Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
asqueue
Enthusiast
asqueue began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
unwanted table of contents in converted book

Hello. This is my first post to the calibre forum. I hope I'm in the right place.

I converted a FrameMaker 6 book of 28 files with mif2go to XHTML and then used calibre to create a Kindle format book. This is a dictionary so it does not need a table of contents. The generated ebook keeps putting as the first page in the book a page with a large heading that reads "Table of Contents" and nothing else. How can I stop that from happening?

Calibre also picks up a random selection of terms (50 out of the several thousand dictionary entries) and displays them when you click the table of contents button in the ebook reader. These are the last two pages of the book, so I presume they are the metadata TOC. How can I prevent the appearance of this in the book and how can I remove those last two pages?
asqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look at the MOBI Output section of the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In calibre, select "Preferences", "Output Option", "MOBI Output".

Select "Do not add Table of Contents to book".
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
asqueue
Enthusiast

Thanks. That sort of worked, but, for my purposes it didn't do what I wanted. That is, there is nothing displayed when I click the table of contents button, but the first page of the book still has a large heading at the top that reads "Table of Contents" and a new second page has been added, a completely blank page. How do I remove those two pages?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre doesn't create mobi dictionaries as far as I know. I believe there is special software for creating them, but I'm afraid I have no idea what exactly.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
calibre doesn't create mobi dictionaries as far as I know. I believe there is special software for creating them, but I'm afraid I have no idea what exactly.
Obviously calibre was able to convert this dictionary to mobi since the OP has an outputted mobi book. Why he has a page titled Table of Contents is beyond me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Obviously calibre was able to convert this dictionary to mobi since the OP has an outputted mobi book. Why he has a page titled Table of Contents is beyond me.
Having paged text is not the same as a dictionary. Dictionaries have an index which calibre doesn't create to my knowledge.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
asqueue
Enthusiast

The dictionary was created in FrameMaker 6. Mif2go successfully converted from FrameMaker to XHTML. Calibre successfully converted from XHTML to mobi. (I can create an alphabetic index as part of the process, just a list of letters as cross-references.) The only problem (apart from a few display issues that I'm dealing with by tweaking local.css and the XHTML files) is that calibre keeps inserting those two table of contents pages at the start of the ebook. So what I'd like to know is how to get rid of those pages after the fact -- or, better, how not to generate them in the first place.

Thanks for the replies and TIA for any further help.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asqueue View Post
The dictionary was created in FrameMaker 6. Mif2go successfully converted from FrameMaker to XHTML. Calibre successfully converted from XHTML to mobi. (I can create an alphabetic index as part of the process, just a list of letters as cross-references.)
There seems to be some confusion over the term "dictionary." MOBI has a special dictionary format that can be used to look up words in books when reading other books (when assigned as the device's default dictionary). It has extra functionality that is not created by calibre's MOBI converter. Calibre creates standard MOBIs. That you're creating a standard MOBI with an index that can be used to look up certain words LIKE a dictionary is all fine and dandy, but it's not actually a MOBI dictionary.

Quote:
The only problem (apart from a few display issues that I'm dealing with by tweaking local.css and the XHTML files) is that calibre keeps inserting those two table of contents pages at the start of the ebook. So what I'd like to know is how to get rid of those pages after the fact -- or, better, how not to generate them in the first place.
How not to generate them in the first place is quite simple. You've already done it. Make sure there are no Table of Contents pages in your original source and select "Do not add Table of Contents to book" when converting to MOBI.

How to remove it after the fact is simple as well: you can't. Calibre doesn't edit MOBIs. If there's a page with the heading "Table of Contents" in your MOBI, no amount of converter setting tweaking will remove it during a MOBI-MOBI conversion.

You need to build the MOBI again (from the original source that has no table of contents pages/headings in it) and select "Do not add Table of Contents to book" and convert to MOBI.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-07-2014 at 05:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
asqueue
Enthusiast

Ah. I see the confusion. Perhaps I should call my book a "dictionary" instead of dictionary, or, better, call my book a lexicon.

Turns out I was the cause of my problems. Per the calibre user manual:

In order to convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order, you have to create a table of contents file. That is, another HTML file that contains links to all the other files in the desired order. Such a file looks like:

<html>
<body>
<h1>Table of Contents</h1>
<p style="text-indent:0pt">
<a href="file1.html">First File</a><br/>
<a href="file2.html">Second File</a><br/>
</p>
</body>
</html>

So calibre wasn't creating a page that contained "Table of Contents"; I was. Pilot error. I removed the <h1> line from the control file. I changed the control file such that it inserts alphabetical lettered links to the individual letters of the lexicon.

Again, thanks for all the help and I'll try not to ask questions in the future when the problem is one caused by me.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
asqueue
Enthusiast

how do I start a new thread?

I realize this is not a good place to post this but I can't find the right place and that is what my question is. How do I start a new thread? I read the FAQs and guidelines, and I can see how to reply to existing postings but I can't see how to start a completely new thread and in a specific place.

Specifically, I want to start a new thread here:

MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

I don't know how I managed to start the thread of my previous request. At some point I found a "new thread" button, but I can't find one now. All I can find is "new reply" buttons.

(I guess I should have started this with an smiley.)

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:

At the top of each forum listing, above the title "Threads in forum:forum" you will see a button labeled "New Thread". Press button.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Again, thanks for all the help and I'll try not to ask questions in the future when the problem is one caused by me.
I see no reason to limit your future questioning in that way. We all have those "can't see the forest for the trees" moments where another set of eyes might be all we need to get past it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I read the FAQs and guidelines, and I can see how to reply to existing postings but I can't see how to start a completely new thread and in a specific place.
You're right - there is nothing obvious about starting a new thread, in here ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...aq_vb3_posting

It should be there, shouldn't it ?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I realize this is not a good place to post this but I can't find the right place and that is what my question is. How do I start a new thread? I read the FAQs and guidelines, and I can see how to reply to existing postings but I can't see how to start a completely new thread and in a specific place.

I don't know how I managed to start the thread of my previous request. At some point I found a "new thread" button, but I can't find one now. All I can find is "new reply" buttons.

(I guess I should have started this with an smiley.)

Thanks.
You can't start a new thread WHILE in a thread.

The button changes flavor depending if you are viewing the LIST or a topic.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
table of contents