Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question AmazonSmile Help: 2G and 3G E-Reader Network Support FAQ

I live in the UK
Will this affect my downloading EBooks to my 2nd generation Kindle soon by usb so I can convert?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...H6AASHTERXBKNV
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
I live in the UK
Will this affect my downloading EBooks to my 2nd generation Kindle soon by usb so I can convert?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...H6AASHTERXBKNV
Why are you lining to Amazon US when you live in the UK. That has nothing to do with you unless it's from Amazon UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's got nothing to do with USB use. We always select "Download to PC and copy via USB" option with Amazon and never use 3G (One Kindle has 2G/3G and no WiFi).

But also it's the USA and UK isn't affected anyway.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you lining to Amazon US when you live in the UK. That has nothing to do with you unless it's from Amazon UK.
A friend sent me the link as she needed advice and I really wasn't sure if it applied to UK too
Old 08-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's got nothing to do with USB use. We always select "Download to PC and copy via USB" option with Amazon and never use 3G (One Kindle has 2G/3G and no WiFi).

But also it's the USA and UK isn't affected anyway.
Thanks for the info
These forums are great for help.
Advert
Old 08-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, the UK is going to be dropping 2G and 3G support over the next few years though there seems to be little agreement about when. You might also check the Telecoms Diversification Taskforce: findings and report. One oddity is that it seems that 2G may be supported longer than 3G since quite a few embedded devices are still using 2G.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The true GSM 2G is far more reliable than 3G which due to USA lobbying (Qualcomm mostly) was based on the inferior USA 2G CDMA-1.
No cell breathing and if you only need lower data rates for meter reading, traffic light status and home alarms etc then the range and spectrum efficiency is good too. It uses only 0.2 MHz channels vs the 5 MHz for 3G/HSPA etc. Though originally it was only 14.4K bps or 28.8 k bps (using 2 channels), it can now do about 240 k on many masts, though a better signal is needed. Whereas 3G has severe cell breathing and management issues. The 4G can run in 5MHz, 10 MHz or 20 MHz channels. The 5G is mostly about telco paid access instead of WiFi at hotspots and line-of-sight on higher bands for stadiums, race courses etc.

But anyway even for Cell/Mobile only Kindles the only issue is Time/Date setting if the battery is flat. A jail break and USB network connection allows that to be set. The ebooks bought from Amazon can be Sideloaded / USB. The batteries are available and easy to replace on the old models.

However even a Kobo Libra is only about the price of ten non-discount paper books in a local shop and even if the Kindle is dead the serial number works to remove DRM so you can read your old ebooks on a new ereader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:00 AM   #8
Jo69
Addict

Thanks for more info
It is mainly still being able to download and then convert my books I will still hope to do in the future.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Thanks for more info
It is mainly still being able to download and then convert my books I will still hope to do in the future.
Generally, it's easier to download your books using either the download and transfer via USB or using K4PC/K4Mac to get them on your computer. For those purposes, 2G/3G/4G/5G support by a Kindle ereader is pretty much irrelevant.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:51 AM   #10
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Generally, it's easier to download your books using either the download and transfer via USB or using K4PC/K4Mac to get them on your computer. For those purposes, 2G/3G/4G/5G support by a Kindle ereader is pretty much irrelevant.
Hi David
Thats what I really wanted to know.
I use download and transfer via USB to get my books and was trying to understand if any eventual changes to would affect still using my kindle 2nd generation.
Just wondered if my kindle would still show on Amazon then if its eventually not supported?