Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
lamont
Enthusiast
lamont began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Editing Book Titles

If I edit book titles in Calibre, once the file is on the Kindle, the original title shows. And If I open the file with the edited title again in Calibre, it opens showing the original title.

What I am trying to accomplish:

In a series of books, chronological order is usually important. I would like amend 01, 02, 03, 04 etc to the book titles.

Also, the titles in certain book series are often inconsistent, Frequently the title is missing an article. This results in books not being listed in proper alphabetical order.

Is it possible to edit a book title so it takes permanently, even if the file is moved to a Kindle, or will an edited book tile always default back to its original name?
lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Note, "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device" should have been updating the metadata of exported ebooks anyway upon save/send but these don't change the books stored in the Calibre directory structure.

You can update the metadata of ebooks stored in the Calibre directory using Polish Books (keyboard shortcut P, iirc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The plugin 'Embed Metadata' will also change the book file to your preferred metadata without adding extra files to your database and can be used on a greater number of format.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
lamont
Enthusiast

So is the problem I am experiencing normal or not?

You say "but these don't change the books stored in the Calibre directory structure."

What are "these"?

And what is "Polish Books"? Is it editing software? I can't find it on Google.

Last edited by lamont; 02-28-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
lamont
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
The plugin 'Embed Metadata' will also change the book file to your preferred metadata without adding extra files to your database and can be used on a greater number of format.
Is that plug-in for Calibre?
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont View Post
So is the problem I am experiencing normal or not?

You say "but these don't change the books stored in the Calibre directory structure."

What are "these"?

And what is "Polish Books"? Is it editing software? I can't find it on Google.
Well, when you use Save to Disk or Send to Device (Kindle), metadata on the exported ebooks should've been updated unless you specifically disabled that option. The "these" I'm referring to are the Save to Disk or Send to Device commands.

Polish Books is a native command/feature in Calibre (forgot what version it was introduced). The keyboard shortcut is "P", iirc. I don't think it shows up by default in the main toolbar and menus. I think I had to add the shortcut to my context/right-click menu. Caveat, I think it only works with epub and azw3 (I use epub).

Embed Metadata is a Calibre plugin.

Scratch that. I was thinking of Embed Comic Metadata. Embed Metadata is a native plugin, too, but there's no default keyboard shortcut and it's not visible by default on the main toolbar and context menu.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You might be running into the assigned ASIN pulling data from the big A instead of using yours.

I leave my K4 in Airplane mode.
But once the data has been downloaded, it is inside the devices DB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
lamont
Enthusiast

Alright, this stuff is way above my understanding.

I generally download my e-books as azw3 files from my Amazon content page to my computer. I then connect my Kindle with USB to the computer and drag the azw3 files into the document folder. This has worked in the past.

I have used the same method to sucessfully add some PDF files.

Now Amazon seems to interfere. They change my azw3 files on the Kindle to kfx. I don't like that. That's my first problem.

Furthermore, I would like to edit many of the book file titles, which I have done in Calibre by editing the metadata.

If I drag the folder that contains the azw3, the cover jpg and the edited metadata file into the document folder on the Kindle, it shows up in the Kindle Document folder, but once the Kindle is disconnected, the book is not listed.

Somewhere along the way I am now doing something wrong, but I can't find out what it is.

By the way, I do keep my Kindle in Airplane Mode, but when I use a USB connection to my computer it connects to Amazon anyway. I really don't want to have to unplug my ethernet each time I plug in my Kindle.

Last edited by lamont; 03-01-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
lamont
Enthusiast

I'll give an example: I have Kings's The Dark Tower series.

I want the book titles with the number of the book in the series amended:

The Gunslinger 01
The Drawing of the Three 02
The Waste Lands 03
etc

I add each book to Calibre, highlight it, right-click and edit the metadata (the title).

In the Calibre Library I get a folder that shows the azw3 file with the edited name. The folder also contains a metadata file.

1, What do I have to do to move my edited book file to the Kindle so that the edited name shows?

2. How do I get rid of the original file? Ot how do I replace the original file with my edited one? Keep in mind the file on my Kindle may be a kfx file, but my files are alwayts azw3. I notice that on the Kindle in the Document folder most (not all ) azw3 gook files also have a folder with a bunch of sidecar(?) files.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
In the Calibre Library I get a folder that shows the azw3 file with the edited name. The folder also contains a metadata file.

1, What do I have to do to move my edited book file to the Kindle so that the edited name shows?
Don't drag the file to the Kindle using the file explorer. Send it to your device directly from Calibre, using the Calibre GUI.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

First, did you remove DRM from the azw3 files? If they have DRM, then Calibre cannot edit the azw3 files.

If they're DRM-free already, you have a couple of options.

Save to Disk/Send to Device (can be found in the main toolbar or right-click menu) will update the metadata on the exported ebooks going to the Kindle but does not change the files inside the actual Calibre library.

Embed Metada/Polish Books (not in toolbar/right-click menu by default but you can add a shortcut by going to Preferences - Toolbars & menus) will update the metadata in the files inside the actual Calibre library.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #12
lamont
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Don't drag the file to the Kindle using the file explorer. Send it to your device directly from Calibre, using the Calibre GUI.
Can you please explain why dragging the file versus sending the file makes a difference? I have to understand why I am supposed to do things a certain way.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
lamont
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
First, did you remove DRM from the azw3 files? If they have DRM, then Calibre cannot edit the azw3 files.

If they're DRM-free already, you have a couple of options.

Save to Disk/Send to Device (can be found in the main toolbar or right-click menu) will update the metadata on the exported ebooks going to the Kindle but does not change the files inside the actual Calibre library.

Embed Metada/Polish Books (not in toolbar/right-click menu by default but you can add a shortcut by going to Preferences - Toolbars & menus) will update the metadata in the files inside the actual Calibre library.
Are you indicating the name of the azw3 file cannot be edited unless the DRM has been removed?

I used to have the DRM removal plug-in in Calibre on my Mac. I have since switched to PC and have not been able to get the DRM removal plug-in going. It's installed, the Kindle serial number has been added, but the plug-in is not working. That's in Windows 10.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Can you please explain why dragging the file versus sending the file makes a difference? I have to understand why I am supposed to do things a certain way.
changing the title in Calibre merely updates the database - it does not embed the change into the metadata of the ebook file stored in the Calibre library.. You therefore need to somehow get this change applied to the file for your device to recognise the change.

If you use the ‘send to device’ feature then Calibre dynamically applies the change to the file when it is sent. If you use the ‘Embed Metadata’ feature then the ebook file stored in the library is updated (after which drag-and-drop to your device should now give the expected results.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You ALSO need to use the metadata plugboard to insert the metadata into the title , not the file name (This works with device 'sends', as it needs to detect the device unless ALL is usable for your collection of devices)

PS I do not recommend mangling the intended usage of Calibre columns.

Series [series_index] has a purpose
Messing with the {Title} can prevent fetching metadata
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote