Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
The question here is - is she coming back??
She says so. But, I think she's enjoying the peace now that our kids have come back home. That peace will be broken as a niece is visiting with her six-month old and husband. What I can't work out is which of the three of them will drive her out first.
Quote:
Now may be an excellent time to covertly make a new purchase - don't forget the bubble bath and ducks!
The problem with that is they aren't available in Australia yet. They are supposed to be in another week or so.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That peace will be broken as a niece is visiting with her six-month old and husband. What I can't work out is which of the three of them will drive her out first.
Send her some earplugs

Quote:
The problem with that is they aren't available in Australia yet. They are supposed to be in another week or so.
Nooooo!I think you deserve one just for the tortuous wait that Kobo have put you through
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Quote:

** And don't bother with "Buy a Kindle". It's not going to happen.
I feel guilty since I was forced to make the switch from Kobo to Kindle just a few weeks ago lol.

What I know is that LED lights don't just go busted unless it's physically harmed. Did you drop the Kobo?

I am not sure if this is anything related but back when the Nokia Phones are the norm, I overcharged my 3310 and although my battery is still good, the Backlight (LED) got busted. Well this is an unlikely scenario but maybe the LED lights got fried up for some reason? DId you overcharge your Kobo, used a power adapter that is not recommended or anything?

If not physical harm or software issue, it must be something electrical.

Quote:

* Yes, "Buy an Aura H2O"** is the obvious one. I'm not sure if my wife will believe the Glo broke less than two weeks before the H2O finally becomes available down here.
Now it's my turn to ask you the question. Do you want a new device? :P
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
I feel guilty since I was forced to make the switch from Kobo to Kindle just a few weeks ago lol.

What I know is that LED lights don't just go busted unless it's physically harmed. Did you drop the Kobo?
Not in the few weeks before the light stopped. And definitely not between when I know it worked and when I noticed it wasn't.
Quote:
I am not sure if this is anything related but back when the Nokia Phones are the norm, I overcharged my 3310 and although my battery is still good, the Backlight (LED) got busted. Well this is an unlikely scenario but maybe the LED lights got fried up for some reason? DId you overcharge your Kobo, used a power adapter that is not recommended or anything?
Interesting idea, but the Glo nearly always gets charged from my laptop. It occasionally gets charged using an iPad charger, but, that hasn't happened since before Christmas. And really, unless it is cumulative damage, I don't think this is it. Over it's life, my Glo has spent a lot of time connected to my PC while I fiddle with calibre. I doubt if it has been connected for eight hours in one session, but it definitely has been connected for four.
Quote:
If not physical harm or software issue, it must be something electrical.
Yes, I've opened it but don't see anything obvious.
Quote:
Now it's my turn to ask you the question. Do you want a new device? :P
Bad question. "Want", yes. But, "need", "should buy", "can afford", "can justify" maybe not. I was considering buying a H2O, but, I would have waited to see if a good deal came along. This is forcing my hand. To be honest, I am very happy with the Glo (at least while the light worked) and don't really need the extra size and screen of the H2O. But, I might change my mind when I see one.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #20
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
The on/off message is sent, but the LED's are not receiving power.
I suggest reseating all the connectors related to the lights on the board, also check for dry solder joints, if in doubt about a solder joint dab a appropriate soldering iron on the joints in doubt

Last edited by leftright; 01-22-2015 at 01:23 AM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 01:12 AM   #21
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bad question. "Want", yes. But, "need", "should buy", "can afford", "can justify" maybe not. I was considering buying a H2O, but, I would have waited to see if a good deal came along. This is forcing my hand. To be honest, I am very happy with the Glo (at least while the light worked) and don't really need the extra size and screen of the H2O. But, I might change my mind when I see one.
Well, if you can live with a "Basic Kobo" then I guess you should wait. But if lighting is something that is a must for you, then if you can't figure out what's happening, maybe it's time to get a new device.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #22
ryuji35
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
The LED's are not getting power, although the on/off message is sent.
I suggest checking all the connectors related to the lights on the board, also check for dry solder joints, if in doubt run a appropriate soldering iron across the joints in doubt
This might be tricky since he'll be fiddling with the electronics WHICH if not done properly, he might get the whole device ruined.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #23
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
This might be tricky.
Yes it might be, depends on one's ability.

