Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Setting up Kindle: To register or no? Wifi or no?

I'm learning a lot on here about managing libraries and the various pros and cons of the different ereaders. I decided to get a kobo and a kindle to try both.

As I said in a different thread, I'm interested in using a kindle primarily, or completely without Amazon's ecosystem. Someone suggested not registering the device, another suggested not turning on wifi.

If I want to build my own collection of DRM free ebooks, and transfer them to the kindle one way or another (I don't really care how...) can anyone recommend how I should setup the device and why?
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I recommend registering (with a throwaway email address, if you want) and then turning off wifi. Without registering you can't use collections and some other features.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Whether you should register is largely subjective, do you care about privacy & jailbreaks? Or is access to Amazon "collections" more important to you?

Registering gives you collections, the ability to email other books or documents to yourself to Amazon for delivery to your device and complementary invasion of your privacy. Amazon 'will track what you read, when you read and other big data, spam you accordingly and at least in the past, occasionally delete a book that they don't think you should have.

I'll stay unregistered, thank you. And wifi off as well (extra protection for my jailbreak). I can easily sideload books, that is transfer them from my computer to my device. You can get collections without registering if you jailbreak. But seems a moot point to me. Calibre will manage collections far better than Kindle ever will. So I let Calibre manage collections on my computer and just transfer a modest subset of books to my device for near-term reading which negates much need for collections on the device.

More valuable is adding useful metadata that you can use when searching for a book on your device. A huge number of books on Kindle just consumes battery as Kindle will try to index the entire text. And it's simply easier to navigate a reasonably sized subset of books on your Kindle. You can still interact or buy books from Amazon if you wish from your PC. If you decide to jailbreak you gain the ability to customize a lot of features e.g. screensavers and use alternate readers such as the inestimable koreader.

YMMV. If you want to register, you could "fake register" (see forum for details) or use a throwaway address as suggested by another poster.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
I'm learning a lot on here about managing libraries and the various pros and cons of the different ereaders. I decided to get a kobo and a kindle to try both.

As I said in a different thread, I'm interested in using a kindle primarily, or completely without Amazon's ecosystem. Someone suggested not registering the device, another suggested not turning on wifi.

If I want to build my own collection of DRM free ebooks, and transfer them to the kindle one way or another (I don't really care how...) can anyone recommend how I should setup the device and why?

I suggest registering to the account used to buy the Kindle. Using a throwaway account is not going to give all the advantages of proper registration. Once registered, if you do buy any eBooks form Amazon, you can download using your web browser and if you are setup to remove the DRM, it's the best way to do itfor Kindle eBooks.

Besides, if you don't register the Kindle and want to us it without Amazon, you might as well return it and go for the Kobo.

Managing eBooks is easier on the Kobo when using Calibre and finding books on the Kobo is easier too.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-05-2020 at 03:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
... I'm interested in using a kindle primarily, or completely without Amazon's ecosystem. Someone suggested not registering the device, another suggested not turning on wifi.

When I first got a Kindle I left it unregistered and uploaded my DRM-free books to Dropbox, then downloaded from Dropbox to my Kindle using the Experimental Browser (this was a while ago, so not sure if the Experimental Browser still works with Dropbox).

This worked perfectly well, and you can even use Calibre to fix the ASIN so that you get covers.

Then I discovered the joys of WhisperSync (syncs reading position, notes and bookmarks across all your devices). This requires registration, but is so wonderful that I got over my reluctance to register.

However, if WhisperSync and Collections aren't important to you, reasons to register become less compelling. There may be something about dictionaries. It's been a while, but I think you may get free dictionaries in multiple languages when you register. Wikipedia integration may also be dependent on registering, I can't remember.

I think the only reason to shy away from turning on WiFi is if you want to avoid firmware auto-updates or have privacy issues where Amazon is concerned.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But if you only have one Kindle and do not use a Kindle app, then WhisperSync is of no use. WhisperSync requires at least two Kindles, two Kindle apps or a Kindle and a Kindle app.

