Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #46
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
I don't get why you are so defensive in your first post and your thread title. Being a Star Trek fan is not as nerdy as it was probably used to be.
To read books about stuff you like is pretty common.

No need for being defensive, it is not a strange thing to like Star Trek.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The thing I like about star treck books is that I have seen what the characters look like so there is no mistaking what they look like or how they dress. Makes visualization of the characters much simpler.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Also the mannerisms....it's kind of nice if you are kind of speed reading through them, you already know how the characters will react and things like that.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I don't get why you are so defensive in your first post and your thread title. Being a Star Trek fan is not as nerdy as it was probably used to be.
To read books about stuff you like is pretty common.

No need for being defensive, it is not a strange thing to like Star Trek.
I strongly agree with this. With novels, it is possible to do things that would be far too expensive or not possible on the big/small screen.

It is the same reason I still enjoy comic books. As an example of the above, with the recent movie "Green Lantern" special effects have recently reached a level where it became possible to do on screen, except via animation, what was done in the comics in the early 1960s.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #50
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Being a Star Trek fan is not as nerdy as it was probably used to be.
Depends where you live.

Out here in rural Germany, many people still consider science fiction harmful to tender developing minds. Good thing I made peace with my inner nerd many years ago...

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 03-06-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #51
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Depends where you live.

Out here in rural Germany, many people still consider science fiction harmful to tender developing minds. Good thing I made peace with my inner nerd many years ago...
I am from Germany and I have not experienced this attitude.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #52
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I suspect it varies from region to region.

Also, I hang out mostly with other mothers of small children. If I was a student at a University, or living in a metropolitan area, I suspect I wouldn't sense so much opposition to all that weird, impractical violent stuff in SF books and video games.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #53
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Depends where you live.

Wait... what? Ich verstehe das nicht.

I was looking at a used Trek book in a store once, a TNG novel about the Enterprise encountering a society that lives on a massive fleet of sublight ships, and who are about to fight another group. The novel's one of intrique and diplomacy. I can't remember the name for the life of me, but I remember checking online at the time and seeing nothing but good reviews. I regret not picking it up.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Wait... what? Ich verstehe das nicht.

I was looking at a used Trek book in a store once, a TNG novel about the Enterprise encountering a society that lives on a massive fleet of sublight ships, and who are about to fight another group. The novel's one of intrigue and diplomacy. I can't remember the name for the life of me, but I remember checking online at the time and seeing nothing but good reviews. I regret not picking it up.
Read the chart and get going. 8-]
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new eBook is out today.

Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack is the last book in the Vanguard series.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #56
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I used to read a lot of Star Trek novels. I think I got to the point where I had read them all, and once I didn't have anything more to read I stopped. Of course, if I start again, there's a backlog of books to read. I haven't read as many of the DS9 books, I'm more interested in stories that take off from where the series ended rather than the book just being another episode (although that is OK too).

There is a debate on whether events that created the new movie timeline made the previous timeline never have happened. But I can still watch the episodes, and that new books are being created tells me that the original timeline is alive and well! ;-) I thought the movie was fun, but I don't think it will carry Star Trek forward. When the producers say that there are no more ideas, it is that THEY have run out of ideas, it's not the same thing at all. I think books set in the original timeline will dominate over the new movie timeline.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The new timeline is an alternate timeline. If it wasn't, it would be a paradox and that's not allowed to happen. So what happened was once the timeline changed, it became another timeline.

As for the books, they are very good and I do suggest you keep on reading.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #58
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new eBook is out today.

Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack is the last book in the Vanguard series.
Would that be a required reading before all the other books in your chart? I see you have the Vanguard books as the first ones to read.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Would that be a required reading before all the other books in your chart? I see you have the Vanguard books as the first ones to read.
Nothing really is required before these.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #60
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new timeline is an alternate timeline. If it wasn't, it would be a paradox and that's not allowed to happen. So what happened was once the timeline changed, it became another timeline.

As for the books, they are very good and I do suggest you keep on reading.
The following is my own view on the new Star Trek movie and its resulting timelines (I'll put it in a spoiler for those who've not seen the movie):

Spoiler:
The way the movie presented it, I think that there are the following timelines:

- When Nero and Crew (N&C) reappears the timeline splits in two and these are the results:

-- Timeline One: N&C does not appear. This is the original timeline.

-- Timeline Two: N&C reappears. The beginning of the movie takes place in this timeline.

- When Spock-Prime reappears, once again the timeline splits in two with the following resulting timelines:

-- Timeline One: Original timeline, neither N&C and/or Spock-Prime reappear.

-- Timeline Two: N&C does appear but Spock-Prime does not reappear. Again, the beginning of the movie takes place in this timeline.

-- Timeline Three: N&C and Spock-Prime both reappear. This is the timeline where the movie takes place.

To me, once N&C and Spock-Prime left the original timeline they can never return to it.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote