Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #29026
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've been offline for a few days, but since I last posted, I have completed:
  • Proof of Guilt by Charles Todd
  • The Turn of the Screw by Henry James for the A Public Space bookclub
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo which I absolutely loved
  • Sunshine Sketches by Stephen Leacock which I did not like at all, but it has made me want to re-read Winesburg, Ohio. This was for the New Leaf Book Club
  • A Conspiracy of Ravens by Leah Moore

I am currently reading:
  • Gently Sinking by Alan Hunter
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot - one of my favorite novels of all time. Right up there with War and Peace.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #29027
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
My 5 star review of The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3), by Rick Riordan.

Spoiler:
Five full stars. It's been a cumulative journey from the Lightning Thief. We finally got the full court of gods to observe. Riordan handled himself superbly, creating great set pieces to charm our hearts.

I loved everything about the book. Camp Half-Blood was a nest of intrigue, plotting, and backstabbing from the beginning. For once Riordan transcended his plagiarist issues and became a gifted author in my esteem.

This is the type of blueprint to follow when writing your own book. There was no real special knowledge about the book unless you don't know about the geography and landmarks of the US. A toast! To Percy and Rick, the inheritors of a golden epoch. What a great adventure!
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #29028
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am currently reading:
  • Gently Sinking by Alan Hunter
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot - one of my favorite novels of all time. Right up there with War and Peace.
I finished the Hunter novel and started the first book in Kate Elliott's brand new series Unconquerable Sun. It is also captioned as gender-swapped Alexander the Great in space! My wife loves history and she actually pinged on it before I did.

I've never read Elliott before, but this one was tagged both space opera and LGBTQ, so I had to give it a shot. Not disappointed so far.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 07-22-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #29029
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Oathbreaker (Legend of the Gods #1) by Aaron Hodges. This appears to be written for a younger audience. It didn't have the depth and seriousness that would allow me to rate the book higher. Still, it was a fun quick read that I somehow picked up without cost. The book does end on a cliffhanger which I don't like. Also, there were several noticeable typos but otherwise competently written. Rated D+ [2 stars].

Next, a library book, Hella by David Gerrold. It's been a long time since I read a book with dinosaurs ().
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #29030
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I finished the Hunter novel and started the first book in Kate Elliott's brand new series Unconquerable Sun. It is also captioned as gender-swapped Alexander the Great in space! My wife loves history and she actually pinged on it before I did.

I've never read Elliott before, but this one was tagged both space opera and LGBTQ, so I had to give it a shot. Not disappointed so far.
Sounds interesting, but the list price is way outside my budget, and the hold time at the library is 10 weeks. Well, I went ahead and put it on hold. At least, with that library, they let me have 25 on hold.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:37 AM   #29031
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And it turns out to be a bit depressing. The main character is virtuous, although it's not explained why he appears to be the only character not corrupt in some way. I'll try the next one when the series next gets picked randomly as my next read, in case it improves. 3/5
[Michael Dibden Ratking] I read that one a while back, maybe 8 years ago and the ending creeped me out. It was a paperback that I bought in London at a book store. I had a thing then for British editions. It was my only time in London even though I have two cousins there. One of the British TV channels had a mystery series based on these books and I was afraid they would do that one. I never did see that one on TV, so maybe they didn't do it.

Last edited by mlewis78; 07-23-2020 at 12:41 AM.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #29032
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sounds interesting, but the list price is way outside my budget, and the hold time at the library is 10 weeks. Well, I went ahead and put it on hold. At least, with that library, they let me have 25 on hold.
It is a delight so far. Also has one of my favorite things in science fiction (other than female protagonists) - aliens who do not look human! Also, somehow, I was the first person to put it on hold at my library, which SHOCKED me.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #29033
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. A collection of his shorter works.
A very good collection of horror-leaning short stories. Although how Black Shuck manages to travel to somewhere that has dry stone walls, I'm not sure.

4/5 only because I'm not a big horror fan.

Next up: The Better Part of Valour by Tanya Huff. Second in her confederation series. Apparently I read the first back in January 2016 and gave it 3/5. If this one isn't better, I might abandon the series.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #29034
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Finally finished Nightscape by Stephen R, George which was captivatingly weird and getting into The Woods by Harlan Coben.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #29035
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Better Part of Valour by Tanya Huff. Second in her confederation series. Apparently I read the first back in January 2016 and gave it 3/5. If this one isn't better, I might abandon the series.
And it's decent enough MilSF. I still don't like the graceful, sexy aliens, but it's OK, a solid 3/5. Not bad enough to discard - it's perfectly readable and enjoyable. But I feel no need to rush on with the rest of the series.

Next up: Another random choice, Vendetta by Michael Dibden. The second in his Aurelio Zen series. I've only just finished the first one, but that's randomness for you. Let's see if I like this one better,
Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #29036
NiMa
Zealot
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on a Kobo Libra. I'm beginning in English reading (my tongue is French). I find it very interesting and somewhat mysterious, and that's what I like about Gaiman.
Otherwise, I'd be reading now some Lovecraft fiction. He's my favourite author. Thanks to the portability of the Kobo devices, I dropped the complete fiction in my Libra. What a joy!
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #29037
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 2 star review of The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan:-

Spoiler:
Well, that was not fun to read. It was a spectacular demotion where the author, probably cheered on by his agent, his near and dear and his well wishers, contrived not to get inspired for even one measly Chapter.

We must move on. I... must move on, but I can't, until the 5th book is read. Despite giving the previous book 5 stars, I didn't go in this book with any expectation or preconceived notion.

How ironical would it be if the God of wisdom has forsaken Riordan. It's sometimes disheartening to see so many words woven into so much tripe. I know exactly why this book is a success critically and commercially. But let's not reveal it here.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #29038
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
I finished Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell and I loved it. I adored Jasper, he was my favorite animal. The characters were such fun to hang out with.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:09 AM   #29039
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Another random choice, Vendetta by Michael Dibden. The second in his Aurelio Zen series. I've only just finished the first one, but that's randomness for you. Let's see if I like this one better,
I did like it better. Although there's still no explanation for Zen's character.

Next up: The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #29040
Luffy
Wizard

My one star review of Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16), by Jim Butcher:-

Spoiler:
Unsalvageable. I'm tempted to tell Jim Butcher to go screw himself, because he sure screwed his faithful. What's more, most of his fans are rating this book, praising it to the heavens.

There was an overemphasis on Mouse, the dog, and mention of a threesome, twice. If that kind of events happened in the author's life, then spice it up a little before serving it.

I know Butcher is a terrific writer, and I can see myself giving 5 stars to Battle Ground, but my personal opinion on this garbage book is that hype is a real thing that can reel in the gullible, the famished, the naive, and the fanatic.