Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
First things first: this is a stability release focused on the wake-from-sleep issue. No new features, yet.
And you're testing the update process.

(I'm a computer programmer.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Meh. It didn't fix the "wake while sleeping problem" I thought this update was supposed to?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
----------------------------------------

Please explain 'initial'?!?

After your first application of this update...how did you enable another one other than a Factory Reset? I want to keep all my data as it is...
I mean the update that happened out of the box. I'm sure the issue with the progress bar is simply a UI glitch and not meaningful in any way.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 11-24-2011 at 06:10 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
And you're testing the update process.

(I'm a computer programmer.)
Tee hee!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
Tordre
Tordre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Vox
Update worked well here. Much smoother than other android devices I have used. I don't know if it fixed wake from sleep for me, but it did make the option to use a book cover as a lock screen work(which it didn't before).

Cannot wait for more updates to take better advantage of the hardware in this. It did tell me that my uid was different and I should do a factory reset (but not forcing me to... nice touch ), after playing around with it, I decided to take its advice (not because of any errors, just felt like I wanted to be back to factory settings again).
Tordre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
BradenW
BradenW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch; Kobo Vox
So what is the build number of this update? How do I know if I have it?

Frankly, when I click on "System Update" in settings, my status bar disappears and the thing just sits there, with no indication whatsoever that anything is happening. The thing is entirely unresponsive except for the back arrow button at the bottom, which just brings back my status bar and the thing becomes responsive again. Otherwise, nothing ...
BradenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
Settings--Kobo Reader---Check Updates.
Actually, tap on the menu button (4 horizontal lines) and it's "Settings", "About Kobo Reader" (last one on the menu), "System Update".
You then get a pop-up window asking if you want to update now or later. Update now gives you a "Downloading Update" window that says "please do not turn off your Kobo eReader or press any buttons while we download a new update".
Blue line cycles through white bar at bottom of window and the Kobo powers off by itself.
Kobo then powers on with message "Software Update --- the software on your Kobo eReader is being updated. Once the update has completed, it will restart".
Vox restarts by itself, update is done!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradenW View Post
Frankly, when I click on "System Update" in settings, my status bar disappears and the thing just sits there, with no indication whatsoever that anything is happening. The thing is entirely unresponsive except for the back arrow button at the bottom, which just brings back my status bar and the thing becomes responsive again. Otherwise, nothing ...
I had that problem too. What you need to do is restart your Vox, then check for system update using that same "System Update" button in the settings. Once I did this, I actually got a pop up telling me it was searching for updates.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #24
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Look in the About Kobo Reader area - at the very bottom it shows the OS version, which should have 20111117 in it somewhere.

It did notify me when the install was done, but seems a tad less responsive.

EDIT: Post edited for legibility, was posted from the Vox. I also noticed the WiFi indicator wasn't turning on correctly, although Wireless Network settings did show my IP and that I was connected.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-24-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
BradenW
BradenW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch; Kobo Vox
Oh for the love of ... OK that worked, thanks.

I guess how getting to the exact same spot in the menu by one path seems to work and another one doesn't is just one of those mysterious byproducts of the "release-it-now-and-fix-it-later" strategies that is all too common in development shops these days ...
BradenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Yup, that one didn't want to come through my firewall :-/
What I mean is for the others: if the above suggestions don't work, try them again on your neighbours' Wifi.

By the way, something actually improved here. Can't wait for more updates! :-) Thanks!

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-24-2011 at 08:04 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Okay, I went to settings, about kobo ereader, system update (check for system update) and nothing happened. My build number is not the same as the latest so not sure what I am doing wrong.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Post #22, #23, otherwise skip to #26 and repeat.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Post #22, #23, otherwise skip to #26 and repeat.
Thank you, #23 worked, somehow I missed that post when reading through the thread.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #30
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
The progress bar may not go all the way to the end - it's tough to be really accurate with those things. If the Vox restarts and the build number is up to date, you're good to go.

Also, the wake-from-sleep and the wake-while-sleeping issues are different. The former is supposed to be addressed by this update, the latter is a 3rd party app issue that we are working with our partners to resolve.

Finally, the YouTube and video stuff is still in progress. We're working as fast as we can on it, and want to get it right. As for Netflix - I'm told they are working on it. Will provide any information on this as I learn it...

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote