Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #106
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Did not work, as soon as I add the translation, the "button" disapeares from the launcher.

If I change single words, i.e. Portrait, it does not change on the screen.

Tried it with notepad++

UPDATE: Got it, THX, do not know why it worked after 3rd round of trying ...

UPDATE of UPDATE: It was the "°" I tried to use for the Rotation which caused the problem.

Last edited by diba; 02-07-2012 at 02:32 AM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #107
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
What is left, is "Previous" which seems to be part of the launcher. No *.json for this in extensions.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #108
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Yep, that's probably second string in the Launcher (except "Launcher" itself). BTW you could get Launcher sources, translate them and compile a Launcher for yourself (like I did to enable "stdout-json" extension, the one that executes a command then parses command output as json-encoded menu - allows to e.g. make an extension that would show you actual status of USB networking each time you open its menu).
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #109
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast
MatzeMatz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
BTW you could get Launcher sources, translate them and compile a Launcher for yourself (like I did to enable "stdout-json" extension, the one that executes a command then parses command output as json-encoded menu - allows to e.g. make an extension that would show you actual status of USB networking each time you open its menu).
Sounds interesting - maybe you could send your source changes to yifanlu and ask him to add them to his source repository?
Or ask him to give you write access to the repository so that you're able to update it on your own?
MatzeMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #110
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

I did "pull request" from my fork, see here: https://github.com/yifanlu/KindleLauncher/pull/1

If you're interested in my fork see https://github.com/JustAMan/KindleLauncher
But you'll have to compile it yourself and install yourself, too. I won't step in Yifan's way - it's his Launcher, so I'm not distributing my fork in update.bin.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #111
mbspringer
mbspringer began at the beginning.

Device: none
wont run

Mon 20 Feb 2012 04:53:39 AM EST

I have used the mp3 jailbreak with great success, thank you.
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/
Method 1:

Plug in the Kindle and copy “data.tar.gz” to the Kindle’s USB drive’s root
Safely remove the USB cable and restart the Kindle (Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Restart)
After the Kindle restarts, you should see a new book titled “You are Jailbroken”, if you see this, the jailbreak has been successful. If you DON’T see this, continue.

I installed the folowing with great success.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...etwork_at_boot

Automatically enabling USB network at boot
By default, when the Kindle starts up, it automatically sets "USB drive" mode.
Below are few observations about how to automatically get it into USB networking mode:
Option 1: Starting usbnet from upstart
Create the file /etc/upstart/usbnetwork.conf with the following content:
start on starting framework
task
script
if [ -f /tmp/USBNET_ON ]; then
echo USB network already enabled
else
source /usr/local/bin/usbnetwork.sh
fi
end script
Your Kindle will now go into USB network mode once the framework has loaded.

my kindle spec's are:

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 159.90
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc08
CPU revision : 5

======================

I mount the filesystem this way:

It may also be helpful to mount your Kindle's filesystem into your computer. You can use sshfs to achieve this. You will need to have SSH access working in the first place, and you need the sftp-server binary.

Download sftp-server.zip from this thread, and unzip it.
Copy sftp-server to your kindle. I copied it directly to /mnt/us/, but you can place it wherever you want.
To mount the the Kindle's root FS to the local directory kindle: sshfs -o sftp_server=/mnt/us/sftp-server root@192.168.15.244:/ kindle/
To unmount: fusermount -u kindle/

then I copy :

update_launcher_1.0_install.bin to /mnt/us

then I copy everything else to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions

I have done something wrong and it does not work.

Do I have to ompile the following files?

KindleLauncher / src / com / yifanlu / Kindle

Extension.java
ExtensionsLoader.java
JARClassLoader.java
JSONMenu.java
KindleLauncher.java
KindleLauncherResources.java
LauncherAction.java
LauncherMenu.java
LauncherScript.java
Menuable.java
ReaderPluginLauncher.java
mbspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #112
bquast
bquast began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
You were saying....
Wrote it myself
Any chance you would like to do this for the Gmail and Facebook apps as well?

Wasn't too difficult actually, here is Gmail.

