Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesteacher View Post
voltage converter
I use a voltage converter to run all of my 110 appliances as Korea uses 220.

On the Fictionwise@yahoogroups.com newsgroup, Dale and Robert posted about a small converter that can be plugged into 110 or 220:
"You can get one from www.millionbuy. com for $4.95 Do a search for Coby CA-44 I bought one as a backup from them, works great."
You may want to find someone in the US who can receive and then forward it to you because the shipping cost is quite high otherwise. That is what I will be doing so I can take it with me while travelling.

Pat
Thanks for this Pat. I have been running around looking for the right thing to use for the last 2 days. The Colby CA-44 definitely looks like what i need.

Unfortunately millionbuy don't accept foreign credit cards except for AMEX an their shipping was very high so I am trying to find someone else who can sell me one. no luck on ebay either.

My local electronics store was no help - they had one for like $60 but it was the wrong frequency - 50HZ instead of 60HZ. He told me an ac adapter would be cheaper if I could find the right one but they didn't have any so my hunt continues.

I got my actual ebookwise from ebay - there is a seller who is happy to ship outside the US and she will be shipping my order today (US time). She said it would take about 5 days to arrive.

So far I haven't found anyone who can ship me a power adapter in the same or a shorter time frame.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The frequency doesn't matter much. None of the adapters translate the frequency but since the power to the device is really DC anyway there should not be a problem. 50 Hz generates a bit more heat that 60 Hz devices so if the power adapter was only rated for 60 Hz it could overheat on 50 Hz power but the reverse is no problem.

$60 should be a pretty advanced power adapter for that price. You really just need to meet the specs with an adapter with the correct connector. The connector can be trough part. Check Radio Shack if have one.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #18
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
$60 should be a pretty advanced power adapter for that price.
You'd think so wouldn't you?? It wasn't though - it was just a transformer. The guy in the shop did say to me that I would find it cheaper just to find the right ac adapter but I didn't understand him until now - boy am I learning more than I ever wanted to know about power supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You really just need to meet the specs with an adapter with the correct connector. The connector can be trough part.
I have ordered an ac adapter from Hong Kong via ebay that produces the right output and comes with 6 different plugs which I am told should cover about 90% of devices. I am figuring if the colby one works then the ebookwise probably has a fairly standard one covered by one of the 6.

A risky move but I am just too impatient to be able to bear getting the device and not being able to plug it in immediately

If I am wrong then I can apparently get someone (I don't know who) to swap the plugs for me. Or just try to resell that adapter on ebay and then try to get the colby one or something...

Having the adapter means you don't need to use the one that comes with the unit at all and, to my way of thinking, it reduces the risk of accidentally plugging the 110v straight into the wall without the transformer and blowing the whole thing up
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #19
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
If you live in the UK any Maplin's store will have them:

You only need a low wattage one because the eBookwise is about 18 watts.

This one is suitable:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...pter&doy=12m12
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #20
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast
woldinghamuk doesn't litterwoldinghamuk doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150 + sony reader 500
The ebay ebook guy / girl went here: http://electronics.search.ebay.com/_...assZkascarlett
woldinghamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldinghamuk View Post
The ebay ebook guy / girl went here: http://electronics.search.ebay.com/_...assZkascarlett

I already found her and ordered last weekend. It was going to be posted Monday a week ago but still hasn't arrived yet...

I am giving the postal service a bit of slack given its Christmas but am eagerly checking my post office daily - havent been down there this morning. hopefully today is the day...
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
mrsp
Connoisseur

yup today IS the day...

it's here

and so far my Hong Kong AC adapter seems to be working too.

Now just have to get the USB driver downloaded and installed....
Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #23
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
it's here

and so far my Hong Kong AC adapter seems to be working too.

Now just have to get the USB driver downloaded and installed....
Good for you - I bought mine yesterday and it is in the post now..
Old 12-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #24
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Hey mrsp,
How are you liking the 1150 now that you've had it for a couple of weeks? Read anything good?
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Thanks for this Pat. I have been running around looking for the right thing to use for the last 2 days. The Colby CA-44 definitely looks like what i need.
so does it mean that when I have the coby ca-44 adapter (http://www.millionbuy.com/cbycav1.html), I can just plug it in my ebookwise and I do not need to use the original charger they supply?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #26
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton View Post
Hey mrsp,
How are you liking the 1150 now that you've had it for a couple of weeks? Read anything good?
Hi Gatton

I'm really loving it. I took it with me to the farm over Christmas and even though I was reading more than I normally would, it lasted a full week before it needed charging. I'm finding that I don't really get eye strain from it and I love the shape and the way the buttons work. The only negative is that its quite weighty. I really hope these guys bring out a new device as I am really impressed with the quality of the device. I until then, I am enjoying reading ebooks again for the first time in a long time and much more than I did on my palm.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldinghamuk View Post
so does it mean that when I have the coby ca-44 adapter (http://www.millionbuy.com/cbycav1.html), I can just plug it in my ebookwise and I do not need to use the original charger they supply?
That is correct. However, I have found the original puts out slightly more than 12V even though that is the spec and tends to charge the device a little faster.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote