Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
emen
Edge User

USB to Ethernet adapter

Hello! I've just received my edge, after one whole month of waiting. I live in Eastern Europe, and here the USB to Ethernet adapter mentioned on the site, cannot be found (if i ordered one, the pleasure would cost me at least $80). I own an adapter that will not work, although it's said to work under Linux. Is there anything I can do to get it connected, maybe I'm doing something wrong? I just plug it in, and nothing happens. Are there any drivers I could install?

It's a shame I cannot use my edge because of this connection problem

Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Snepscheut
Edge User

Hello,
Maybe y you can use wifi?
or take you your entourage to a good computer shop and ask them if you can have a try with the adapters that they sell and find out witch will work.

without internet you can use your entourage by putting your files on a Sd- card.

success.

Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'm having a similar problem. I'm traveling in the Netherlands now and no one seems to have one at any of the shops I've been to. When I ask for an ethernet/USB adapter, they point me to USB cables or ethernet adapters without a USB connection. Snepscheut, aren't you in the Netherlands? Any idea of a shop that carries these?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

Now if I could only find this in Den Haag!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Surely Europe has online electronics websites?
Ja, in nederlander! And my Dutch is pretty bad. Was hoping the Dutchies on the forum would have bought one locally and could give me a tip to a place that carries it. I've tried kijkshops and regular electronic shops but none have it.

Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
emen
Edge User

Snepscheut, I could try bringing my Edge to the store, but in my country, there are only 2 kinds of these adapters available, and I already have one, so I guess the chances are slim .

Niatrue, I've found some stores in Netherlands. Check them out:
http://www.obcs.nl/go.php?utm_source...ech%20USB2106S

http://www.jmw.nl/ice.cgi?a_ssrp=1&d_word=USB2106S

http://www.compatible.eu/usb2106s-co...ml?language=nl

http://www.itwebwinkel.nl/redir.cgi?..._word=USB2106S

BorisB, I know I would have to order it from the EE site, but the problem is I cannot order anything from the web, since I'm already blacklisted at the customs (in the past 2 months, I ordered several gadgets for my Edge prior to actually buying one ). And if I had it delivered at someone else's address, still the taxes would be several times higher that the actual price.

The problem is that I think this little adapter I own could be used on the Edge, since its red light flashes when connected. I also have Linux drivers, but cannot install them.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Snepscheut
Edge User

Hello NiaTrue,

Welcom in Nederland, I hope you enjoy your stay!

I'v been calling some stores for you but the StarTech USB2106S seems only available in the webstore's emen has found.

If I can help you buying/sending it to you please send me a PM and I will do so.

Greetings,
Jos vd Snepscheut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
I'm having a similar problem. I'm traveling in the Netherlands now and no one seems to have one at any of the shops I've been to. When I ask for an ethernet/USB adapter, they point me to USB cables or ethernet adapters without a USB connection. Snepscheut, aren't you in the Netherlands? Any idea of a shop that carries these?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
NiaTrue
Edge User

Thanks, All! I hope that the next time I log into the forum, I'll be doing so using the adapter. I'll just purchase it and have it shipped, since I seem unlikely to find it by browsing through stores. Though my father-in-law seems to think I could find it at Beverwijk Bazaar.

Snepscheut, I'm definitely enjoying my stay in the Netherlands. Spent all day yesterday in Den Haag and had planned to take the kiddies to NEMO today in Amsterdam, but the futbol party may make us wait until Thursday or Friday. May just head to Edam instead; it's a (realtively) short bike ride away.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
emen
Edge User

Well, my problem is solved. I've just bought a wireless router.