Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could get a router that allows you to turn off WiFi so you can turn it on when you want.
All wifi routers allow this.

We have wifi disabled on the main router because it's got pretty poor placement. We just have a separate wifi access point (connected via cat6 cable to the router) in a more central location for our wifi-only devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #47
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Unless I need to 'restart' the router/modem, I leave it alone. The powerline system I use to avoid wifi can be sensitive to becoming 'disconnected' from the internet, which entails lots of fiddling to get it working again.

I hate wifi just like I dislike mobile phones, which I use only for sending the odd text message. Friends know that my mobile is usually switched off, so contact me by landline if necessary.

I'm just very sensitive to radio waves.

Maybe I should wear an aluminium hat!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:44 AM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I hate wifi just like I dislike mobile phones, which I use only for sending the odd text message. Friends know that my mobile is usually switched off, so contact me by landline if necessary.
Curious, is the mobile a smartphone? If so, you could probably use that as a temporary wifi hotspot and then just turn off again once done with downloads.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The ethernet over domestic power uses radiowaves, not power. It only passes CE & FCC because they don't use data on it, some testers only plug in one unit. The lighting circuits especially radiate. It's been proved by communication engineers, even powering one unit on an isolated generator or UPS 10m (30ft) away. The faster ones interfere with FM Radio, all interfere with Shortwave reception and some interfere with Airband. They've even disrupted DSL when phone wiring has picked up the signal. Most don't transmit if there is no data.

In Double Blind tests there was no ability at all to sense WiFi. Note that Microwave ovens, 3G and DECT use similar frequencies and signals to WiFi. Also the power level at a phone handset transmitting in your hand is hundreds of times to 1000s of times more than a WiFi point or WiFi in a gadget on your desk.

On phone masts: Ironically there is LEAST power absolutely under it, than further down the road due to the direction aerials to avoid wasting power into the ground and sky.

>|<
Mast and beams

Electro-sensitivity to RF or 60Hz or 50Hz mains wiring simply doesn't exist.
If you stare into a really high power source, such as Radar, you STILL feel nothing, though prolonged exposure may give burns and probably cataracts. Radar is about 10KW pulses and about 800W average. A microwave oven uses the same transmitting device, though usually now Radar uses higher frequencies. That's why a microwave oven is a Faraday cage (metal grill etc on door), two door switches and it cooks things. The enclosure (Faraday cage) ensures less RF than a WiFi point next door leaks out.

Lucille Ball claimed she picked up radio stations on her fillings. It was a joke! It's never ever been duplicated. You will feel a tingle from battery cell electricity if you have amalgam or other metal fillings if you put a different bare metal in your mouth, almost all battery cells use two dissimilar conductive materials, (one usually pure metal) and an electrolyte that's acid or alkali.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-04-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #50
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I was never much good at maths, but this seems odd. There are 52 weeks in a year, so 3 years would be 156 weeks? Therefore if a kindle battery lasts for 1,000 charges you must be charging it many times a week. I'll leave it to someone else to do the specific maths, it just hit me that yours was a bit off.
fair cop- i am used to charging things daily ( overnight) but e-ink devices don't need that. so my quick estimate is rubbish.

i still reckon many of the older devices are lying around, neglected, with totally drained batteries, that may need some TLC to revive though
an avid reader who still uses a 5+ years old kindle seems a strange combination
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #51
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
fair cop- i am used to charging things daily ( overnight) but e-ink devices don't need that. so my quick estimate is rubbish.

i still reckon many of the older devices are lying around, neglected, with totally drained batteries, that may need some TLC to revive though
Why would that be a strange combination? I still use my more than 5 year old Voyage every day, and Jon stated that he is still using his original H2O. I also have readers older than that which are used occasionally. As to the question of whether or not an "avid reader" would still be using an older reader, I read 125 books last year, according to Goodreads. Would that be considered an "avid reader"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #52
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Why would that be a strange combination? I still use my more than 5 year old Voyage every day, and Jon stated that he is still using his original H2O. I also have readers older than that which are used occasionally. As to the question of whether or not an "avid reader" would still be using an older reader, I read 125 books last year, according to Goodreads. Would that be considered an "avid reader"?

Shari
maybe 5 years is not the best cut off- I upgraded once it became practical to read on a 300+ ppi device, but maybe others are not that fussed.

