Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'd like a bigger Comments section in the Edit Metadata window (& not just 4 lines )

How can I have a bigger Comments window/box?
https://i.imgur.com/1gPAvKk.png
My screen's resolution is 1366x768. In other programs, I don't have this problem.

I wish I could have the Comments box take up more (if not all) of the screen, rather than just 4 lines.

Last edited by droopy; 03-19-2020 at 07:36 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You do realize that you can drag the dividing line wherever the cursor changes to double arrows
But you might also consider using the Info pane, which floats
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ducks,
There's nothing draggable for me when I'm in the "Edit Metadata" window.
The line is draggable though in the main window, but that's not where I want a bigger Comments section. I'd like the bigger section in the Edit Metadata window, like in my screenshot.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Ducks,
There's nothing draggable for me when I'm in the "Edit Metadata" window.
The line is draggable though in the main window, but that's not where I want a bigger Comments section. I'd like the bigger section in the Edit Metadata window, like in my screenshot.
Oops
That is weird
This is mine W10 1920x1080
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MDEallon1.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	177817  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use a different metadata dialog layout, in Preferences->Behavior. You have changed it to all on one tab., in that mode things are going to be super compressed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
wrong image

@droopy, I move Comments to a custom column, Blurb, which I can edit in the book list via F2, making the editing window as big as I need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-20 150005.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	177826

I put that 'icon' in the column when it contains something via Look and Feel->Column icons.

I don't get Comments in ePub dc:description But I'm OK with that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-20-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: wrong image
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
droopy
Guru

thanks, kovid.
It actually was on "Compact Metadata". I changed it to "Default", and now I can slide the width of the Comments box, like in this screenshot. https://i.imgur.com/x2RGNyg.png
Old 03-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #8
droopy
Guru

Hi BetterRed. i like your dark theme. I wish i could do that, but i'm on linux, so ... oh well. anyway,

Now, about your post... why did you have to move the text from the Comments box to a whole new column ("Blurb")? Is it because F2 doesn't work the same way with the default Comments box?

by the way, what do you mean you don't get Comments in epub dc:description?
Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use the dark theme on linux as well, via an environment variable. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
Old 03-20-2020, 12:53 AM   #10
droopy
Guru

thanks, kovid. the link you shared has instructions for mac and windows, but not for linux. Where do I write "CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME"?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:38 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It depends on your linux system, the reason there are no instructions for linux is because linux is not one thing. You should google how to set environment variables for your specific distro/setup.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:11 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hi BetterRed. i like your dark theme. I wish i could do that, but i'm on linux, so ... oh well. anyway,

Now, about your post... why did you have to move the text from the Comments box to a whole new column ("Blurb")? Is it because F2 doesn't work the same way with the default Comments box?

by the way, what do you mean you don't get Comments in epub dc:description?
You cannot show the Comments column (a long text column) in the Book list, but you can show custom long text columns. I suspect the reasons are mainly aesthetic; if you don't cloak long text columns with an icon they can look rather messy.

Calibre's built in columns map to industry standard Dublin Core elements within an ePub, FX Tags map to dc:subjects; Authors maps to dc:creator with a role of aut... and Comments maps to dc:description.

F2 is how I get into Edit Mode in the book list, I think its universal - well, it is for me If you look in Preferences->Add your own column -- which is where the columns to be shown in the book list are selected -- you won't find Comments.

I do all my metadata editing in the spreadsheet-like book list, but I think most people are happier filling in the forms.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-20-2020 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It depends on your linux system, the reason there are no instructions for linux is because linux is not one thing.
How many linuxes are there then?
If you can find out how many linux users there are, you'll know how many linuxes there are.
You mean every user has there own linux?
Yeeesss.

BR
Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

dozens!!! and there are a few thousand linux users.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:16 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Millions of Linux desktop users. Unlike many of the Billion Windows 10 Users it was mostly a choice. There are maybe about 100 million users of latest MacOS, it's not important to Apple profits compared to iOS products and Apple Services. Linux is not Unix, it's inspired by UNIX and uses GNU applications and tools developed originally for UNIX or BSD.
Android uses the Linux Kernel, but the Application environment is based on Java and the JVM and the GUI layer was written for Android. Google bought it in. It wasn't their design originally.

The main variations are based on Debian (Ubuntu, Mint), Red Hat (Fedora, Centos), Arch Linux and Suse. Most have good support for ARM and some other CPUs as well as x86-64 and x86-32.
Many TVs and ereaders run Linux or Android
Most embedded systems such as routers and airpoints run Linux. Microsoft uses a lot of Linux for Azure and their routers.
Most Cloud Computing and Web Servers run Linux. There are now ARM based servers though most are still x86-64.

There are three main versions of BSD, which is a UNIX predating Linux. MacOS X is from the NextStep project which was based on BSD. Mac OS9 and earlier were not Unix based.

See also OSes for the Raspberry Pi, a small computer based on an ARM phone chip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspbe...rating_systems

The x86 (Intel AMD) is pretty much only used in desktops inc laptops and Servers. Most of MS Windows is now only the desktop.
More ARM chips ship in a week than AMD + Intel x86-64 in a year and most run at least the Linux Kernel unless very low end.
iOS was based on Mac OS X, so also is a Unix like OS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote