Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #31
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just installed this on my (original) H2O. Seems to work fine and has some nice new options (especially with the patches!). I do have one issue however.

When reading epub's (haven't tested kepub files), There seems to be a rather large gap between the bottom of the text, and the footer. The footer size itself does not appear to be the problem, as I've tried the "custom footer style" and the new "footer size" patch, which doesn't really help. Also note that I have the "widows/orphans" patch enabled, so it's not that.

For the moment, I'm trying the "fullscreen" options, which seems to work well enough, but I do miss the footer. I'm wondering if a value has been hardcoded for 300 DPI screens, making the gap larger on lower DPI screens like the H2O.

Anyway, I'm not going to scream too loudly, seeing as this firmware version is not meant for the H2O.

(Note, I happen to like some whitespace. Emphasis on the "some". The current whitespace I'm seeing is excessive)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
When reading epub's (haven't tested kepub files), There seems to be a rather large gap between the bottom of the text, and the footer. The footer size itself does not appear to be the problem, as I've tried the "custom footer style" and the new "footer size" patch, which doesn't really help. Also note that I have the "widows/orphans" patch enabled, so it's not that.
One of the new patches for 4.11.1192 reduces the footer size similar to the kepub header reduction patch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #33
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of the new patches for 4.11.1192 reduces the footer size similar to the kepub header reduction patch.
Tried that, as I mentioned in my original post. Yes, the new patch that was released today. That one.

As I said, I don't think it's the footer itself that's the issue. Appears to be either the margin above the footer, or margin below the renderer, or similar.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Just installed this on my (original) H2O. Seems to work fine and has some nice new options (especially with the patches!). I do have one issue however.

For the moment, I'm trying the "fullscreen" options, which seems to work well enough, but I do miss the footer. I'm wondering if a value has been hardcoded for 300 DPI screens, making the gap larger on lower DPI screens like the H2O.

Anyway, I'm not going to scream too loudly, seeing as this firmware version is not meant for the H2O.

(Note, I happen to like some whitespace. Emphasis on the "some". The current whitespace I'm seeing is excessive)
On a page with the screen as full as it gets, tap the screen and bring menu bars. The line at the top of the footer is the bottom of the text area. That is what you need to measure the "wasted" space against.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #35
sherman
Guru

I completely disabled all patches and have done a bit of testing. It appears to me what has happened is the previous (4.8) firmware allowed the text to encroach into the footer region a bit, so long as it didn't cover the actual "page n of nn" text. I seem to recall the bottom menu covering a bit of text previously (which never bothered me).

The current firmware appears to be enforcing a minimum gap between the footer region and the text, so depending on the font size, style and metrics, this could become quite a gap.

Also, there is now a bit of whitespace at the top of the page, which didn't exist before. I don't actually mind that however.
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #36
sherman
Guru

Ok, putting the patches back on, including the reduce footer size patch seems to indicate to me that Kobo appears to have changed the dimensions of their epub render surface (ie. made it shorter).

Making the footer smaller doesn't change where the lines of text stop.

I also note that the "page n of nn" text appears to have more whitespace below it, which probably also helps explain the changes.

All of this makes me wonder if it's possible to change the dimensions of the surface which epubs render to. I'm pretty sure Nickel probably creates a surface for RMSDK to render to. EDIT: Maybe pixmapsurface might be something to search for...

Last edited by sherman; 11-17-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I completely disabled all patches and have done a bit of testing. It appears to me what has happened is the previous (4.8) firmware allowed the text to encroach into the footer region a bit, so long as it didn't cover the actual "page n of nn" text. I seem to recall the bottom menu covering a bit of text previously (which never bothered me).
I'll completely disagree with that. I have never seen the text going beyond the line of the bottom bar area. Maybe there were some patches that did that, but the unpatched firmware has never done it. There has been far to much discussion about the "wasted" space for this not to have come up.
Quote:
The current firmware appears to be enforcing a minimum gap between the footer region and the text, so depending on the font size, style and metrics, this could become quite a gap.
There has always been some space, but not much. Looking at my Glo HD, which is on 4.11.11982, I haven't noticed any changes. Or on the other devices. If it has changed, it is only a pixel or two.
Quote:
Also, there is now a bit of whitespace at the top of the page, which didn't exist before. I don't actually mind that however.
There is a bigger margin at the top with the title turned off than there was before in the epub reader. I didn't like it when there was none, but, there is a little more that I like now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #38
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll completely disagree with that. I have never seen the text going beyond the line of the bottom bar area. Maybe there were some patches that did that, but the unpatched firmware has never done it. There has been far to much discussion about the "wasted" space for this not to have come up.
I'll eat humble pie on that one. I went back and did a factory reset, then upgraded to 4.8.x, and you're right on the money.

Also, the difference is not as bad as thought, although there does appear to be a slight increase in whitespace at the bottom. 4.8.x was approx 14mm from the bottom edge, whereas 4.11.x appears to be about 16mm. Measurements to the baseline of the last line of text.

I'm going to tentatively attribute the difference to the increase to the top whitespace allowing for one less line to fit, but the increased top whitespace is less than a line of text, therefore the bottom whitespace increases slightly. And no, I haven't counted lines, so I may be wrong here.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #39
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Has anyone installed this firmware on ka1? I did it and bricked mine, and I had to factory reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #40
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
This firmware runs absolutely stable on my Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition (version 1) as well as on the Kobo Aura H2O 1st generation.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 AM   #41
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I'll eat humble pie on that one. I went back and did a factory reset, then upgraded to 4.8.x, and you're right on the money.

Also, the difference is not as bad as thought, although there does appear to be a slight increase in whitespace at the bottom. 4.8.x was approx 14mm from the bottom edge, whereas 4.11.x appears to be about 16mm. Measurements to the baseline of the last line of text.

I'm going to tentatively attribute the difference to the increase to the top whitespace allowing for one less line to fit, but the increased top whitespace is less than a line of text, therefore the bottom whitespace increases slightly. And no, I haven't counted lines, so I may be wrong here.

Did you check for padding or margins coded in the book your testing with? Of course they won’t change in the different firmware versions, but they might give you more white space than you like...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
Has anyone installed this firmware on ka1? I did it and bricked mine, and I had to factory reset it.

Me, with patches, as in Aura Ed 2, and no brick at all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #43
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
11980 works on my Kobo Aura One.

ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #44
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

My H2O@ is on its way, should be here today or tomorrow, am I correct in thinking that Edition 2 Version 1 is a "Mark 6", not a "Mark 7"? If that's so, how do I find out which version mine is, and would this firmware work on the older version?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #45
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
My H2O@ is on its way, should be here today or tomorrow, am I correct in thinking that Edition 2 Version 1 is a "Mark 6", not a "Mark 7"? If that's so, how do I find out which version mine is, and would this firmware work on the older version?
Yes. This firmware should work on any kobo ereader. The answer to your second question can be found on my kobo firmware page. Basically: If the 7th digit of your serial number is a 2 you have the second version, otherwise you have the first version.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote