Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
Is it possible to hyperlink to local file?

So let's say I have some html document changed to txt so that my kindle(PW) can open it.
I was wondering whether it's possible to make some hyperlink in that file so that instead of going to some web-page, it will go to the local file named as I've pointed to?
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Try it by yourself, the full path is, for example:
file:///mnt/us/documents/myfile.txt
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
font332
Connoisseur

Re: Is it possible to hyperlink to local file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Try it by yourself, the full path is, for example:
file:///mnt/us/documents/myfile.txt
You mean <a href="file:///mnt/us/documents/myfile.txt">link</a> ?

It doesn't work It makes only text link, without underline and option to click.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
It works the way you want in koreader. In the Kindle UI you don't get a hyperlink i.e. clickable link since the html page was renamed to .txt and Kindle is now treating it as a text document.

A workaround for this might be to leave the document name unchanged i.e. put the somedocument.html file into the Kindle documents directory. Then open the experimental browser and enter the url in the address bar

file:///mnt/us/documents/somedocument.html

And it will then display in the browser with a clickable link to the referenced local file. Note that the Kindle library won't include .html documents. The referenced file can be .txt, but the page with the link(s) needs to be .html if you want a clickable link to display in the Kindle UI.

A much better experience in koreader which will show the document in the library and parse hyperlinks for .txt or .html documents. But the workaround may serve your needs.

Last edited by Junket; 12-23-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: belated spell check
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The original HTML file can be converted to a kindle format ebook with either kindlegen or calibre.

It is my understanding that HTML files can be emailed to kindles via amazon, who will convert the file to kindle format before delivering it to the kindle.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two good options for the OP then. Convert your html document as above. Or use koreader (requires jailbreak).
Old 12-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
font332
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Two good options for the OP then. Convert your html document as above. Or use koreader (requires jailbreak).
Thanks guys. Ofc, koreader is great in general, but this is my friend's kindle and can't do JB.
In html files changed to txt, the normal links to http adresses works normaly(are clickable)

Thanks for other suggestions tho, I will try them now.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
font332
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Quote:
I've checked both calibre converted mobi, azw3 or by email - non worked.

The browser workaround it's also quite poor because althoug it works, the documents are still in the web browser so it's quite slow.

Maybe it works on older paperwhites or something?
Old 12-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Successfully converted Word documents (.rtf) with Calibre --> .mobi with hyperlinks preserved. Dead easy, tested on PW4. Calibre 4.5.0, default conversion settings.

A cursory test with .html --> .mobi didn't work for me but which could have been for any number of reasons which I'm not committed to looking into.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
font332
Connoisseur

Quote:
rtf
Thanks for checking. I tried with rtf also but it didn't worked.
I was thinking could you maybe upload mentioned mobi file?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Quote:
Originally Posted by font332 View Post
maybe upload mentioned mobi file?

Afraid not. I used a random document at hand for the source which has personal information. Just converted a handful more to see if we could get a working mobi for you but internal hyperlinks fail to work on half of the converted documents (no issue with external hyperlinks).

All of the conversions that worked have personal info in them. Mobi is being very picky about something non-obvious in the formatting, which you'd have to either troubleshoot or Google to identify the specific failure point(s).

The original two ideas work properly. But you rejected those because you didn't want to jb (to use koreader) and you didn't like using the browser.

Tags
hack, html, hyperlink, kindle, paperwhite