle? Not a problem. Cheap. I'm not in a "first world" country...
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Screen faded sounds like battery issue. I have replaced battery twice in my Cybook in the 8 years I have been using it... So eink does not seem to wear out. Interestingly, I used a cool-er battery last time and still works in my Cybook.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote