Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #16
duska3419
duska3419 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I do want to mention just so you guys don't think I'm wasting anyones time here that it matters to me because I'm going to be using the Paperwhite next month. I already made a copy of MY library in Calibre to convert everything to AZW3. I was messing around with those plugs on a 3 book series just to see how it works, but I have to do a bunch of work on my books anyway to get them PW ready so if there is a way to get the plugs to work on a Paperwhite I could do my whole library in one shot and kill two birds with one stone. If that makes sense.
duska3419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by duska3419 View Post
This is the part I'm calling code: template: {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

Whatever it is called, I don't know how to do it. Like I said I messed around with it a little bit and got it kind of nice, by changing it to this: {series_index:0>2s|| }{title} so now it's just 01 A Game of Thrones instead of A Song of Ice & Fire - 01 - A Game of Thrones. But like I said I don't really know what I'm doing with it so I don't wanna mess around with it and end up screwing something up.
I don't have a Kindle, but I would have thought you would want the series info first to ensure the sort properly.

Quote:
I do wanna talk about future proofing though because if this could future proof it so I can use it in a Paperwhite I definitely want to find out how. Because right now there's no option in the device drop down box for Kindle Paperwhite.
The very first item on the list is "Any Device" use that one. Any time your send a AZW3 to any device this plugboard will be used.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #18
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I do wanna talk about future proofing though because if this could future proof it so I can use it in a Paperwhite I definitely want to find out how. Because right now there's no option in the device drop down box for Kindle Paperwhite. See Look:
This is because the generic 'Kindle' entry applies for the PW. The other Kindle related entries are for families of Kindle that need their own specific treatment.

With the rate at which new models of ebook hardware appear, specific models only get their own entry if they are actually needed. This avoids the list getting unnecessarily long.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #19
duska3419

Ohhhhhh okay. See I wasn't sure because The post where I got that from the guy said he had a Kindle 3 and used the setting for Kindle 2. I have a Kindle 3 so I figured it'd be all right for mine too. Thanks for the clarification.

And Doctor, I keep the series books in Collections which are basically folders. So on the Kindle's main directory I've got a subdirectory for each series, so I don't want the series title in the filename and it's redundant and it'll take too long to see the actual names of the books. (Because it only displays so many characters then it kind of scrolls through when u put the cursor on it) So I'll have the Collection named A Song of Ice and Fire and then within that collection it'll be 01 A Game of Thrones, 02 A Clash of Kings etc.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@duska

Those are (driver) Families.

The name comes from FIRST use of the driver. All family members have the same setting.

I have an ASTAK Pocket Pro.
The FAMILY is Hanlin V5

The (driver) name to choose is shown on Calibre's bottom status bar when the device is connected
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This is because the generic 'Kindle' entry applies for the PW. The other Kindle related entries are for families of Kindle that need their own specific treatment.

With the rate at which new models of ebook hardware appear, specific models only get their own entry if they are actually needed. This avoids the list getting unnecessarily long.
Quote:
Ohhhhhh okay. See I wasn't sure because The post where I got that from the guy said he had a Kindle 3 and used the setting for Kindle 2. I have a Kindle 3 so I figured it'd be all right for mine too. Thanks for the clarification.
Just one minor correction: the "kindle" device plugin is for the original kindle, the "kindle_dx" device plugin is for the Kindle DX, and the "kindle2" device plugin is for all other models. Hence the title of that plugin is "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite Device Interface".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
duska3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just one minor correction: the "kindle" device plugin is for the original kindle, the "kindle_dx" device plugin is for the Kindle DX, and the "kindle2" device plugin is for all other models. Hence the title of that plugin is "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite Device Interface".
Thanks for that, that is important info for me. Out of curiosity, where do you see that title of plugin?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #23
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Thanks for that, that is important info for me. Out of curiosity, where do you see that title of plugin?
That is its description under Preferences->plugins->Device interface plugins
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Oasis 3
"author_sort" or "authors"

Hi together,

I'm trying to handle collections on my new PW2 (had 3,5yrs with a Sony and Calibre, which was a good match).

