Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
mathmac
mathmac began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
TOC vertical spacing

I use BBedit to form my ebooks. Recently I find that the vertical spacing of the toc-nix file is wider than it should be. I have checked the file and it does not appear to be different from other ncx files...

What can be changing the spacing? And is there any formatting possible in the toc?

Diane
mathmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm guessing you mean the lines seem further apart.

The display of the generated ToC is entirely under the control of the reader application. The only thing that could possibly alter it is if you'd embedded control characters in the ncx.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
mathmac

Yes--the lines that delineate each toc entry are lots farther apart. I have tried everything ... still cannot figure out what causes this. I took the toc file from my first book (that displays correctly) and entered the links and text for this book ... made no difference. this also made me wonder if it might not be possible to apply formatting like text color to entries in the ncx toc. Of course I am optimizing for the iPad -- that is why I can think of color ... No one else has had this happen? (the wide vertical spacing)?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmac View Post
Yes--the lines that delineate each toc entry are lots farther apart. I have tried everything ... still cannot figure out what causes this. I took the toc file from my first book (that displays correctly) and entered the links and text for this book ... made no difference. this also made me wonder if it might not be possible to apply formatting like text color to entries in the ncx toc. Of course I am optimizing for the iPad -- that is why I can think of color ... No one else has had this happen? (the wide vertical spacing)?
There is no easy way to control the formatting of the toc.ncx as it is displayed by the application and has no formatting control. Are you saying that the toc from the toc.ncx is displaying different in different books on the iPad? What application are you using to display the book? Is it the same one? Can you post images of the difference in display?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
mathmac

I am only optimizing for the iPad 2. So I am comparing toc.ncx display of my first ebook and this new ebook on the same device.

I normally preview in Firefox. Both Firefox and Calibre handle the toc.ncx quite differently than the iPad 2. But the doc.ncx is appropriate and "normal" when viewed in those.

Yes, I wasn't aware of any formatting possibilities for the "built-in" doc...

The only thing I haven't tried is to try the doc.ncx with only 2 entries and see if there is a change. But really I have only 25 or so entries...

Diane
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
mathmac

Sorry, the Mac keeps changing "toc.ncx" to "doc.ncx" … of course in my previous post that is what I was typing.

Tags
toc creation