Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Device: none
Formatting fonts in Sigil

I seem to be only able to use the Sigil default font--a non-serif that looks like Arial. The Book Browser shows a Font folder, but I have yet to figure out how to add a usable font to it. Because Windows Vista will not let me access the Fonts Folder (even though everyone who uses this computer has permissions), I downloaded some new fonts that I did not add to the System Fonts folder. Adding them to the Book Browser fonts folder has done nothing. Nothing in the Sigil menu changes when fonts are added to the folder, so HOW do you tell Sigil to reformat any text into the selected font family in the folder????

Is it necessary then, to only upload documents to Sigil that have fonts embedded in them? I've tried that, but Sigil always changes them to unformatted text . . . That includes uploading from Word and from InDesign.

With Sigil, are we limited to their default formatting options? No possibility to provide headings and chapter titles in an alternate font size and style?
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can use different fonts in Sigil. The fonts folder in Sigil has nothing to do with the fonts folder of Vista. It is a folder within the ePUB.

In short, the procedure is as follows:
1. Upload the font you need in Sigil. It will appear in the fonts folder in Sigil.
2. Create in your stylesheet the definitions of the font via the @font-face class
3. Define in your stylesheet that the font is used for example in headers

Step 1 is simple. The other steps are defined at various steps here already if you search. A nice description is at the site of Liz Castro.

You can do almost everything within Sigil with regards to fonts and styles via stylesheets. However, you must use Code View and do it yourself via CSS and XHTML. Bookview is very limited in functionality and will not allow you to change fonts and alike.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Thanks for your speedy response. I think my learning curve is still pretty steep as I'm not really very good with CSS so I'll have to figure out how to do the style sheet. I think I did manage to upload a font to Sigil, but then I didn't know what to do with it. Thanks for the link to Liz Castro. That will help.
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Its the same with an image. Appending an image to the ePub with Sigil does not show the image at all - whereas it is still in the ePub. You have to use it somewhere in your (x)html files to be shown up. Same with fonts - adding them does not change anything at all. You have to use them in your CSS. Basic knowledge in XHTML and CSS is necessary for creating books with Sigil.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Embedded fonts are usually introduced in CSS stylesheets by a @font-face declaration.

I would like to stress a point that may confuse some beginner. Sigil ask you to be consistent: be careful to write the font family names on other parts of your stylesheet exactly in the same way as in your font-face declaration. This concerns single quotes.

Single quotes are not compulsory for fonts with a one word name like Arial; or even LibertineOCRegular. You can either use then or not. It's optional.

Times New Roman, on the other hand is a font name which includes two whitespaces and which must be written between quotes. It's compulsory.

But, if you use single quotes in one place for a font name, use single quotes everywhere. Sigil cares for consistency. You can't really complain about it but you must be aware of it.

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=1358

Here above, you'll find an attached EPUB file which has no validation problem either with Epubcheck or FlightCrew. ADE displays the true small capitals, Sigil does not, precisely because of this single quotes discrepancy.

You also can check how it displays on ADE as there, sometimes, can be, for me, unexplained differences.
Have a look at this book for example: http://efele.net/ebooks/livres/000163/index.html
L'homme au masque d'or and download the epub version (not the epub-) and compare Sigil and ADE displays. I would be keen to have some comments on this.

This is an advice.

Last edited by roger64; 04-19-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: A lenghtened commentary
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
KatyPerryFan4Eva
KatyPerryFan4Eva began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can use different fonts in Sigil. The fonts folder in Sigil has nothing to do with the fonts folder of Vista. It is a folder within the ePUB.

In short, the procedure is as follows:
1. Upload the font you need in Sigil. It will appear in the fonts folder in Sigil.
2. Create in your stylesheet the definitions of the font via the @font-face class
3. Define in your stylesheet that the font is used for example in headers

Step 1 is simple. The other steps are defined at various steps here already if you search. A nice description is at the site of Liz Castro.

You can do almost everything within Sigil with regards to fonts and styles via stylesheets. However, you must use Code View and do it yourself via CSS and XHTML. Bookview is very limited in functionality and will not allow you to change fonts and alike.
And how exactly would I do the code in the CSS stylesheet for a font I want in speech for example? Sorry, it's just that I'm only just learning.
KatyPerryFan4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm sorry, but it seems you need to master some basic HTML/CSS first before tackling this sort of thing. Sigil can't really help you in this regard until you understand those underlying concepts first.

Also, please consider starting new threads for your questions. I can appreciate that you're trying to use the search function to find relevant threads, but unless those threads are fairly recent, just start a new one. Threads like this one were made when Sigil was an entirely different program. There's also no guarantee that the people you're quoting/asking are even around to answer any more. So if the thread is more than a few months old, please consider starting a new one for your question. And please take the advice of others to become familliar with some basic HTML/CSS before tackling some of these more advanced subjects.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-19-2016 at 10:22 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There is a lot of good learning to be had at the W3Schools. Here is one of the pages that covers Font Face. http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3...-face_rule.asp

I would highly recommend walking through a couple of their tutorials in order to get an idea of what's going on. After you do that, this might make more sense:

in css:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: Bodebeck;
    src: url("../Fonts/Bodebeck.ttf");
	font-style: normal
}
@font-face {
    font-family: "Sloops Two";
    src: url("../Fonts/Sloops.ttf");
	font-style: normal
}

h2 {font-family:Bodebeck, serif}
p.first {font-family:"Sloops Two", sans-serif}
and in html:
Code:
<h2>Chapter 3</h2>
<p class="first">There once was a man from Nantucket.</p>
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
For basic HTML, CSS and ePub concepts, you may find my Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial useful (see my signature).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookbrowser, fonts, formatting, sigil