Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
BunnyGal
Enthusiast
BunnyGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX
Help with custom search to create virtual library

Hello and Happy New Year!

Hoping someone can help me with a search issue i'm having.

My Calibre Library has over 4,000 cookbooks from all over the world, covering every type of cuisine, cooking method, etc.

I want to create a virtual library for the books that have cookie recipes (for my teenage daughter who loves to bake cookies)

Many of my books "contain" cookie recipes, such as complete cookbooks and beginner cookbooks - basic cookbooks that have a bit of everything, but I want a virtual library of the books with "cookie" or "cookies" in the title and ONLY in the title.

I've tried to do this through an advanced search. I go to the "title/author/series" tab and enter "cookie" or "cookie" in the title field - leaving the other fields blank. Even though i'm entering the search criteria in the "title" field of the search feature, the results that come back are books that have the words ANYWHERE within the metadata - such as comments, tags, book description, etc.

I've tried the "advanced search" feature and entered the words "cookie" or "cookies" in the "all these words" field and within the same search then went through the cumbersome task of filling in the "but dont show entries that have any of these words" and in the "dont show", I put in words such as "complete" cookbook" etc. The results of that come back as dont show books with cookies OR complete - not show "cookies" but not "complete" (if that makes sense)

Seems no matter what type of search I try, I cant limit the results to the title and only the title of the book - if the word i'm searching for is NOT in the title, but is in the "comments" section, then it shows up as part of the "title" search (when it shouldn't)

Im guessing that this is either an undiscovered program glitch OR I'm doing something wrong! Likely, its me.

Can someone please help me. If you need more details or screen shots, please let me know.

Thank you!

Lisa
BunnyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Try

Code:
title:cookies or title:cookie
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui....arch-interface

I suspect that your searches was for

Code:
title:cookies or cookie
That means search for books with titles that contains "cookies" or books that have "cookie" anywhere in the metadata.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
If you just make virtual library with search
Code:
title:cookie
it will find titles containing cookies as well as titles containing cookie because it is a search for title contains cookie

Now I have a craving for cookies....

Last edited by unboggling; 01-04-2014 at 04:37 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
You could be using your tags area for this also.

For example, a complete cookbook that has darn near everything would have tags such as "Complete meal, deserts, appetizers, cookies, cakes, puddings, pasta, casseroles" and a sweets cookbook may have tags "cookies, cakes, candy" etc.

This will allow you to use your tags column (on the right hand side under authors) to select the type of cookbook you wish to use. You can also add a tag such as good or proven to help narrow your search. This keeps your title clean and is a very fast way to find what you are looking for.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Thank you and a follow up question re title search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Try

Code:
title:cookies or title:cookie
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui....arch-interface

I suspect that your searches was for

Code:
title:cookies or cookie
That means search for books with titles that contains "cookies" or books that have "cookie" anywhere in the metadata.

Perhaps you can help me with a follow up issue

I have a virtual library based on the search: Title:raw which is intended to give me the list of raw food cookbooks. It does, but it also gives me the cookbooks that have the word "raw" in a larger word - such as D"raw"ing.

How do I tell it that raw must be a stand alone word in the title and not part of a larger word?

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post

Perhaps you can help me with a follow up issue

I have a virtual library based on the search: Title:raw which is intended to give me the list of raw food cookbooks. It does, but it also gives me the cookbooks that have the word "raw" in a larger word - such as D"raw"ing.

How do I tell it that raw must be a stand alone word in the title and not part of a larger word?

Thanks again.
title:"raw" <the quotes are important in your case
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
title:"raw" <the quotes are important in your case
I do have the quotes.
I've tried title:"raw" and i've also tried title:"=raw".
The "raw" returns anything with the letters 'raw' in the title and if I include the = sign i get a no results found message.

Here is a screenshot of my search query and the results. Look at items 23 and 24 on the list vs. what I searched for. Help?

EDIT: I cant seem to insert the photo - here is a link to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67955435@N06/11863157136/

Last edited by BunnyGal; 01-09-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Picture is not coming in?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps someone knows something better, but you could try the following regular expressions search:
Code:
title:"~\braw\b"
The ~ turns it into a regex search, the \b matches a word boundary (either beginning or end of word).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post

Thanks again.
This works for me.

Code:
title:" raw "
oh, never mind, that misses raw at start or end.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
This works for me.

Code:
title:" raw "
Does it match for just the word "raw" without a space in front/back? That was why I think maybe regex would work better.

EDIT: You edited while I typed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Does it match for just the word "raw" without a space in front? That was why I think maybe regex would work better.
Yeah. You're right. I had a brain burp.

Tags
custom search, search, virtual library