Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Hide libraries from "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page?

Is there a way to hide the library names that appear on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page?
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can select what libraries to make available in the server preferences. Libraries that you dont make availabe will not show up on that page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can select what libraries to make available in the server preferences. Libraries that you dont make availabe will not show up on that page.
In the GUI "Sharing over the net" prefs or do I have to run calibre-server from the command-line to set this preference?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
In the GUI "Sharing over the net" prefs or do I have to run calibre-server from the command-line to set this preference?
No
Preference: Sharing over the net: User accounts Tab

You create an account on the Left, then use the Change allowed Libraries button to set which that account sees (and/or can modify contents)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No
Preference: Sharing over the net: User accounts Tab

You create an account on the Left, then use the Change allowed Libraries button to set which that account sees (and/or can modify contents)
I don't want user accounts.

There's no way to hide libraries on the "Choose the calibre library to browse," such as by changing file/folder permissions?
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't want user accounts.

There's no way to hide libraries on the "Choose the calibre library to browse," such as by changing file/folder permissions?
NOPE
You may be confused a bit. These are Calibre accounts, not OS accounts.
Calibre is the USER of your PC (under the current logon). Changing FILE /folder permissions will break your usage. (rule 1: Don't mess under the skirts" )

You have choices:
Host that Library on a different server.

Delete (forget) the switch link using the Library Icon. This makes the library Unknown to Calibre (It DOES NOT delete the actual Library (or books) from your PC

Set a Share over the net user account with Library permissions
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
These are Calibre accounts, not OS accounts.
I'm on Linux.
I saw someone here on MR say it was possible to chmod the library directory to make it not appear on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page. I wish I could refind that post.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm on Linux.
I saw someone here on MR say it was possible to chmod the library directory to make it not appear on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page. I wish I could refind that post.
Did you try searching the Calibre forum for threads with keyword "chmod", there aren't that many, one of the thread titles and/or date might act as a reminder.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Geremia
Addict

"can Linux group-rights 'hide' a library?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you try searching the Calibre forum for threads with keyword "chmod"
I found it below, in the #similarthreads §:
"can Linux group-rights 'hide' a library?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
Oh thanks, nice hint.
Did some testing earlier today (with static nfs mounts). Seems that calibre isn't using the users umask (at least when set in ~/.bashrc).
I set one user to umask 0002 (which generates files with perm 775, but when starting calibre, the metadata.db and the book dirs are generated with 755.
The idea was setting up another user and give the second one write access trough the set umask.

So I still need to have a "close script" for calibre to set the permitions via chmod to 775.
Or is there a more elegant way?
I don't quite understand what the OP, mclien, did to accomplish this. Is he referring to Calibre users or to Linux users?…
Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I found it below, in the #similarthreads §:
"can Linux group-rights 'hide' a library?"
I don't quite understand what the OP, mclien, did to accomplish this. Is he referring to Calibre users or to Linux users?…
Just go to Preferences--sharing over the net.
  • you will have to create a user--just name it calibre just use a simple password.
  • click change the allowed libaraies
  • see screenshots.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-05-02 19-51-47.png
Views:	211
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	179021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-05-02 19-51-18.png
Views:	191
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	179022  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
[*]you will have to create a user--just name it calibre just use a simple password.
Oh, I thought having a user would disallow anonymous users, but I see it doesn't.
But, still, other libraries appear on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…"

Last edited by Geremia; 05-02-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Read post #4 again.
Each ID can specify ACCESS rights.
Once a User account has been set, The moose is no longer allowed
Old 05-03-2020, 11:53 PM   #13
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Read post #4 again.
Each ID can specify ACCESS rights.
Once a User account has been set, The moose is no longer allowed
I want anonymous users to be able to only see one calibre library on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page.
Having a "calibre" user with access rights only to that library doesn't disallow anonymous users from seeing all my libraries on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:08 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why? do you have some sensitive information in your library names?? The users wont be able to actually access the libraries, instead getting a nice error message telling them they dont have permission for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:38 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I want anonymous users to be able to only see one calibre library on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page.
Having a "calibre" user with access rights only to that library doesn't disallow anonymous users from seeing all my libraries on the "Choose the calibre library to browse…" page.
You are being dense or missed the setting options

Make a user: Anonymous : set their rights to Library Calibre (only): Read only
Make a user: EveryoneElse: set their rights to Libraries: <each name>: <whatever rights> [2nd pic: note top pulldown setting ]
(when user accounts are in use, all users must use a username and password. I have just 2 for 4 libraries) [1st pic]

This applies to Server access from the browser ( IP:PORT) ONLY

They only see which Libraries their rights allow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	server access.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	179073   Click image for larger version

Name:	LibAccess2.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	179074