The app lauches but crashes when I try to type my username. Any idea's?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gmail.zip (3.1 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by bquast; 02-20-2012 at 11:22 AM.
bquast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #113
ab5tract
ab5tract began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Java function. I can't remember what class. Don't use the JS stuff if you can avoid it.
Is there a reason we should stay away from the JavaScript?

I was very excited to learn that I could write entire apps for the KT with only HTML5 and JS, so I'm curious the reasons to stay away from them.
ab5tract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #114
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I have lots of plans, but the Launcher is not high in my priorities right now. When I have the time, I promise launcher 2.0 will contain localizations & stuff.
Waiting for the version 2.0 of this great script with localization options and full working auto-rotation in 5.0.3!!
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #115
mbspringer
mbspringer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wed 22 Feb 2012 05:43:19 AM EST

I am following these procedures:

If anyone wants to know how I patched the home screen's menu system.
I took JBE (Java Bytecode Editor) and opened up "com.
amazon.kindle.home.view.browse.BrowseDisplayContro ller.$BrowseMenuManager"
(found in /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/home.jar) and under the initMenu() method,
I added the following bytecode after line 25:

Then I made sure all

the gotos and jumps

afterwards were corrected with the new line numbers.
I saved the class and added it into my KindleLauncher.jar and added that jar into /opt/amazon/ebook/lib,
since it's in the lib folder it gets loaded before home.jar.
Then I edited /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml and added my reader plugin in it.

===

I opened up the file and found two goto statements one at
line # 13 : goto 17

11 invokespecial com/amazon/agui/swing/MenuDialog/<init>(Ljava/lang/StringV
12 putfield com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/BrowseDisplayController$BrowseMenuManager/B Lcom/amazon/agui/swing/MenuDialog;
13 goto 17

and one at line # 109: goto 111

106 invokestatic com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/BrowseDisplayController/class$(Ljava/lang/StringLjava/lang/Class;
107 dup
108 putstatic com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/BrowseDisplayController/B Ljava/lang/Class;
109 goto 111

I cannot find any 'jumps'. Am I misinterpreting something?
mbspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #116
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@Pink Floyd, dchae85
you can get the MobiReader-impl.jar at the thread. Please remember to backup your original MobiReader-impl.jar in case you want to revert the change.
Hello,
I have the same issue with the cutted text on 5.0.3.
But I only want to change landscape with the Launcher, and not with AUTOrotate.

When do Yifan Lu update his Launcher script with this working MobiReader-impl.jar file?
or can you help me to change the MobiReader-impl.jar manually WITHOUT AutoRotate?

Thanks.

Last edited by Novo; 02-24-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #117
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Yifanlu, please feel free to update your GUI Launcher (preloaded with screen rotation) with this, if you wish so.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #118
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Lightbulb Please remove .DS_Store from your hacks

Yifan, thanks for all your work.

I believe that you are using a Mac because all your hacks create additional files on the Kindle which are not needed/used on Windows/Linux.
For every file "file.ext", that your tools create, another hidden one "._file.ext" is created. I also found some .DS_Store folders. These files are used to store customizations for the Mac Finder.

For more information check this Wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store

Please update your tools so that they will not add these files.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #119
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Hello,
I have the same issue with the cutted text on 5.0.3.
But I only want to change landscape with the Launcher, and not with AUTOrotate.

When do Yifan Lu update his Launcher script with this working MobiReader-impl.jar file?
or can you help me to change the MobiReader-impl.jar manually WITHOUT AutoRotate?

Thanks.
if your KT is already jailbroken, then you only need to go to /opt/amazon/ebook/lib directory and replace the MobiReader-impl.jar with this 5.0.1 version.

Please remember to backup your original MobiReader-impl.jar in case you need to restore the original file.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #120
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
if your KT is already jailbroken, then you only need to go to /opt/amazon/ebook/lib directory and replace the MobiReader-impl.jar with this 5.0.1 version.

Please remember to backup your original MobiReader-impl.jar in case you need to restore the original file.
Thanks. It seems to works fine now.
Other question is there a mPlayer or Terminal mod in progress anywhere?

Last edited by Novo; 02-24-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks