Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
rmnelson
rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD
Refurb Kindle 4 from Woot can't login to Amazon

I just got my first Kindle and attempted several times to login to my Amazon account without success. I even disabled 2FA which didn't help. I assume that Woot, being owned by Amazon, is not selling stolen Kindles, so that leads me to believe that the software is out of date.

The sale page alleged that the Kindles were checked by Amazon techs. I logged in with my Amazon account and just assumed that Amazon would add the Kindle to my account when they shipped.

I can't tell what the current software is, and there is no way to access anything in the menu beyond the Amazon login. Am I cooked, or is there some other way to get this working?
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
See this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202048000

Quote:
The most recent software update for some Kindle e-readers provides updates needed to continue using some services on your device. This update should automatically download and install when your Kindle is charging and connected to a Wi-Fi network. If it doesn't, you may need to manually install the update to regain access to these features.
Edit: Not sure about your menu access issue. Can you access the usb storage? If so, try downloading the latest firmware, copy it to the root of the usb storage and reboot the kindle (press and hold the power button for 40 seconds if you still can't access the menu).

Last edited by JimmyR; 01-16-2019 at 11:38 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Call or email Amazon Kindle help

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ndle-help.html
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 AM   #4
rmnelson
rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
See this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202048000

Edit: Not sure about your menu access issue. Can you access the usb storage? If so, try downloading the latest firmware, copy it to the root of the usb storage and reboot the kindle (press and hold the power button for 40 seconds if you still can't access the menu).
Yes, I can access the USB storage. And after a couple of 40 second resets I also was finally able to access the settings menu. I updated to v. 4.1.3 and was able to sign in. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's good that everything worked out, but I have to question whether the refurbishment process included, well, refurbishing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's good that everything worked out, but I have to question whether the refurbishment process included, well, refurbishing.
I've bought a couple of refurb Kindles from Woot and they actually had factory firmware (several versions older than what's available on website).

Maybe they never had a factory image of the latest firmware version for the Kindle 4 since it was already discontinued by the time the firmware update was released?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've bought a couple of refurb Kindles from Woot and they actually had factory firmware (several versions older than what's available on website).

Maybe they never had a factory image of the latest firmware version for the Kindle 4 since it was already discontinued by the time the firmware update was released?
Not having the latest customer firmware can be a good thing, but if the device won't talk to the store and there is an update which will enable it to talk to the store, and it is to be sold as refurbished, it should either be updated or there should be a warning that it can not connect to the store.

Just how extensive is refurb testing anyway?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not having the latest customer firmware can be a good thing, but if the device won't talk to the store and there is an update which will enable it to talk to the store, and it is to be sold as refurbished, it should either be updated or there should be a warning that it can not connect to the store.

Just how extensive is refurb testing anyway?
Yeah, quite useful. One of the reasons I bought the PW3 manga from Woot was because someone else has reported that it came with jailbreakable firmware.

My guess, not very. Probably just a simple diagnostics check and then a flash of factory image.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
rmnelson

I've got everything working well now. I've been using a Kobo for years, but this is my first Kindle, so I am not familiar at all with model numbers and names. I've been using Kindle for Mac to load Calibre so I could read books from Amazon on my Kobo, and finally bought the refurb to streamline the conversion process and also as a backup reader for the Kobo.

I think what confused me more than anything else about the process was that Woot sold me a "Kindle 4th Gen" and I kept getting helpful hints for the Kindle Touch; I guess my google fu is just not up to the task. Once I found the serial number I got better results in my searches.

The Kindle was listed on Woot as "scratch & dent" and it is that. But the screen is scratch free, it charged up full in 3 hours, all the buttons work, and the latest firmware fixed my login problem. For $22 I don't feel ripped off, and it does make my Calibre system easier. I assumed that "refurbished" meant "updated", but now I know. Anyway, thanks for the help.