Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Johntyburger
Johntyburger began at the beginning.

Device: None
Is this possible?

Asking for my wife as I'm more technically minded.
Is it possible to run the Calibre library ON an iPad or ON a nas?
Basically she has recently got an iPad and wants to use that and get rid of her laptop. She will use the iPad for internet and email etc. She will still use her kindle fire to read books.
So basically she needs to run calibre without having a pc, is this going to work?
Many thanks
Johntyburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If she uses a Fire, does she get her books only from Amazon? Because if she does, there is no need for Calibre. Her books are stored for her on her Amazon account.

There is no full blown Calibre app for an iPad. There is a Calibre Companion app for iOS, but it works with Calibre on your computer, it doesn't replace it.

A Kindle reader who doesn't get digital books from sources other than Amazon doesn't really need Calibre imo.

I use Calibre because I get digital books from several sources, and Calibre lets me store them, format shift them, etc. I have the Calibre Companion on my iPad Pro, but haven't really used it yet.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267302 for one approach to installing Calibre on an Intel based NAS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
[snipped]

A Kindle reader who doesn't get digital books from sources other than Amazon doesn't really need Calibre imo.

[snipped]
That's certainly correct for ebooks.... however Calibre has recipes for many, many magazines and news sources, which can be very convenient to read on a Kindle, etc.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-02-2017 at 02:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
That's certainly correct for ebooks.... however Calibre has recipes for many, many magazines and news sources, which can be very convenient to read on a Kindle, etc.
I have to disagree. Even if all you do is buy eBooks from Amazon for your Kindle, Calibre is still very useful.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-02-2017 at 03:00 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree. Even if all you do is buy eBooks from Amazon for your Kindle, Calibre is still very useful.
Sure, I agree. But for low-tech users, it could be unnecessary. I was speaking with this in mind, for this poster.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-02-2017 at 02:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Sure, I agree. But for low-tech users, it could be unnecessary. I was speaking with this in mind, for this poster.
Even still, I'm going to disagree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote