Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
With the firmware fix, how do you like reading in the dark?

In another thread I got confirmation that Kobo addressed the issue of the Glo's lowest light setting still being too bright in the dark. Now that the setting has been adjusted for an even lower light level, how has it affected your reading in the dark? I'm assuming you no longer think it's too bright in a dark room?

The reason I ask is because I am going to buy either a Glo or an Aura. This issue had me leaning strongly towards an Aura. But since I found out the Glo's brightness has been addressed in a firmware fix, I'm very willing to consider a Glo again. I do want to hear how it's affected current Glo owners before I purchase.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm fine reading in the dark with my Glo now. However I can't help but be tempted by the Aura with its two-finger swipe for instant brightness control, and its slightly smaller form factor. If I was buying anew, and could inspect in-store for pinpricks etc instead of going through refund processes, I'd probably plump for the Aura.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm fine reading in the dark with my Glo now. However I can't help but be tempted by the Aura with its two-finger swipe for instant brightness control, and its slightly smaller form factor. If I was buying anew, and could inspect in-store for pinpricks etc instead of going through refund processes, I'd probably plump for the Aura.
Thank you for confirming the brightness is low enough to not be uncomfortable. I am also very tempted by the Aura, but I am quite worried I'll have the pinprick and lines across the top of the screen issues. I wouldn't know where to go to see any Kobo devices in person now that Borders is gone. I was planning on buying a Glo or Aura directly from Kobo since they have two nice, stackable coupons right now (xmas20 for $20 off, and pocket for 10% off).
Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Nevermind, I found a place I can possibly fondle a Glo and Aura in person. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have both in stock.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There was also a hardware change with the Glo: the first Glos had a brighter, cooler light; later Glos had a dimmer, warmer light. Something to keep in mind if you are buying second hand, or watching one of those review videos where the reviewers compare the latest reader with an old Glo running out of date firmware.

(Eyes are different too. I have one of the earlier Glos with the brighter light, but in a completely dark room I read with the light set at about 10-12%.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Use the night-mode hack

For reading in the dark on the Kobo Glo or Kobo Aura HD, use this simple hack -- it lets you easily invert the screen when reading in the dark (dark background, light letters). I love it. It is NOT supported on the Aura (non-HD); you CAN use it on the Touch and Mini, although neither of those have backlights:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162

Works flawlessly, easily, and makes night-time reading a joy; my favourite Kobo feature. (I have ALL the models listed above, but because of this hack I use my Glo much more frequently than I use my Aura -- I recommend a Glo rather than an Aura for night-time reading.)
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Oh, I was unaware of the hardware changes. That's a major revision then. Thanks for the very useful information.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Wow, Robert! Thanks for the note. I'll keep that in mind if I get a Glo.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yep, true. I got my girlfriend a newer Glo, and side by side it was noticeably dimmer and more comfortable than my old one on the lowest setting.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I don't know which version my Glo is, but the light is more blue than yellow and I find a setting of about 50% is comfortable for my night-time reading.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Yep, true. I got my girlfriend a newer Glo, and side by side it was noticeably dimmer and more comfortable than my old one on the lowest setting.
Excellent. I'd assume most, if not all, new Glos are the ones that have the hardware modification allowing a lower light setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I don't know which version my Glo is, but the light is more blue than yellow and I find a setting of about 50% is comfortable for my night-time reading.
Wow, 50% at night you say? And that's in a dark room with no light source?

I must say, I am absolutely torn between the Glo and Aura. I don't know which one to buy.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

The heck with it, I just ordered an Aura directly from Kobo for $115 shipped. I used promo codes: pocket (10% off) and xmas20 ($20 off). Boy I sure hope I don't get a pinprick-riddled screen or one with the hash marks all over the place. We shall see...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
I have it at about 30% and that's comfy enough for nightime and twilight reading. I might turn it down a little due to some dark lines in the foot of the page. But for most part I set it and leave it at that
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I have it at about 30% and that's comfy enough for nightime and twilight reading. I might turn it down a little due to some dark lines in the foot of the page. But for most part I set it and leave it at that
Wow. I normally leave my Glo at the lowest light setting, unless I'm out and about in a dimly lit environment. But then, I'm normally using the Glo's light in a room so dark that my alarm clock and small power lights are significant light sources. (I think I also have an early model; there's a distinct blue cast to the lighting.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
For reading in the dark on the Kobo Glo or Kobo Aura HD, use this simple hack -- it lets you easily invert the screen when reading in the dark (dark background, light letters). I love it. It is NOT supported on the Aura (non-HD);

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162
Actually yoq made a test build that works on Aura a few days ago
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=269

you can use that build only on Aura for now, he also said that he'll do a general build that will work on all models later.
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote