Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
recommended margins for basic kindle?

Hello everyone, I have a basic kindle (touch) and I would like to know which margins are correct to use during book conversion. I explain in the page configuration part in caliber the margins appear by default in 5, what are the recommended margins for the kindle screen size?

thanks to everyone
PS: books are for me nothing more.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess kindle View Post
Hello everyone, I have a basic kindle (touch) and I would like to know which margins are correct to use during book conversion. I explain in the page configuration part in caliber the margins appear by default in 5, what are the recommended margins for the kindle screen size?

thanks to everyone
PS: books are for me nothing more.
Whichever margins you are happy with are correct. Personally, I remove margins since I use the margin slider on my ereader to set left/right margins.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Princess kindle
Enthusiast

Thanks for youur answer David
Another question. Do you know what is the minimun line, or what is it for? is that there are many adjustments that I could make in conversion but I don't know how it works.

Again thanks
Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess kindle View Post
Thanks for youur answer David
Another question. Do you know what is the minimun line, or what is it for? is that there are many adjustments that I could make in conversion but I don't know how it works.

Again thanks
Are you referring to minimum line height in the Common options/Look and feel/fonts? The default of 120% basically gives you some blank space between adjacent lines. If you decrease the setting too far, you can get ascenders and descenders meeting in the middle. You can check line-height CSS property page to play with some samples.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre defaults are reasonable and tend to follow mainstream publishing practices .
When I see these 'tweaked', it is usually 'indies' trying to make it look longer than it is (eg line-height: 2; (unless that is for a beginner reader) ) so the Pages (as viewed, are higher )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Princess kindle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you referring to minimum line height in the Common options/Look and feel/fonts? The default of 120% basically gives you some blank space between adjacent lines. If you decrease the setting too far, you can get ascenders and descenders meeting in the middle. You can check line-height CSS property page to play with some samples.
Thanks to both of you. Yes, I am referring to that option, the link you recommended was useful.