Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Timothy468
Not-so-Junior New Member
Timothy468 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion is hanging up

Hello folks,

I am new here and new to the use of Calibre. I am just computer savvy enough to get myself in trouble now and then.

My wife downloaded a EPUB document (an 89 page study guide) that she would really prefer to read as a hard copy. I have tried to help her.

In Calibre, using the Reader, I could not convert it to a PDF (using the right click) print command.

I then tried to convert it to a DOCX file in the editor. It hung up at 47% (and when I let it run for 8 hours, at 67%)

I then downloaded the DeDRM plugin, removed and re-accessed the file, and it again hung up at 67%.

I added a second set of plugins, repeated the previous steps, no difference.

I also ran the "Beautify" and "Remove unused CSS" subroutines.

I repeated this all on my better computer, no better, but got to 67% done a lot faster... but no conversion past 67% after 12 hours overnight.

Did a Safe reBoot but it still did not work.

Here is what happens: I click on Edit Book, then the LadyBug (Check book) button. The program is (if I click on it anywhere) unresponsive and the cursor spins, and then the entire Edit Book window disappears (takes about 20 seconds on my desktop system, and about 45 seconds on my laptop). There is no log or error report for me to go over.

I have reviewed the recommendations for how to ask for help. But I am unable to show a "extract/sample that shows the problem, or use the calibre bug report system to create a private bug with the file attached."

I can show the reports for the "never-finished" reports, and I am uncertain how to insert in this message without hopelessly cluttering it, so the last bit (to show where it stopped) is appended.

I never got an error message when attempting to convert the file.

I did not change any conversion options from the default.

Here is the end of the log...

Parsing OEBPS/Creating_a_review_program_that’s_right_for_you-1.xhtml ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Parsed HTML written to: C:\Users\User\Calibre Library\parsed
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Structured HTML written to: C:\Users\User\Calibre Library\structure
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...

And that is where is stops.

I can copy/paste this document page by page into Word, fix the fonts and print it, but now I am curious what I am missing!

I am hopeful that some wiser person than I can quickly point me the right way!

Tim
Timothy468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is done, when it is done or it crashes.
Really complex (layout, not size) can run 24 hours or more

Bibles and dictionaries almost seem to run forever. (these usually trip Out of Memory, even on 64 bit systems)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy468 View Post
I never got an error message when attempting to convert the file.

I did not change any conversion options from the default.

Here is the end of the log...

Parsing OEBPS/Creating_a_review_program_that’s_right_for_you-1.xhtml ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Parsed HTML written to: C:\Users\User\Calibre Library\parsed
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Structured HTML written to: C:\Users\User\Calibre Library\structure
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...

And that is where is stops.
It didn't stop. It was still processing when you killed it. It will either finish or die with an error, minus either of those 2 it is still processing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #4
Timothy468
Not-so-Junior New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It didn't stop. It was still processing when you killed it. It will either finish or die with an error, minus either of those 2 it is still processing.
I ran the "Print PDF" from the reader, and it failed. At the end it simply told me it had failed. The details ended with:

u'page_styles.css' from manifest
Creating PDF Output...
67% Running PDF Output plugin
Converting input as a text based book...
The cover image has an id != "cover". Renaming to work around bug in Nook Color
68% Parsed all content for markup transformation
70% Completed markup transformation

And that was it...

I will let it run for days. It is not the bible though, and is actually only 89 pages long. Perplexed!

TM
Old 01-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Timothy468
Not-so-Junior New Member

Final update in case any other user is struggling with the same thing. An attempt to convert the document to DOCX format failed after two days plus (stalled at 67%). The above mentioned "Print PDF" command (done by right clicking within the reader window) failed as described.

A conversion to RTF format was done in 8 minutes.

The conversion failed to figure out some text boxes in the document that were scattered throughout (to highlight points) - we are still figuring out if they simply blend in to the adjacent text or have hard page returns. But for the purposes of being able to print a hard copy to mark up (it is a study guide), the mission was accomplished.

Perhaps I am not patient enough, but a several day stall-out seems like a failure to me. Now that we have a hard copy I can simply let it run on the more powerful desktop and see if it ever converts it.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Timothy468 - I suggest you create a bug report here ==>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre

Include a link to this thread, attach the EPUB study guide, and mark the bug report Private.

That will give Kovid a chance to fix the problem.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Timothy468
Not-so-Junior New Member

I have posted to the Bug Report page. My work around at home is good enough for now, but it would be nice if it could convert with even the Text Boxes in the right places.

Tim