Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
eBookwise 1150 Reviewed

I have posted a review of the eBookwise reader* along with a few photos.

At first I was kind of disappointed with the low res, half VGA screen, but that quickly changed when I started to read. My reading speed went way up because of the larger screen. I could sort of scan ahead. Also even though it is lower res, I find the 1150's serif font easier to read than the default sans-serif font on my PDA.

The camera makes the screen look green. It really does not look that way when viewing it with the naked eye.

*Note : a member has informed me that the link to the original review (hxxp://www. bowindex. com /et2/) now redirects to an installer for Antivirus 2009, which is actually a piece of malware masquerading as AntiVirus. So I have removed the link. I left the address in as a warning : do NOT visit this URL !!!

[moderator]
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I like the sound of this reader in general, and I have long thought that there need to be more dedicated ebook readers out there. That said, this unit sounds pretty limiting, in that you can't read .txt or other formats that you could get from Gutenburg or the like. It would also be nice if you could dump in web material with Sitescooper. But overall it sounds good, and it was clever to use these abandoned readers. They probably picked them up for a song.

What is your experience with battery life? Or have you had it long enough yet? Does it do bookmarks? Does it have any kind of hyperlink capability?

Thanks for a thorough review.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Brad
Zealot

Hi ignatz,

It will read other formats:

Quote:
* Rich Text Format (.rtf)
* Microsoft Word (.doc)
* Plain Text (.txt)
* Rocket eBook Editions (.rb)
In addition I just tried it with an HTML document from Gutentalk and that seems to display fine. I'm not sure if it will do hypertext links though - my text document did not have any.

I have also tested it with a Rocket eBook formated book (.rb) that I got at Blackmask. It displays beautifully.

The fact that it will display .txt, .rb, and .html opens up whole worlds of books and documents.

I have only had it about 72 hours - battery life seems long but I'm not sure how long. I thing there is a way to bookmark and also make margin notes but I have not really tried that.

Something else I like, once your internet based bookshelves are stocked with either books you buy at eBookwise or your own content on your personal shelves the 1150 can download it directly without a computer through it's built in modem. It automatically dials in through a tollfree number. A nice feature if you are stuck at Grandma's house over the holidays and need another book.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
The modem feature is fantastic! I could see that being very useful. Also with text, doc, rtf, and html, that thing sounds ready for prime time. I'm impressed. I definitely prefer a PDA for size, because I wind up doing a lot of reading a page or two at a time, whenver I can steal a moment. But this is the first ebook reader that has tempted me...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
eBookwise has a help page that explains how to upload your personal content on the reader device.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanx Brad! that was a good review. I'm thinking on buying an ebookwise 1150 but I'm not sure about the screen quality. Could someone post higher quality pictures of the screen? I'd like to know how much brightness and contrast you can get with the 1150. Also it'd be great if you post some photos of the screen showing pictures.
I'm afraid half VGA may not be "nice" enough to read special ebooks.
Thank you!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
Brad
Zealot

>>brightness

Brightness is tricky as the camera flash tends to obscure such things.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I know Brad, it's hard to capture some things. I noticed that sometimes taking pictures without a flash is better.
Anyway, there are not many pictures of the 1150 while it's ON. It'd be good if you could post some more pictures, larger and clearer. Like the one in ebookwise site (but with the display on)

In case you don't know it yet. There's a site where you can host some pictures for free. You can try it and upload some photos for us! Try the ImageShack

So far, I only found your review on the internet! thanks again!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #9
larryliao
larryliao began at the beginning.

Device: TT3
Hyperlink

Only pitiful thing for EB1150 is no hyperlink.

Thus, I can't converse html novel from internet to eBookWise 1150.

Except that I have left my Palm T3 to read use only eb1150.

larryliao
larryliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Ret
Connoisseur

Does anyone know where to get the 1150 in Argentina. Or where to buy it in the states that they can export it?
I wonder why there are restrictions for exporting this thing
Old 12-31-2004, 03:41 AM   #11
larryliao
larryliao began at the beginning.

Device: TT3
Don't know. But I am in Taiwan and got Eb1150 from my sister in the States.
Now I could read tons of ebooks from eBookWise and Listen audible files from Rio,and other MP3 players. What use could be for my Palm T3? ( Being not a big potato I don't need calendar, outlook, tasks... )
larryliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Angry Front Screen Cover cracked badly

My ebookwise reader got pushed off a nightstand in the dark. Unfortunately it fell and impacted so that I got a star pattern in the bottom edge of the screen. The cracks have spread widely and the touch screen feature now works erratically or not at all. Can the cracked cover be replaced or is it intergral to the reader? Ie do I need a new reader or can it be fixed? Thanks in advance for any sharing of information and or links.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ugh. I don't know if you can replace the screen or not (some services are out there for pdas, so maybe it is possible).

There are a few on eBay for $115 plus $9 shipping, and you can buy it from the main ebookwise site new along with a 64meg storage card for $124.95 (plus $9.95 Shipping and Handling. USA and Canada shipping only.) But that doesn't even match your original deal, so I hope you can find a way to get it fixed cheaper.

I'd suggest an upgrade by splurging on something like the Sony Reader, but you wouldn't be able to read all your existing content on it.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryliao
Only pitiful thing for EB1150 is no hyperlink.

Thus, I can't converse html novel from internet to eBookWise 1150.
Can anyone else confirm this for me? I have seen several sites claiming the 1150 has hyperlink capabilities, but they all seem to be quoting some single source of promotional material...

Thanks,
Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Hyperlinks

The eBookwise reader has no problems with hyperlinks. Here's a sample picture of a file I just made with some links, and an archive of the IMP file itself and an IMP viewer for Windows. (The viewer can't be used directly. You have to select the IMP file, then choose 'Open With' and browse to the viewer.) The short story is made with the largest font, which I favor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imp_links.gif
Views:	1278
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2240  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Greatest Poem.zip (42.2 KB, 663 views)

Last edited by Jadon; 11-21-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote