Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
Dictionary coversion from .mobi to pocketbook format?

Hi, I have a dictionary for use with kindle and it consist of only one file in moby format. Is there a way to make this work with my Inkpad 2. And of course if there is such possibility, would someone be willing to explain me how?
Thank you!
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123477

Seems unlikely to happen.

How to convert other dictionaries to PocketBook format:
http://zderadicka.eu/convert-diction...-ebook-reader/
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
li-on
li-on will become famous soon enoughli-on will become famous soon enoughli-on will become famous soon enoughli-on will become famous soon enoughli-on will become famous soon enoughli-on will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook
Yes, it is possibile.

Unpack mobi with KindleUnpack:
https://github.com/kevinhendricks/KindleUnpack.git

In mobi7 folder run script to convert html to xdxf
https://pastebin.com/7hkFAmsu
(I know it's ugly)

Convert xdxf to pocketbook format
https://github.com/Markismus/PocketBookDic.git
You must also download pocketbook converter and install wine (on Linux)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1262456131
and set path to converter in pocketbookdic.pl
if your dictionary fails to convert - try $isRealDead=0;

Complicated but works
li-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@lin-on Nice that your using the script!!

Or use penelope from github to convert to Stardict and then my script to convert to pocketbook.

Just read the date on the thread. Sorry for necrobump!

Last edited by Markismus; 02-11-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Rsf
Rsf began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
@lin-on thank you, it basically works but something is lost in the conversion, I suspect it's the PHP code meesing up. Also when converting from prc using KindleUnpack the RegEx in the PHP script can't find the terms it's looking for, I had to twik it manually (there are added new lines and spaces).

@Markismus according to the documentation penelope can write to mobi but not read it
Rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

@Rsf You're completely right. I stumbled on this the other day when I wanted to convert Duden 7th edition from mobi to Stardict.

I've added a conversion from KindleUnpack'ed book.html to xdxf- and Stardict- and pocketbook-format to the pocketbookdic script on github.

I've only converted one two dictionaryies with it, so feel free to test and post issues.

Last edited by Markismus; 03-01-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
HGYLKCLB
HGYLKCLB began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook touch lux 4
I cannot for the life of me figure this out... Could someone either write a detailed step by step instruction on how to convert, say, an EPUB or MOBI dictionary to a dictionary being used on my pocketbook?? its one of my major beefs with my pocketbook, coming from a Kobo aura h20... the dictionary sucks comparatively
HGYLKCLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Markismus
Guru

I think you're missing half of the files. The home thread of the script is here on mobileread pocketbook developer's corner.

Last edited by Markismus; 02-23-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
Mora
Mora began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGYLKCLB View Post
I cannot for the life of me figure this out... Could someone either write a detailed step by step instruction on how to convert, say, an EPUB or MOBI dictionary to a dictionary being used on my pocketbook?? its one of my major beefs with my pocketbook, coming from a Kobo aura h20... the dictionary sucks comparatively
Couldn't agree more! I love the pocketbook, it's the best device out there. But the dictionary sucks. I just want a English dictionary. But the one that comes with it is super old and has few definitions, and the definitions that it does have are really lackluster too. If someone is willing to do a step by step guide that would be wonderful.
Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Search this forum for Ronnie Steiner's Wiktionary version of the English dictionary. He even combines the old Webster with the modern Wiktionary entries to make one large dictionary.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
Markismus
Guru

@Mora Look at this thread. Not only does it contain the script and setup instructions, it also contains the generated dictionaries. And if you have want only one converted, I am willing to throw it through the script and post a link to it.

Last edited by Markismus; 04-02-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #12
Mora
Mora began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
@Mora Look at this thread. Not only does it contain the script and setup instructions, it also contains the generated dictionaries. And if you have want only one converted, I am willing to throw it through the script and post a link to it.
Okay, those work. But it has weird formatting and a bunch of jumble. Some looks like code even.

For example when using the 'Oxford's Learners dictionary' the word "Scribe" for that word it comes up with this:

[ scribe scribes scribed scribing ] BrE [skraib]
z_scribe__gb_1.wav NAmE [skrib]
z_scribe__us_1.wav noun a person who made copies of written documents before printing was invented
World Origin:
Middle English (originally referring to a Jewish record-keeper): from Latin scriba , from scribere
'Write'
Example Bank:
• Before paper was common, medieval scribes used parchment or vellum.

And this was one of the clearer ones. But at least you can get the definition out of it.
Using the 'Oxford English Dictionary 2nd Ed' is much worse with the jumble and code.

Thanks anyway
Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Markismus
Guru

@Mora That looks like an old one version, where the wav-files references aren't stripped. I'll update those links, tomorrow. The present version of Oxford 2nd Ed. looks rather better than Advanced Learners 8th, though.

However, aside from that, what your are looking at is British-English [pronunciation],
North-American-English [pronunciation].

Could it be that you're seeing raw html-code in your pocketbook? I can't take a look myself: Returned the PocketbookInkpad3Pro, because it was too laggy.

Attached screenshots are from Koreader on my Linux desktop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-04-01 23-35-46.png
Views:	274
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	178058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-04-01 23-36-34.png
Views:	270
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	178059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-04-01 23-36-51.png
Views:	258
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	178060  

Last edited by Markismus; 04-01-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
Markismus
Guru

The newly converted dictionaries are uploaded here and the links are updated.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
Markismus
Guru

@Mora I ran into the same problem you had: html-tags appearing in the result.

Apparently, the script was a bit enthusiastic in converting '<' symbols to '&lt;'. I should have asked for a link to the dictionary that generated the issue. The code in github is now updated to handle it.