I know Jon still speaks fondly of sony e-readers but if I still had mine I'd probably be horrified at the screen resolution, when compared to a current Kindle or Kobo.

also, compared to upgrading a smart phone ( & who has 5 year old smart phones) upgrading an e-ink reader is relatively cheap

how old is KFX now ? or to rephrase, how many years back do we have to look to find non kfx-capable readers ( as this sub-discussion comes from whether amazon could afford to enforce kfx and drop older formats )
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #53
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
how old is KFX now ? or to rephrase, how many years back do we have to look to find non kfx-capable readers ( as this sub-discussion comes from whether amazon could afford to enforce kfx and drop older formats )
The oldest device that supports KFX is the PaperWhite 2 (sixth generation), released in September 2013.

I doubt that Amazon is going to drop support for older formats. They have done a good job of supporting even the oldest Kindle devices so far.

To me the most likely thing they would do, if they change anything, is allow publishers the option of making their newly published books available in KFX format only. That puts the responsibility on the publisher to make the tradeoff between having more secure DRM and supporting the dwindling set of customers using older devices. As an example, expensive textbooks published recently by Pearson are KFX-only, and available only on apps and devices that have secure DRM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are the Pearson textbooks even real ebooks, or using the PDF like version of KFX, like do they all or many even work on 6" eink at all, or just Fire and some versions of the apps?

In my experience decent mathematics and science texts are not really ebook compatible. Most text books are on iPad, later Android or Fire and 10" or better is needed.

What Amazon should do is STOP calling all electronic books they sell "Kindles"!
"Kindle" should be be reserved for real totally reflowable ebooks that work on any 4.5" phone via a kindle App and on 6" eink. Essentially they there are two main eink formats that already cover ALL Amazon eink ereaders.
At least they mostly removed "Kindle" from the Fire Tablet branding, though that was more so people wouldn't think it's an ereader, it's a general purpose Android Tablet, sort of crippled by default to use only the Amazon store and USB (Sideloaded) content with a Kindle App that has more "features" than a real Kindle.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #55
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Are the Pearson textbooks even real ebooks, or using the PDF like version of KFX, like do they all or many even work on 6" eink at all, or just Fire and some versions of the apps?

What Amazon should do is STOP calling all electronic books they sell "Kindles"!
this feels very deja vu.
I agree, but have you made that point already , or was it in different thread(s)

in other news I saw that print replica magazines are being abandoned ( I forget by who, exactly)

that format wins my most stupid e-format of the decade vote so glad to see its going away
Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Google news abandoning print-replica
a) Google/Alphabet abandons stuff often, it has to raise revenue from ads.
b) Big 6" + phones, tablets etc and websites mean that many magazines no longer exist or only sell on paper to people not using the Internet for that.

I probably did make the point about Amazon and Kindle devaluation as a meaningful description in several threads. Unfortunately Marketing ejits, accountants and lawyers run all these big companies and they interact arrogantly with customers. Surveys are often designed to confirm the bias of a politically important person in the organisation.
See also Win10 vs Win7 / XP, or WinME vs Win98, or Apple Mac Pro workstations or connections & notch/curve on phone. Android TV as a GUI, stupid apart from the usage theft.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #57
stumped
Wizard

Android tv on the right hardware is fine. It is allegedly crap on underpowered Sony TV's but on an Nvidia shield TV streamer it's impressive. And the design that Plex are standardising on for all Client's is very android tv ish. You could say it's a lazy name but it's a TV running Android! What else are you going to call it?

Amazon do seem to have kept the kindle name out of their actual TVs, as well as their streamers and tablets and smart speakers
Maybe they like the idea of kindle becoming a generic noun for ebook, like biro or hoover, but I suspect that if you surveyed lots of people asking what is a Kindle, most would say it's a reading device, s not an e book
Old 01-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #58
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I do most of my reading on my 5+ year old Voyage because no kindle released since provides me with as good a reading experience. What is strange about that?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #59
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Nothing whatsoever. It's like a claim that an avid driver with a 5+ year old car was inconceivable.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #60
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Nothing whatsoever. It's like a claim that an avid driver with a 5+ year old car was inconceivable.
Exactly.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, download via usb, drm, sideload