Quote:
WHICH if not done properly.
There are several excellent videos relating to dry solder techniques on youtube, it's not rocket science.
If in doubt as to ability, take the unit to a local electronics guy/friend let him run a soldering iron across the joints, he'll most probably do it for free if the unit is already dissembled.
Quote:
He might get the whole device ruined.
and not being able to use a primary feature hasn't partly ruined it ?. If my lights went out I'd consider it useless as I use mine primarily as a sleeping tablet

Last edited by leftright; 01-22-2015 at 01:35 AM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The on/off message is sent, but the LED's are not receiving power.
I suggest reseating all the connectors related to the lights on the board, also check for dry solder joints, if in doubt about a solder joint dab a appropriate soldering iron on the joints in doubt
I've checked cables and connectors. I didn't think of dry solder joints but I did look at the board for anything obvious. I might have another look over the weekend. And I know my limits with a soldering iron. If I see anything, it will mean a visit to a neighbour.

Quote:
Well, if you can live with a "Basic Kobo" then I guess you should wait. But if lighting is something that is a must for you, then if you can't figure out what's happening, maybe it's time to get a new device.
When I bought the Glo, I was after the higher resolution screen (compared to the Touch) and I thought the light as an interesting gimmick. But, I have gotten used to reading in bed at night with the lights off. Since this happened, I have been reading with a room light on and have realised how much more comfortable I am when I don't have to worry about where the light is coming from.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #25
ryuji35
Zealot

Quote:

And not being able to use a primary feature hasn't partly ruined it ?. If my lights went out I'd consider it useless as I use mine primarily as a sleeping tablet
Well, better to have a no light Kobo but can still show ebooks rather than a Kobo which can't show books anymore. But I get your point.

I guess davidfor should do everything he can to save the light, but if not, then I guess it IS a good reason to buy a new device. The Glo is 2 years old so it's well-depreciated. But if he can live without the light, no reason to buy a $180 device.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to contact Kobo and see what they would be willing to do for you. Maybe they'll replace the Glo or give you a discount on a new unit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:01 AM   #27
dom123dom
Zealot
dom123dom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4Gb 2013 (s/n 9017..)
Quote:
I've checked cables and connectors. I didn't think of dry solder joints but I did look at the board for anything obvious. I might have another look over the weekend. And I know my limits with a soldering iron. If I see anything, it will mean a visit to a neighbour.
Hi Davidfor, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have just installed a replacement screen in my Glo and it's working fine except the brightness.
dom123dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:13 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom123dom View Post
Hi Davidfor, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have just installed a replacement screen in my Glo and it's working fine except the brightness.
I have no idea how, but the actual LEDs failed. Or the strip it is in was damaged somehow. I was able to prove this as the screen was broken on another Glo in the family. I was able to connect the light from this to my Glo and it worked. Unfortunately, I damaged it somehow while removing it from one device and putting it in the other.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
LEDs do fail, anyone who believed the "20,000+ hours" marketing claims and replaced their conventional lightbulbs with "long life" LED can probably attest to that.
in my experience, after refitting the whole house, a few were DOA, a few more died quickly - but those that make it through year 1 may actually keep working for another 19 years - ask me for an update then!

its poor e-reader design though if a single failure takes out a whole strip - you may expect that behavior with cheap Xmas tree strings of lights but I'd expect an ebook to keep the others workign even ifone1 burns out.

though if it shorts as it dies then it can do more damage - we once had a house ceiling light go bang , leaving one room covered in glass shards and the power off at the the main circuit breaker
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #30
dom123dom
Zealot
dom123dom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4Gb 2013 (s/n 9017..)
Quote:
I have no idea how, but the actual LEDs failed. Or the strip it is in was damaged somehow. I was able to prove this as the screen was broken on another Glo in the family. I was able to connect the light from this to my Glo and it worked. Unfortunately, I damaged it somehow while removing it from one device and putting it in the other.
Thanks for the reply, I thought as much. I have swapped out another LED strip from the frst replacement screen I bought (wrong one) and it works. But unfortunately it's got 7 LED's not 5 and it looks all bled out, no good. I tried another Glo strip in there (the original one from the broken screen) and it fails as well. I wonder if you can buy these as spares from somewhere....
dom123dom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo, light