Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia Helikon View Post
I have used search and replace to find a number followed by a paragraph break-- when the chapter doesn't have the word "Chapter" You could also search for the word "one" followed by paragraph break, and then continue to find twenty-one, thirty-one, etc.

then apply the heading style of your choice
Some don't even use the text of the numbers. So that's not a way to do it that will work for all eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some don't even use the text of the numbers. So that's not a way to do it that will work for all eBooks.
Of course there's not one single way that will work for all ebooks. No one tried to claim there was. The point is... those with sufficient regex skills and pattern-matching abilities are almost always going to be able to tailor an expression that will be able to isolate (and mark/change/fix) the chapter headers for the current ebook being worked on. Without ever needing Book View or a two-step process.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Wolfie:

Don't be daft. There's nothing, anywhere--not CSS, not regex, not anything--that will work for "all" books. That's why we don't have magic Rube Goldberg machines turning out eBooks, and we have to have people involved. If there were a magic way to make 'all' ebooks, trust me, I'd be using it. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wolfie:

Don't be daft. There's nothing, anywhere--not CSS, not regex, not anything--that will work for "all" books. That's why we don't have magic Rube Goldberg machines turning out eBooks, and we have to have people involved. If there were a magic way to make 'all' ebooks, trust me, I'd be using it. ;-)

Hitch
The BPHs seem to have a Rube Goldberg for making eBooks. Unfortunately their template doesn't work for all eBooks hence why I go and fix them.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The BPHs seem to have a Rube Goldberg for making eBooks. Unfortunately their template doesn't work for all eBooks hence why I go and fix them.
Wolfie:

Sorry--I'm clearly not cool enough to know what a "BPH" is. Que?

Bad Puppet Handler? Buggering Prophets of Ho-pocalypse? Bumpy Puppy Hoppers?

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #66
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Book Phrom Hell ?
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #67
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I cant remember the exact meaning but it's a pointed headed bean-counter...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hence why I go and fix them.
You forgot "and strenuously suggest that everyone fix them to my exacting standards, using my methods. No exceptions."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-07-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wolfie:

Sorry--I'm clearly not cool enough to know what a "BPH" is. Que?

Bad Puppet Handler? Buggering Prophets of Ho-pocalypse? Bumpy Puppy Hoppers?

Hitch
BPH = Big Publishing House
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #70
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
BPH = Big Publishing House
Wolfie:

That's because--and no, gang, I'm not making this up, and I'm not being..whatever I'll be accused of being, bigoted, racist, whatever--they send the books to India. Now, there is nothing wrong with the folks in India, except, in order to do the books very cheaply, they use labor that doesn't really have a solid grasp of the English language. So they don't notice broken paragraphs, etc. And, in some of the firms, their comprehension of the needed technical skills is learned by rote--not actually learned, if that makes any sense.

How do I know this? For I have used several different firms in India at different times for overflow. I had one firm, with a US rep, tell me, indignantly, that their work was "...good enough for Createspace and Nook and Random House." Yes...but it wasn't good enough for me. Why? Because unlike those entities, my client is the book's creator. They are, to put it bluntly, "only" the publisher, and their proofreaders don't go over every sentence with a fine-toothed comb to see if, god forbid, a comma is out of place.

Now, this isn't to claim that the manuscripts we get in are in remotely good shape, either--but that's exactly WHY you need skilled people working in either their Native language OR a real grasp of the language in which they are working. Not having the language skills--and NOT getting called on crappy work (e.g., not spotting broken paragraphs from a s****y PDF->Word conversion)--means that their quality doesn't improve.

It is also abalooley true--and I'm damned if I know why this is--but for some reason, errors leap out more abruptly, or rudely, or whatever, in eBooks. Maybe the people who buy e-readers and ebooks are a more particular class of reader; maybe they're not; but when I've had books come back in for "redos," for error corrections (provided to the author/publisher by the ever-helpful reading community), and I check, on backlist print books, the same grammer, typo, etc., errors will be in the book that sat fat and happy in print for 20 years, without the plethora of "reader-captured errors." There's also a certain DEMAND to the reading crowd now--a sense of instancy, of immediacy, in that they expect that the errors that they find have to be corrected right this second; whereas in the days of yore, if something needed to be fixed, they waited until the 2nd printing, or what-have-you. There seems to be a blithe disregard of the author/publisher's costs to reissue an ebook every 30 days to fix "reader complaints" about typos.

Personally, I tell my clients to save 'em up for 6 months. I think correcting them like a bipolar on a manic streak every 30-45 days is insanity.

And, dem's the <break>
reasons, folks.

Hitch
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is also abalooley true--and I'm damned if I know why this is--but for some reason, errors leap out more abruptly, or rudely, or whatever, in eBooks. Maybe the people who buy e-readers and ebooks are a more particular class of reader; maybe they're not; but when I've had books come back in for "redos," for error corrections (provided to the author/publisher by the ever-helpful reading community), and I check, on backlist print books, the same grammer, typo, etc., errors will be in the book that sat fat and happy in print for 20 years, without the plethora of "reader-captured errors."
I've noticed this as well. It's a bit crazy, really.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-09-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

It is also abalooley true--and I'm damned if I know why this is--but for some reason, errors leap out more abruptly, or rudely, or whatever, in eBooks.

Hitch
I have noticed this
It might be because we get to set a most comfortable view of the page. No huge margins (partly because my pages don't need room to be bound and still readable) or other whitespace like HB books have.

And as to fixing errors NOW, I know I can do it... only if I get off my duff and type a few strokes on the keyboard. If I procrastinate, it won't get done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the reason for the feedback from people reading eBooks is that they know it's not that difficult to fix the errors and once fixed, all they have to do is download a new copy and they have an edition without the errors they've reported. A pBook requires a new printing to get the errors fixed so they just let them be as getting a free pBook is not going to happen unless the errors (like a missing page) are serious enough.

When I am reading, I highlight any errors I find and when I am done, I do go back and fix them. Sometimes, I do have to do some fixing before finishing as the errors are the same sort of errors throughout and need to be fixed so I can comfortably read. I dislike thinks like em dashes having spaces around them.

Good enough is not always good enough. These publishers need to find a new source for making eBooks that isn't just good enough (not good enough). They need to find a place that takes pride in their work. With new books, there are errors inserted into the eBook edition that are NOT in the print edition. What bothers me is the BPHs charging almost as much, the same, or in some cases, more for an eBook with more errors then the print version.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would agree with JSWolf. On a printed book there is no belief that anything will be fixed. And even if it is it might be years later and of no benefit to the person reporting the error. Today there is some hope that the errors will be corrected and perhaps you can re-download a corrected version.

I think this move should improve the quality of books. Hopefully if the eBook is corrected the publisher will go fix the paper book but perhaps that is asking too much.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #75
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've reported some mistakes I found in (paid) ebooks, some of which are also present in the printed books (according to Google Books). I asked the publisher where should I mail the report, they told me something like "here is fine", but they never replied after that, and I sent reports about a few other books... Neither did I see any hint that the problems were fixed, and this was a couple of years ago.

At least, I did my part of the job. When (if) I finish reading the series, I may publish the list of corrections elsewhere, so others can fix their copies.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote