Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Creative Labs ZiiO 7" Android 2.1 Tablet, $249 & $269

ZiiO 16GB for $269. Also 8GB for $249.

Here's the bullet list I got in an e-mail ad from Creative:

"The hub of your Pure Wireless entertainment ecosystem
• Runs on Android 2.1 operating system
• 7" 16.8-million colour TFT display with touchscreen
• MicroSD card slot expands capacity up to 32GB
• Built-in X-Fi audio enhancement technology
• Supports Bluetooth with superior apt-X audio codec
• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g for constant connectivity
• Easy drag-and-drop file management
• Weighs a mere 400g"

The video demo shows ebook reading. 480x800 display size, VGA front camera, HDMI out from 1GHz ZMS-08 ARM processor, speakers.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Unfortunately, it's got a resistive touchscreen.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
For just a few dollars mor you can get an Archos 70; well ... that is if you can find someone who has them in stock. They seem to sell out a lot!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Unfortunately, it's got a resistive touchscreen.
Hmm, I couldn't find anything on that, but for me that's a big plus...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, I couldn't find anything on that, but for me that's a big plus...
Seriously? I can't imagine any reason to want a 7" tablet with a resistive screen.

Anyway, it's in the official product specifications: http://en.store.creative.com/product...=948&pid=20231

Display: 16.8mill color TFT, Resistive Touch
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Resistive is only a plus in my book if it has a stylus and a digitizer for taking notes and such. Otherwise...capacitive is better.

That said, a decent resistive screen can be ok.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Seriously? I can't imagine any reason to want a 7" tablet with a resistive screen.

Anyway, it's in the official product specifications: http://en.store.creative.com/product...=948&pid=20231

Display: 16.8mill color TFT, Resistive Touch
Because I don't like to touch the screen with my fingers? I prefer a stylus. Even on my Sony I use a stylus, even though that one reacts perfectly with a finger...

And it's not for sale in Europe (yet), and I've only seen a Dutch news item. Which didn't post a link to the site itself.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I really like Creative, but that is a bit too pricy for me even if I had the money right now. My first 2 mp3 players were Creative, but after the Zen Vision M, they seemed to stop creating good quality and economical devices. The zii egg has been a developer's only thing for at least 1-2 years. I can't remember when I first heard about it. At least they are doing something with the brand. It is an attractive device.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
andy1m
Enthusiast
andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite
Anybody use Ziio 7" to read ebook?
andy1m is offline   Reply With Quote