Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
They actually do convert to other formats too, but we have to ask for it specifically:

https://1dollarscan.com/pricing.php

File Conversion
" We can convert your scanned PDF to many other files such as WORD, epub, txt, audio formats for audio books and many other file types. Please contact us with yours needs at contact@1dollarscan.com "
And you know how badly that can go. So no thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #167
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
A scan always results in an image and an image never contains any text that can be further processed.
You can only try to extract this with OCR.
We both have mentioned pdf scans, not just scanned jpeg, bmp etc. image files.

Pdf scans before OCR application are indeed non-searchable (and non-highlightable) scans, but after OCR has been applied thereon they become searchable pdf scans, if OCR layer has been saved within pdf scan.

Although nowadays we can search and highlight even non-searchable pdf scans e.g. using iOS/Android apps that would automatically apply OCR on the currently opened pdf page as we read it (without saving it to pdf thereafter), or we can search a full folder of non-searchable pdf scans in this way without opening any file.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-05-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #168
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Curious to know what the OP decided on and how does an ereader know if a book was "shared"
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #169
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoRL View Post
...how does an ereader know if a book was "shared"
It doesn't know. I sideload my Kobo and Google Play purchases onto my Kindles all the time. Amazon has no way to determine whether I bought the books or downloaded them from a file-sharing site.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #170
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoRL View Post
Curious to know what the OP decided on...
Yeah, I've been curious too.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #171
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
All ereaders that I know of are locked in their own ecosystem unless you use calibre to strip DRM then sideload content.

I like KOBO Libra H2O. The orange light on it is very nice especially on the white model and KOBO is the most customizable e-reader I know of. No SD card and you can turn off wifi if you want with an on-screen toggle button.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #172
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
All ereaders that I know of are locked in their own ecosystem unless you use calibre to strip DRM then sideload content.
Tolinos and PocketBooks have Adobe ADE built-in so they can download Adobe DRM books directly from various eBook sellers. The limitation is whether their built-in browsers can navigate the various pop-ups the sites use for downloads. For example, I can't download books from Google Books because I can't get the "three dot" menu to "pop-up" and work in my Tolino's browser. It looks like Kobo now has the same issue. (I used to be able to buy books directly from Kobo using my Tolino.) Tolinos and PocketBooks can also borrow directly from Overdrive.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #173
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If you have a Kobo, you are not locked in to buying eBooks just from Kobo. You can buy from any place that sells ePub except Apple & B&N.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #174
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Kobo, you are not locked in to buying eBooks just from Kobo. You can buy from any place that sells ePub except Apple & B&N.
So long as you have the ability to use Adobe ADE on your computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #175
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are going to use that argument, the same goes for Nook. And Nook uses ePub by default rather than kepub.

Honestly, Kobos are just as 'locked to an ecosystem' as every other reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote