Notices

View Poll Results: Flush or recessed screen
Flush screen 29 53.70%
Recessed screen 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
How much better is the clarity on recessed screen than flush? Does increasing the weight of the font solve the problem?
I find very little difference between recessed or flush as far as clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
If my fingers are resting on the bezel, do they touch the screen accidentally and flip a page?
I have my Kobo collection set to page forward/backward on swipe only. I think that most newer ereaders implement a similar feature.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I thought I would like flush screens better, but now that I've got a couple of them, I find I really don't notice or care when I'm reading. I would respond to this poll with an "Either" if the option was there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 01:50 AM   #18
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
I haven't had a flush screen ereader yet, but I would like one. Wiping the screen to remove dust and finger grease (even with page turn buttons I still touch the screen often for the menus) is a daily ritual. Cleaning a flush screen would go that little bit quicker and better and for me that would be worth it considering the amount of times I'm doing it.
This. I prefer a flush screen, making cleaning the front so much easier. And I really do not like fingerprints, meaning that I end up using the buttons 99% of the time.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
This. I prefer a flush screen, making cleaning the front so much easier. And I really do not like fingerprints, meaning that I end up using the buttons 99% of the time.
For me, how noticeable fingerprints are depends on the type of screen. I usually don't notice them on my e-ink reader screens unless they're really bad or the light hits the screen just right, but I am constantly wiping off my phone because fingerprints on it drive me nuts.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
For me, how noticeable fingerprints are depends on the type of screen. I usually don't notice them on my e-ink reader screens unless they're really bad or the light hits the screen just right, but I am constantly wiping off my phone because fingerprints on it drive me nuts.
It's exactly the opposite for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's exactly the opposite for me.
You love fingerprints?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You love fingerprints?
No, they just don't bother me on my phone, but bother me mightily on my ereaders and my tablet. I've gone so far that I use a stylus to navigate my ereaders and tablet, not a finger. With the phone I don't care about fingerprints.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
a

No, they just don't bother me on my phone, but bother me mightily on my ereaders and my tablet. I've gone so far that I use a stylus to navigate my ereaders and tablet, not a finger. With the phone I don't care about fingerprints.
My ereaders have matte screens so fingerprints aren't as obvious to me as on my shiny phone.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My ereaders have matte screens so fingerprints aren't as obvious to me as on my shiny phone.
Same here. I also have oily skin and I never see fingerprints or smudges on my ereaders. Phones, yes, especially because they're touching your ears and face at times.

Unless you're eating french fries and then swiping across your screen, I can't see how it's a problem for ereaders with a matte screen. Flush screens might show that problem more, I'm not sure if that top layer is matte or not on a flush screen reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Same here. I also have oily skin and I never see fingerprints or smudges on my ereaders. Phones, yes, especially because they're touching your ears and face at times.

Unless you're eating french fries and then swiping across your screen, I can't see how it's a problem for ereaders with a matte screen. Flush screens might show that problem more, I'm not sure if that top layer is matte or not on a flush screen reader.
I see them even on a matte screen. And no, I don't swipe the screen with dirty fingers. I see them on my phone too, of course, but for some mysterious reason they don't bother me on my phone.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #26
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
For the way I use an eReader/smartphone, I see zero benefit for a flush screen. But a couple of minor negatives: It's slicker all the way around, thus more likely to be dropped. For holding purposes, I like the feel of my fingers on a bezel rather than on a piece of glass. Flush is usually more expensive than recessed, but not so much for eReaders as for smartphones. After flush comes rounded sides, which I really hate. Supposedly a luxury look, but causes practical problems (like good case fitting, and being able to hold on to the slippery thing) and really kicks up the price. So we need to stop the rounded sides in advance, by cutting off flush screens at the root.

In my mind, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Flush provides no perceived benefits for me, so why do it? I'm wondering where everybody that is complaining about dust reads. My house is far from a laboratory clean room, but I don't have any problem with dust on the screen (everywhere else in the house, yeah, but not on the eReader screen).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
For the way I use an eReader/smartphone, I see zero benefit for a flush screen. But a couple of minor negatives: It's slicker all the way around, thus more likely to be dropped. For holding purposes, I like the feel of my fingers on a bezel rather than on a piece of glass.
Why are you conflating a flush screen with not having bezels around the edge of the screen?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Flush is a separate issue to a borderless screen (which is technically difficult and fragile, most so called edge to edge just have small bezel). You can have flush with a large border/bezel.

Additionally flush screens vary hugely on the distance of the actual displayed image from the outer surface, though maybe not so much the eink types.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #29
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I will admit - I do wish the screen on my Voyages was recessed.

I find it far more comfortable to grip the bezels with little to no worry about accidentally turning the page...

If only Amazon would let Voyages disable the screen as one can do on an Oasis.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I prefer flush.

Perhaps some enterprising company could create a DX-sized Kindle cover that will fit a Kindle Voyage, one centered right in the middle of this oversized cover. Then it could be comfortably held with both hands AND/OR feet without triggering an accidental page turn.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote