Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Mobileread front page bigotry?

Look at the Mobileread front page today, 1/28/2010, and you will see 10 'articles' down the left frame that are the original post summary for various topics. Some are VERY lengthy and one is the shortest of all by far, the post about Apple's iPad. If you add up all the Mobileread family interest (judged by replies to the original post) in every one of them except that very brief Apple listing, combined they don't total one-fifth of the replies to the Apple iPad thread.

Yet we've spent 40 lines on the front page describing in great detail all the features of a second tier Chinese device that only a dozen people in this forum will ever own while failing to describe the features of a product that will sell more devices to Mobileread members in the first year than all the other devices currently owned by Mobileread members.

Why? Just because its an Apple device? Or because it'll do ebooks as well and any other device but it does other stuff too and so it isn't pure enough an ereader to warrant more attention on the front page?

I've read the e-ink snobbery in this forum for some time and continue to be amazed and the temerity of some members to tell us that nothing but e-ink is worthy of being labeled an ereader. But when this snobbery turns into institutionalized actions like populating the front page, it stops being snobbery and becomes technology bigotry.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you want all sorts of data check the wiki. There are also many threads in the news forum. The news post was probably made before all the data was clear.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Why? Just because its an Apple device? Or because it'll do ebooks as well and any other device but it does other stuff too and so it isn't pure enough an ereader to warrant more attention on the front page?

I've read the e-ink snobbery in this forum for some time and continue to be amazed and the temerity of some members to tell us that nothing but e-ink is worthy of being labeled an ereader. But when this snobbery turns into institutionalized actions like populating the front page, it stops being snobbery and becomes technology bigotry.
It will do ebooks no more than my Desktop PC, or my laptop, or my netbook. The same LCD screen(be it lamp or LED lit) that doesn't suit my eyes to read books from it.
For me, yes, only eInk devices are worthy to be considered as ebook reader. Before the first eInk ebook reader I could not read ebooks. Only eInk allowed me to enjoy ebook reading.

You have a very loud mouth. You walk around and throw words such as temerity, snobbery, bigotry when you don't have a basic tolerance and understanding that all people are different. That what you see is simply a difference in tastes. You don't have enough intelligence to realise that this forum is naturally attracting people who cannot read from all sort of hand held devices and eInk is the solution (the only solution as of today) for them. Along with superb battery life that no non-eInk based gadget can rival with.

I feel sorry for you that you see this place through such polluted light of your own making.

Last edited by astra; 01-29-2010 at 05:22 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Please refrain from rudeness in posting. Our guidelines can be found here and directly address this.

If there is a member whom you do not wish to communicate with, please use the "Ignore User" function:

Click on User CP
Click on Edit Ignored Users
Type first few letters of said user's name
Click on User's name
Click Okay
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I was also very disappointed in the MobileRead front page coverage of the iPad.

I don't have the front page history but my memory is that when the Kindle DX was announced there was multiple entries on the front page about it. I think there was even news about covers for it. This was basically a screen size increase from 6" to 9.7". I agree it was news and deserved the coverage though.

I don't expect equal coverage on all devices and I understand there are slow news weeks where MobileRead is probably digging for news to throw up there. In any measure of mobile reading though I think the iPad and iBook store was big news.

I have to question the objectivity and editorial process of what is worthy of front page coverage when Apple iPad was ignored.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, one, we didn't get an invite to the launch, so we couldn't get press credentials for a member to go. Two, all we have so far is stuff that we would be reporting second hand Engadget, etc.) Three, the other threads about iPad have had a tendency to deteriorate into arguments, so we don't want to showcase disagreements.

I will take a look at the threads out there and see if anything is Front Page worthy and run it by Nate to try and get the balance better.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post

I don't have the front page history but my memory is that when the Kindle DX was announced there was multiple entries on the front page about it. I think there was even news about covers for it. This was basically a screen size increase from 6" to 9.7". I agree it was news and deserved the coverage though.

I don't expect equal coverage on all devices and I understand there are slow news weeks where MobileRead is probably digging for news to throw up there. In any measure of mobile reading though I think the iPad and iBook store was big news.

I have to question the objectivity and editorial process of what is worthy of front page coverage when Apple iPad was ignored.

Well, for the longest time now I've been doing most of the work, and recently I moved to a blog. Also, there really isn't much to say about iBooks and the iPad; Apple hasn't released much information yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
While I can promise that there is no secret conspiracy against Apple product, I agree that more coverage should be added. We are currently focusing on our efforts in revamping the frontpage system for better coverage in the future.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, one, we didn't get an invite to the launch, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well, for the longest time now I've been doing most of the work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
While I can promise that there is no secret conspiracy against Apple product...
First, Let me thank the three above for the incredible work they do for all of us here. Alexander for making this forum happen, Nate for the frequent quality reports, and psrynk (and other Mods) for keeping the conversations on-topic and worthy of the time to remain a daily lurker and occasional conversationist.

I do see your point that without an invite to the fluff-conference, you could report little except summaries; but we saw those summaries from the Amazon fluff-conference about the Kindle devices.

But I'll yield and concede that the possibilty of a vast right-wing conspiracy against Apple here is just as ludicrous (and truly comical) here as it was in American politics a few years ago. I and several others have just grown weary of being slammed in these forums for mentioning that our ereader needs might be satisfied by anything other than hallowed e-ink ereader devices. Rather than logical discussion it usually devolves to cries to burn us at the stake for such heresy. I'm certain this contributed to me being overly sensitive about the lack of front page mention of the new Apple device and percieving the lack of 'above the fold' dedicated space as another slight for heretical views.

I do appreciate the gift you provide me personally by running a very professionally managed forum and will cease cries of oppression against non-e-ink devices and those who can tolerate their widely reported flaws. Thank you for your response, your reasoned consideration, and most of all for the countless hours of time you invest so I and others can remain abreast of all things related to mobile reading.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post

I do see your point that without an invite to the fluff-conference, you could report little except summaries; but we saw those summaries from the Amazon fluff-conference about the Kindle devices.
I'm pretty sure either Nate or Dennis was invited to the Kindle 2 unveiling and reported about it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I haven't done the math, but I agree with pkingforgotthenumber ... sometimes, the attempt to treat every party equally will result in mistreating one or more of them. Like over-zealous political correctness, or overdoing "gendering". By stating that "MobileRead will not succumb to and/or promote aPple FanBoiism", it actually makes Apple users feel like they're freaks.

I guess I agree with the "eInk is not the one, true, eBook technology" statement. I've been looked at diagonally (as far as that is possible in a web forum) for stating that I love reading on a smartphone, and even more so ever since I moved to the iPhone.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote