Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #46
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
[...]More name suggestions please?
Stuart (as in Little)

Ortiz (I'm not going to even try and explain where I dug this one from)

Wilbur (no reason, I've just liked the name since Charlotte's Web)

Dog (as in lap-dog)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Stuart (as in Little)

Ortiz (I'm not going to even try and explain where I dug this one from)

Wilbur (no reason, I've just liked the name since Charlotte's Web)

Dog (as in lap-dog)
Dog was my first dog. Tacky was my first cat.

I think Orlando or Dawn would be perfect since I now have Tie a Yellow Ribbon in my head.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Stuart - love the reasoning, cos he's little, but this just isn't quite right.
I'm a cat person!
Wilbur - very close to his personality, I like this one best so far.
Orlando - he sounds like a lounge lizard.
Dawn - wrong gender.
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Stuart - love the reasoning, cos he's little, but this just isn't quite right.
I'm a cat person!
Wilbur - very close to his personality, I like this one best so far.
Orlando - he sounds like a lounge lizard.
Dawn - wrong gender.
Thanks.
If you google an old picture of Tony Orlando & Dawn, your lounge lizard is appropriate.

Was Wilbur the rat or the human? Never mind that was Willard not Wilbur. I misremembered.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #50
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I realised that Wilbur would have an unfortunate short form, rather relevant to the 12" innuendo.
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #51
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
[QUOTE=Cinisajoy;3636930]Was Wilbur the rat or the human?/QUOTE]

Wilbur was the pig, of course.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

[QUOTE=rkomar;3637706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Was Wilbur the rat or the human?/QUOTE]

Wilbur was the pig, of course.
There were no pigs in Ben.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:09 AM   #53
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I realised that Wilbur would have an unfortunate short form, rather relevant to the 12" innuendo.
So you don't want Richard either?

That's a shame, Richard is a great name.

You could try "Al". This might work on two fronts: there's the Sci-Fi connotation ("Al" is shorter than "Hal"); or the musical one from Paul Simon "You Can Cal Me Al" (is this little laptop facing a midlife crisis?).

"Al" is also a difficult name to make shorter.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #54
BookCat
C L J

gmw: Because I'm particularly fond of cats I used to call that song "You Can Call Meow". If I sang along with it, that is what I would sing. Oh, we're showing our ages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

I tend to name computers and typewriters after their maker's name. For example, I have a Hewlett Packard called Hewey; another Lenovo Thinpad called Lenny; a Smith Corona typewriter called Mr Smith; a Sharpe typewriter called Oscar (sharp wit), and I used to have an Olympiette called Olly.

Lenovo Thinkpad X200. My ideas so far: Tooey; Paddy; Brains (after the Think bit), but I'm not happy with any of them. I've thought of anagrams of Lenovo, but have only come up with No Love and On Love, neither of which are very nice.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-08-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #55
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Al would work with the "Think" thread (Albert Einstein). Using similar logic you could also try Steve, Stephen or Hawk.

Then there's just L.T. (I'm sure I've seen a movie or something recently where one of the characters was called L.T. but I can't remember if it was a goody or a baddy). And having found LT, you could try Lieutenant.

You might also call it Legend - see here.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #56
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
gmw: Because I'm particularly fond of cats I used to call that song "You Can Call Meow". If I sang along with it, that is what I would sing. Oh, we're showing our ages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

I tend to name computers and typewriters after their maker's name. For example, I have a Hewlett Packard called Hewey; another Lenovo Thinpad called Lenny; a Smith Corona typewriter called Mr Smith; a Sharpe typewriter called Oscar (sharp wit), and I used to have an Olympiette called Olly.

Lenovo Thinkpad X200. My ideas so far: Tooey; Paddy; Brains (after the Think bit), but I'm not happy with any of them. I've thought of anagrams of Lenovo, but have only come up with No Love and On Love, neither of which are very nice.
You just made me feel wonderful. I name my appliances. Lenovo would be Lenny. I need to learn to read. Lenovo ThinkPad is Leonard or Leo.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #57
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

How about Kevin?

The logic that gave me Kevin was: L.T. (Lettuce and Tomato) is boring, it's missing the Bacon. So Kevin? Obvious .

I can't say I've named appliances, but cars and computers always get names. With the computers I usually follow a particular theme or themes: at the moment I've a Three Musketeers (real computers) and also a Norse gods (virtual computers) thing going on. Some years ago I had a Discworld theme, so obviously the laptop got called Luggage.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #58
BookCat
C L J

Leo might work: he's a small laptop with a big ego (I'm a Leo too, at least in birth sign.)

The other name I've played with is Nubi. I temporarily gave that name to a kitten in a feral colony that I rescued some time ago. He was the last to be trapped, hence Newbie, but I changed the spelling to match that of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis. Nubi found a new home with one of his siblings, Smudge, and their names were changed.
As the laptop is a new (ish) arrival, I've been calling him "the new one". But I'm not sure I want him to be named after the god of the dead.

So I think he's going to be Leo; after all, he's a writing laptop and there's Leo Tolstoy, and Leonard Woolf. It suits him. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #59
BookCat
C L J

For anyone who's interested, his name is now Mr Leo.

Tags
computer screen size, does size matter, writing computer