Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Kindle Oasis Screen

Does my Kindle Oasis screen look "normal"? I know normal is subjective, but does it look more yellow than it should?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1f.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	152859  
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I see Pink/Red
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks entirely normal to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I see nothing unusual either, but looking at a photo on a computer screen and looking at the screen itself in real life are two different things, of course.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Does my Kindle Oasis screen look "normal"? I know normal is subjective, but does it look more yellow than it should?
Some e-ink screens are white-ish and others more yellow, both are normal and tbh it just depends on what you prefer. Your picture seems fine to me, and i'll admit the slight light cone shadows on the right would bother me more than the colour.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Looks entirely normal to me.
With am due respect, wasn't it established that you are color blind?

I remember someone posted a pic with VERY obvious tinting and you said it looked perfectly normal.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
With am due respect, wasn't it established that you are color blind?

I remember someone posted a pic with VERY obvious tinting and you said it looked perfectly normal.
I'm red-green colour-blind (as are about 1 in 7 men), which means I can't tell the difference between blue and purple, or between green and brown. I've no problem whatsoever with yellows.

As you can see, nobody sees anything abnormal with this screen. Do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Some e-ink screens are white-ish and others more yellow, both are normal and tbh it just depends on what you prefer. Your picture seems fine to me, and i'll admit the slight light cone shadows on the right would bother me more than the colour.
What Josieb said!! The absolute key is whether or not you're happy with the one you've got.

FWIW I don't see a colour issue (I do see it in other pictures) but I did notice the right side cones too which are a function of the design, not really a device problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm red-green colour-blind (as are about 1 in 7 men), which means I can't tell the difference between blue and purple, or between green and brown. I've no problem whatsoever with yellows.

Yes I think the screen looks ok.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:

Must be too Blind to Read I saw a difference.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:00 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I didn't notice anything odd. Even enlarging the picture.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Looks fine to me. I actually prefer my displays to not be too "cool" on color temperature when I'm reading text. Especially on something I intend to read in the evenings.

To give you an idea: LEDs and backlights tend to skew up into the 7000-7500K range on consumer products like monitors and tablets, which is very cool. Ignore for the second "cool" and "warm" are reversed, it's weird terminology thing. I tend to use 6500K for photography, which is pretty standard there. Print in the past has been done at 5000K.

As your color temperature goes down, the yellower it looks, when you are comparing it to whites of a higher color temperature. Your eyes adapt to color temperature as well over time, so after using a monitor at 6500K for a few days, when you go back to a 7500K display, it will look blue. Because we are using computers so frequently these days, we are used to these high color temperatures, as few are calibrated away from this rather high white point.

I suspect that Amazon is not strictly controlling for the color temperature, so there is probably a range between ~6500K and ~7500K, which is quite noticeable when you put them side by side. I also suspect you are seeing this partly because of other devices you use that are skewed higher in temperature.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks guys. The fact that I find the screen more yellow than my Voyage is perhaps explained by the possibility of different screen temperatures affecting screen colour. I'm guessing my Voyage screen is quite high temperature as it's quite cool and blue in colour, while the Oasis in warmer in colour. I wonder if after using the Oasis for a period of time my eyes will adapt to the screen and the yellow will become less noticeable as my eyes adapt?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'm guessing my Voyage screen is quite high temperature as it's quite cool and blue in colour, while the Oasis in warmer in colour. I wonder if after using the Oasis for a period of time my eyes will adapt to the screen and the yellow will become less noticeable as my eyes adapt?
It depends. If you spend a lot of time in front of displays that have a different white point, you will get a sort of "this one thing is not like the others" effect.

My Oasis was cooler than my Voyage, and because my tablet and home computer are both calibrated to 6500K, the Oasis is the one that stands out. That said, I only really notice it if I'm looking for it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a white Voyage and a yellow Kobo H20. The colour's have not changed. I find I can read splitting between the two without any problems. As I said before it all depends on whether you can read on the screen, no one else.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote