Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Icon representing and ebook reading device

Can somebody who's good with graphics come up with a nice scalable icon that represents an ebook reader? I need one for libprs500, the present icon looks like a cell phone, and I suck at graphics.

For technical reasons I need the icon to be in SVG format (or any scalable format that can be converted into SVG).

Thanks.

Take a look at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Screenshots to see the current icon.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quick and dirty. Might work.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 prs505.svg.tar.bz2 (450 Bytes, 310 views)
File Type: bz2 prs505ds.svg.tar.bz2 (451 Bytes, 310 views)
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The svg files just contain a link to the png which I assume is a picture of the 505? I'd rather have a generic ereader icon rather a picture of the 505. Also since its an embedded PNG it wont be scalable. But thanks for trying :-)
Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I haven't worked with svg graphics much before. It was just a shot.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I like svg because it's scalable and plain text, which means I can edit it in a text editor. Plus I think all modern linux desktops will move to SVG icons eventually.
Advert
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Take a look at the "mobileread logo" thread -- you might like some of the icons there.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah i have unfortunately, they aren't scalable either.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Like this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip sr.zip (136.5 KB, 381 views)
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
yeah i have unfortunately, they aren't scalable either.
But if you like one of them, the creator would probably be able to make a scalable version for you.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you know the largest size the icon will be scaled to and the non-scalable icon is the same size or larger, then would not reducing it from there be just fine? it's not as if you'd have to make it larger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Like this?
Yeah the new reader does look nice. But I would prefer a generic device icon, as libprs500 may well support non SONY readers in the future.

@nekokami: I actually did ask one of the creators of the mobileread logos for a scalable version, unfortunately, he couldn't make one.

@jswolf: You're right in that if you have a large enough icon, scaling down doesn't matter, but I find that to be not future proof in the sense that if later I decide I need a larger icon somewhere, I'd be stuck. ALso large icon files waste disk space.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I made a more generic one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip er.zip (93.1 KB, 363 views)
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
charkins
charkins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
check with tango folks

You might want to check with the tango-artists mailing list (tango.freedesktop.org).
charkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Macromedia (Adobe) Flash has a nice trace function for converting bitmaps to scalable vector graphics. I've got a copy. PM if you want me to try to convert one of the logos.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I made a more generic one.
There's something weird with the file. Although I can see the icon in my file browser, inkscape seems unable to open it properly (it opens/imports it, you can select it, but there's nothing to be seen).

Also, firefox (which can read standard svg) can't open it, period.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote