Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2020, 02:58 AM   #28891
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Not sure.
I finished up Arcanum Unbounded from last year, as I've now read the books that were prior to a couple of the stories in it.

Next up: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. The third in his Stormlight Archive series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #28892
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
My 3 star review of Just One Look, by Harlan Coben:-

Spoiler:
Here's the thing. This is a very gripping thriller. But it's too slick. It lacks character. I enjoyed reading it thoroughly. Despite that, I'm not in love with the book.

I'm struggling to come up with a review that doesn't have spoilers. But if you put yourself in the shoes of the main female character, you'd come up with meaningful questions. Why did he have to die? Who is this someone sharing my bed?

Identity, the past, and greed play a fantastic part in the book. In many ways, the first chapter was the best one. It's hard to describe my feelings. I was entertained, but not satiated. This 2nd Harlan Coben is far better than this more modern book of his that I read, Run Away. I think I'll be fine if I stick to the author's old books.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:30 AM   #28893
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. The third in his Stormlight Archive series.
Which was excellent. Splendid epic fantasy. I'm looking forward to the fourth volume when it's on offer, or when my TBR pile gets to zero (currently 973).

Next up: Love in Amsterdam by Nicholas Freeling. A recent £0.99 purchase, prompted by the recent new Van der Valk TV series.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:57 AM   #28894
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Love in Amsterdam by Nicholas Freeling. A recent £0.99 purchase, prompted by the recent new Van der Valk TV series.
Abandoned at 50%. A long omniscient narrator recap of one suspect's entire history with the victim over a couple of decades was too much.

Then I bought and read The Physicians of Vilnoc by Lois McMaster Bujold. The latest (8th) in her Penric and Desdemona series of novellas.

Wonderful as expected. As usual, a complete tale in itself.

Next up: The Millers Dance by Winston Graham. The 9th in his Poldark series.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #28895
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 5 star review of Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4), by Elaine Viets:-

Spoiler:
This title cliched its fifth star only barely. I knew, however that Just Murdered would break my run of ill rated books. There was no great twist in the murderer's identity, but the author still made it work.

I loved this entry in the series. The ups and downs of Elaine Viets's heroine, Helen Hawthorne are a joy to read. The Dead-End Job mysteries is one of those book series that languish in semi anonymity. Each time you wonder how Helen is going to lose her present job.

Losing the current job was like pulling teeth. I hope that the 15th and last book herein gives some closure to us poor fans. I really think that the heroine should have stayed put. But that would not do for the author. She became victim of her own formula.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #28896
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: The Millers Dance by Winston Graham. The 9th in his Poldark series.
As expected, a good continuation of the historical melodrama.

Next up: In the Empire of Shadow by Lawrence Watt-Evans. The second in a trilogy. I read the first one back in 2015, and the details are a bit hazy, but I'm sure I'll catch up with the story line shortly.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #28897
Luffy
Wizard

My 2 star review of Rise of Empire, by Michael J Sullivan:-

Spoiler:
The Littlefingerising of Fantasy plots has now reached pox levels. I shudder to think what the landscape will look like when it will feel like the plague.

I'm sorry, but there is too much gristle in this book. It's perfect length should have been 500 pages at most. I'm not immune to the charms of an adventure on a ship, but even GoT book 5, A Dance With Dragons runs rings round this book using Tyrion's little legs.

Oh and the only death that caught me unawares was [name redacted]. The rest had Matsusaka Wagyu stamped all over them. The good bits were often worth reading, but too much is too much.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #28898
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: In the Empire of Shadow by Lawrence Watt-Evans. The second in a trilogy. I read the first one back in 2015, and the details are a bit hazy, but I'm sure I'll catch up with the story line shortly.
Details of the first book are still a little hazy, but I really enjoyed this one. A very good fantasy, and I'm looking forward to gettign to the third volume sometime this year, not in 2025

Next up: Watership Down by Richard Adams. I've never read this classic, so it's time to give it a go.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #28899
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I listened to the audiobook of Diana Athill's memoir Stet, focused on her decades in the publishing world, recently. Just started another book of hers, Letters to a Friend, as an ebook since it contains quoted poetry (the "friend" was a poet) that I'd rather skim.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #28900
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new Kindle Oasis (2017)
Just finished Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. The first set of 3 (or 6) books about Hadrian and Royce. Starts with Theft of Swords.
I really enjoyed them and recommend them.

Now onto Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #28901
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just got the final episode of a ten book time travel series I've been following, The Book of Revelations by Shanna Lauffey.

The series is The Chronicles of the Harekaiian or in the paperback omnibus editions, The Time Shifters Chronicles.

This has been an incredible series, more Mystery/Thriller than SciFi but with an interesting take on time travel. I plan to devour this last episode tonight.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #28902
Luffy
Wizard

My 5 star review of High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby:-

Spoiler:
I still don't know why I rated High Fidelity 5 stars. Most of these books don't stand a chance against an early Agatha Christie or a modern cozy, or a book by Dawkins... but I put all of them on the same level.

I'm going to watch the movie first time later this day. Most books that have first person view make it hell for me to get into. Not here. Reading this book was like meeting an old friend.

I don't know what Nick Hornby has gone through to piece together this ode. It feels real. It's real art. It's one of the best books I've read, ever. I am far, far from being the neurotic Rob, but this bitter ending upset me in a good way. I recommend this. By the way, I too like the Beatles a lot.

Last edited by Luffy; 05-23-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #28903
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm a little confused by your review
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

Spoiler:
I still don't know why I rated High Fidelity 5 stars. Most of these books don't stand a chance against an early Agatha Christie or a modern cozy, or a book by Dawkins... but I put all of them on the same level.

I'm going to watch the movie first time later this day. Most books that have first person view make it hell for me to get into. Not here. Reading this book was like meeting an old friend.

I don't know what Nick Hornby has gone through to piece together this ode. It feels real. It's real art. It's one of the best books I've read, ever. I am far, far from being the neurotic Rob, but this bitter ending upset me in a good way. I recommend this. By the way, I too like the Beatles a lot.
IMO, I would rate a book 5 stars if it was one of the best books I've read.

Did you see that he has a new book coming out?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #28904
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
Currently reading The Body in the Castle Well, which I should finish just before the next Bruno (pre-ordered on Kobo) is released. It's a tribute to Walker that as a teetotaller I have enjoyed all his "wine-soaked" stories and am actively looking forward to the next, unlike the Louise Penny Gamache series, the last of which felt like a tedious exercise in phoning it in.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #28905
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Currently reading The Body in the Castle Well, which I should finish just before the next Bruno (pre-ordered on Kobo) is released. It's a tribute to Walker that as a teetotaller I have enjoyed all his "wine-soaked" stories and am actively looking forward to the next, unlike the Louise Penny Gamache series, the last of which felt like a tedious exercise in phoning it in.
I just recently finished a re-read of the series, getting ready for The Shooting at Chateau Rock, due out Tuesday.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote