Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #15256
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by widuvarg View Post
I'm currently reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. I'm a huge fan of SF, and Asimov is one of the best authors (to me). I'm also reading End this depression now! by Paul Krugman, and have some other books on my ereader ready to be read.

the Foundation Trilogy is one of my all-time favorites!

and welcome to MR!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #15257
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just started The Law of Superheroes for my first non-fiction of the year. I transitioned out of private practice and into the full time teaching of the law in December, and this seemed a fitting endeavor to commemorate that.

The book discusses many major principles of law using actual storylines from DC, Marvel, Image (and many other publishers) comic books. For example, I spent last evening reading a discussion of whether or not Batman can testify against the Joker AS Batman or if the 6th Amendment Confrontation Clause would necessitate the revealing of his secret identity on the stand.

Fascinating read for a comic book geek or an attorney, and I just happen to be both

Last edited by astrangerhere; 01-15-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: eta: hyperlink to the goodreads page
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #15258
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Coming to the end of "The Confessor"...

Trawling for ideas on what to follow it with. It might be a Dickens ... we shall see. I enjoyed "Tale of Two Cities" before Christmas but staggered half-way through "Mutual Friend".
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #15259
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just started The Law of Superheroes for my first non-fiction of the year. I transitioned out of private practice and into the full time teaching of the law in December, and this seemed a fitting endeavor to commemorate that.

The book discusses many major principles of law using actual storylines from DC, Marvel, Image (and many other publishers) comic books. For example, I spent last evening reading a discussion of whether or not Batman can testify against the Joker AS Batman or if the 6th Amendment Confrontation Clause would necessitate the revealing of his secret identity on the stand.

Fascinating read for a comic book geek or an attorney, and I just happen to be both

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #15260
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm currently reading A Canticle for Liebowitz - some classic post-apocalyptic sci-fi!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #15261
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished up the entire Adventures in the Liaden Universe (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) series of chapbooks early this morning. This was a reread, since I had read most of them when they first came out. But over the years, lots of details were lost, and I wanted to be "caught up" before my reading of the RTM version of Necessity's Child. I really enjoyed this reading, it brought back all sorts of details and characters I'd forgotten. These are mid-length to longish stories, but definitely less than novels, generally two to a chapbook. They are not part of the main story line, but rather fill in details or delve into characters who may be completely peripheral in the main novel story line. (The cab driver, for example, from I Dare.) As such, they can be read stand alone, and make an interesting introduction to the Liaden books. And, unlike many novel length writers, Lee and Miller do quite well in shorter length works.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #15262
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Dana Stabenow & Christopher Buecheler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Wailing Wind was another great Tony Hillerman Navajo Tribal Police yarn featuring Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. I guess that I'm on a Native American kick because I decided to next read the 16th of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mysteries, Whisper to the Blood.
Whoops! With apologies to Dana Stabenow I've put a short hold on Whisper to the Blood while I insert 2 Christopher Buecheler books, Amun Sa and the Girl from the Desert a spoiler-free excerpt from The Children of the Sun and The Children of the Sun itself, which is the final novel in The II AM Trilogy. I did this because I received in my email this morning a Christopher Buecheler Newsletter reminding me of these 2 ebooks.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #15263
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Just finished Snobs by Julian Fellowes, creator of Downton Abbey.
Superbly observed not so classless England society by an obviously irresistible storyteller
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #15264
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Whoops! With apologies to Dana Stabenow I've put a short hold on Whisper to the Blood while I insert 2 Christopher Buecheler books, Amun Sa and the Girl from the Desert a spoiler-free excerpt from The Children of the Sun and The Children of the Sun itself, which is the final novel in The II AM Trilogy. I did this because I received in my email this morning a Christopher Buecheler Newsletter reminding me of these 2 ebooks.

I read the first book in the II AM trilogy and enjoyed it. Thanks for the reminder! I've added the other two to my very long TBR list.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #15265
widuvarg
widuvarg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

the Foundation Trilogy is one of my all-time favorites!

and welcome to MR!
I agree! I've finished the last book of the trilogy last week, and now I'm starting with the other books in the series. It's so well wrought together. It all makes sense, the reasons for events and such are well explained (trying to keep this spoiler free). For anyone who hasn't read it, you're really missing out on something. Even if you don't like SF, the story is amazing.
widuvarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #15266
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Started 50 shades of gray, just to see where all the fuss is about. Some say it is suspense too and cant stop reading.....I find it difficult to keep my interest, it's something that reminds of those cheap Harlequin lecture I used to buy when i was a teenager. Anyone an opinion about this book? Not sure if I want to keep going.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #15267
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The II AM Trilogy

Quote:
Well I quickly finished reading Amun Sa and the Girl from the Desert and I believe that it does serve as an effective teaser (it's free from several sources) for The Children of the Sun which I have just started reading. It's the third and final novel of The II AM Trilogy.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #15268
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished up the entire Adventures in the Liaden Universe (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) series of chapbooks early this morning. This was a reread, since I had read most of them when they first came out. But over the years, lots of details were lost, and I wanted to be "caught up" before my reading of the RTM version of Necessity's Child. I really enjoyed this reading, it brought back all sorts of details and characters I'd forgotten. These are mid-length to longish stories, but definitely less than novels, generally two to a chapbook. They are not part of the main story line, but rather fill in details or delve into characters who may be completely peripheral in the main novel story line. (The cab driver, for example, from I Dare.) As such, they can be read stand alone, and make an interesting introduction to the Liaden books. And, unlike many novel length writers, Lee and Miller do quite well in shorter length works.
Reading a free short story on the Baen site, Eleutherios, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Will follow with Necessity's Child.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #15269
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I'm onto the second book of Belgariad, and although the plots could've been a great deal subtler, the cast is one of the most delightful I've seen and they keep me going.

Feist's Riftwar isn't available for kindle here so that would have to wait for my bookstore visit.

Last edited by maianhvk; 01-16-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #15270
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Eleutherios

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading a free short story on the Baen site, Eleutherios, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Will follow with Necessity's Child.
I'm reading Eleutherios between chapters of The Children of the Sun.