Now while collections are very easy with Kindle Collections plugin and LS on the PW2, there are two things I'm not able to solve without help...
  1. Order of books inside and outside collections: When I pick sort by "Author" on the Kindle, it orders the books by firstname, which I find rather ridiculous How can I make the Kindle sort by lastname? In calibre, the library is tagged perfectly with one exception, author (Crichton, Michael) and author_sort (Crichton, Michael)... But shouldn't it use author_sort anyway? Also, on the Kindle, the authors are displayed like "Michael Crichton".
  2. Is the update metadata on device function not working with the PW2? If I change a tag in Calibre, I can't get the Kindle to recognize the change without deleting and re-transfering the book.
Thanks for any ideas
PRS-T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS-T2 View Post
Hi together,

I'm trying to handle collections on my new PW2 (had 3,5yrs with a Sony and Calibre, which was a good match).

Now while collections are very easy with Kindle Collections plugin and LS on the PW2, there are two things I'm not able to solve without help...
  1. Order of books inside and outside collections: When I pick sort by "Author" on the Kindle, it orders the books by firstname, which I find rather ridiculous How can I make the Kindle sort by lastname? In calibre, the library is tagged perfectly with one exception, author (Crichton, Michael) and author_sort (Crichton, Michael)... But shouldn't it use author_sort anyway? Also, on the Kindle, the authors are displayed like "Michael Crichton".
  2. Is the update metadata on device function not working with the PW2? If I change a tag in Calibre, I can't get the Kindle to recognize the change without deleting and re-transfering the book.
Thanks for any ideas
  1. For some reason I do not quite understand, the default settings require you to set the following option: Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI/AZW3 (tabs) and check the option "Use author sort for author"

Explanation: The mobi7/8 format has no author field, just an author_sort field, which everyone calls the author field (I am not sure why, I prefer thinking of it my way). The Kindle takes this, swaps it around the comma for display in the UI, and uses it for sorting. When that field reads "Michael Crichton", the Kindle sees it as author_sort == "Michael Crichton" and sorts appropriately.
  2. The Kindle reads metadata from the embedded metadata in the book. You must send an updated copy of the book.
    This is different form say the Kobo where calibre can edit a database containing the metadata, and the Kobo will not notice the mismatch.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #26
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Ah, good explanation! However, shouldn't my PW do it right then, no matter what is set in the conversion settings? Whether it's fed from authors or author_sort: it always gets "lastname, firstname".
I still don't get why it's sorting by firstname...
Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS-T2 View Post
Ah, good explanation! However, shouldn't my PW do it right then, no matter what is set in the conversion settings? Whether it's fed from authors or author_sort: it always gets "lastname, firstname".
I still don't get why it's sorting by firstname...
Hmm, didn't notice that.

I am officially bewildered.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Plugboard template misconfigured?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Plugboard template misconfigured?
'Tis a thought...

I generally don't think of plugboards targeting author values.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #30
PRS-T2
Connoisseur

I deleted all books and refilled the Kindle and the prob was gone. Hickup while filling it in the first place?

Anyway the sorting is all right now. And, for my taste, even better: eschwartz somehow inspired me to actually play with the author_sort field in the plugboard and I tested a while (never changed that field before in the plugboard).
Turns out: it's possible to trick the PW2 into NOT switching "lastname, firstname" to "firstname lastname" but show the content of author_sort instead in the books list and inside collections
I love it!
Also I added the series and series index to the author now.

In the book list (filter "books", "collections" or "all items") I have the following order now:

<book title>
<author_sort B>,
<book title>
<author_sort B>, - <series A title> - <001>
<book title>
<author_sort B>, - <series A title> - <002>
<book title>
<author_sort B>, - <series A title> - <003>
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series B title> - <001>
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series B title> - <002>
<book title>
<author_sort C>,
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series C title> - <001>
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series C title> - <002>
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series C title> - <003>
<book title>
<author_sort C>, - <series C title> - <004>
The little comma added to the author_sort field via plugboard did the trick. That it also shows everywhere next to the author is not an issue for me

I also have one collection named <''All book series> now that sits on top of all other collections. Inside are all my series ordered by author_sort, then series, then index.

Now I have all my Sony reading and handling comfort back plus all the goodies the PW brings