With just one Kindle, it's easier to use Calibre.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
A huge number of books on Kindle just consumes battery as Kindle will try to index the entire text.
I have thousands of books on all my Kindles, loaded in batches, all indexed. No problems whatsoever with battery life. The indexing took a few hours with each batch, with the Kindle plugged in. So no, a huge number of books is not a battery drain, once they're indexed. And indexing is pretty fast on the Oasis 3, if kept on a charger during the process.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have thousands of books on all my Kindles, loaded in batches, all indexed. No problems whatsoever with battery life. The indexing took a few hours with each batch, with the Kindle plugged in. So no, a huge number of books is not a battery drain, once they're indexed. And indexing is pretty fast on the Oasis 3, if kept on a charger during the process.
Well said.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I recommend registering - it unlocks a bunch of features as mentioned, plus gives you the ability to buy from amazon and download via whispersync. You can still sideload all the books you want (that works just fine - I do it all the time). If you want to check out books from the library, that likely required registration as well.

I have never seen the attraction of jailbreaking a kindle... it's such a limited device... though if you want your own screen savers, etc., I guess that's what you need to do.

If you don't like the special offers, just never use wifi (they time-out, then you get one of the plain backgrounds with a note to connect to wifi) or pay the $20 and be done with them (that's what I did). I normally have wifi off (device in airplane mode) unless I need to download something. I download and copy over the updates from amazon over USB which works just fine.

If you don't want what Amazon adds onto their devices, there are other devices out there (e.g., Kobo) that are definitely worth a look
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are not going to be buying from Amazon, then why get a Kindle? You'll be getting ePub and having to convert all the time. You'd be better off with a Kobo as you won't have to convert for every ePub you get.

A Kindle without Amazon is not worth the cost.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
By registering you give up some privacy but get some useful features in exchange for that. I like the ability to be able to pull out my phone any time I happen to be out without my Kindle and be able to read a few pages during what would otherwise be wasted time. Whispersync makes that practical.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are not going to be buying from Amazon, then why get a Kindle? You'll be getting ePub and having to convert all the time. You'd be better off with a Kobo as you won't have to convert for every ePub you get.

A Kindle without Amazon is not worth the cost.
I got a PW4 for ~$65 (iirc) with Mother's Day discount and Prime cashback. That's definitely worth the cost to me in comparison to the Clara HD at full $130 price (don't recall seeing sales at the time).

Also, unless you need to read a non-Amazon book with DRM, conversions may not even be needed. Most DRM free sources offer ebooks in a variety of formats including MOBI and AZW3.

Plus the PW4s were all jailbreakable at the time so win-win. Even if not, the stock Kindle software works better for me than stock Kobo. I read tons of fanfics with random titles and cryptic author names/pseudonyms so I really appreciate having library-wide, fuzzy full text search on my Kindles.

Between PW4 and Clara HD, I'd choose the PW4.

That said, I'm absolutely loving the huge, comfy bezel and page turn button on the Libra H2O. It's become my favorite reader. I'd definitely choose the Libra H2O over the non-jailbreakable Oasis 3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD123 View Post
If you don't like the special offers, just never use wifi (they time-out, then you get one of the plain backgrounds with a note to connect to wifi) or pay the $20 and be done with them (that's what I did). I normally have wifi off (device in airplane mode) unless I need to download something. I download and copy over the updates from amazon over USB which works just fine.
On saturday I went to a friend's to register a new to me used PW3. Low and behold, it has Special Offers! They don't 'time out' because it's been off wifi for over 24 hours, and the screensaver is still a picture of a woman with a telescope or of some books it thinks I might like.

Having just written that, I swiped the screen to unlock the kindle and found that aeroplane mode had been switched off; but it still can't contact a wifi network as the neighbours all have secured ones, and there aren't many. Odd.

I do intend to pay up and get special offers off the device.

I was going to recommend the OP register their kindle, now I'm not so certain.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
They don't 'time out' because it's been off wifi for over 24 hours, and the screensaver is still a picture of a woman with a telescope or of some books it thinks I might like.
It takes a few days for the ads to expire; it won't happen in 24 hours. I don't remember how long it takes, but once they are gone they don't come back until it connects to wifi again.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #15
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
indexing is pretty fast on the Oasis 3, if kept on a charger during the process.

The Oasis has a dual-core processor. Indexing is substantially slower on other models, glacially slow if not plugged into a wall outlet when indexing. And the indexing all starts anew if you add a handful more books.

All much worse is you have an excessive number of books on the Kindle, performance and battery life are both notably impared during the lengthy reindexing.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote