Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2020, 12:58 AM   #31
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I wonder why Kobo decided they needed new columns for the series stuff?
Those have been there for a while, they just weren't used for sideloaded stuff. They probably needed it for the "More in this series" button.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:10 AM   #32
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Those have been there for a while, they just weren't used for sideloaded stuff. They probably needed it for the "More in this series" button.
Ah, thanks
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2020, 02:04 AM   #33
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
A trivial question perhaps, but how does one play the Word Scramble? I select letters, but see no way to have the selections counted. that count stays at "0" out of however many are listed for that particular grid.
Click again on the last letter of a word. Click a, n, and t, and click again on t and 'ant' will be counted as a word.
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:40 AM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobofan99 View Post
Click again on the last letter of a word. Click a, n, and t, and click again on t and 'ant' will be counted as a word.
Thanks! Now if only my hands were faster
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #35
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, that should work for now. Just copy the contents of 'Series' to 'SeriesID' for sideloaded books (and remember to exclude the rows used for TOC entries).
Ok, dumb question, but for TOC entries, isn't the Series data set to NULL anyways? So copying it over to SeriesID should still be NULL and be fine, right? Although I only really spot checked and didn't check every TOC entry but the ones I did encounter were NULL.

I was really hoping something like
Code:
UPDATE content SET SeriesID = Series;
would work.

Although I was playing around (haven't actually deployed it yet) and it seemed to set SeriesNumberFloat to 0.0 for all non-NULL entries at the same time. Not sure if that's a quirk of the program I'm using (DB Browser for SQLite) or if that's what's supposed to happen. Should I be copying over SeriesNumber to that column too?

Last edited by rtiangha; 03-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Dictionary popup uses scroll bar if the text doesn't fit in the popup.
Footnote popup uses scrollbar for longer notes.
Pagination is better, though on the previous FW, the physical buttons don't page in popups like dictionary, you have to tap/swipe.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #37
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Hi, I‘m wondering what additional benefit Series has over Collection? I was perfectly happy with Collection functionality. At the moment, I‘d rather turn Series off.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #38
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I was really hoping something like
Immediately after installing 4.20, I applied this query and it worked fine for me. All series have appeared.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
Hi, I‘m wondering what additional benefit Series has over Collection? I was perfectly happy with Collection functionality. At the moment, I‘d rather turn Series off.
If you were creating collections for series and nothing else, there probably isn't any advantage. And if you were only creating collections for some other reason (TBR list, genre etc), again there probably isn't any advantage. But, if you were creating collections for both reasons, you will no longer have the series collection mixed up with the non-series collections. To me, that is a good thing. But, if you don't like it, just ignore the tab.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #40
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
OK, quick question about the database changes for compatibility with the new Series tab.

I sideload everything (even the stuff I buy from Kobo; drm removed, of course) so no need for me to generate a UUID or anything like that, but for various reasons, it'd be easier and faster for me just to copy the database file off my Kobo and run the SQL directly on my computer and then copy it back rather than do it through usb (2.35 GB file, 13,000 books (blame gutenberg), etc, plus I want to compact the database after and that definitely is faster if I do it locally).

I haven't installed the new firmware yet so I can't inspect the database to see what changed, but am I correct to assume that it'd be just as simple as copying over all of the data from the 'Series' column to whatever the new column is (looking at geek1011's seriesmeta commit, is it called SeriesID?) and that's it, or is there more to it than that (sorry if the question sounds dumb; I'm weak in sql)?
Hi rtiangha, can you tell me how compacting the database?. This may not be a necessary action, but my database has >100mb. Is it too big or is it normal?
Thanks
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #41
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Finally. I truly have the heart of a champion!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelocotonto View Post
Hi rtiangha, can you tell me how compacting the database?. This may not be a necessary action, but my database has >100mb. Is it too big or is it normal?
You can use any SQLite database management tool to do this. And if you are a calibre user, my Kobo Utilities plugin can do it. But, if your database is only around 100MB in size, it probably won't reclaim much space, or help with performance.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #43
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelocotonto View Post
Thanks
As davidfor says, any SQLite management program can do it (the tool may call the function by different names; compact, optimize, or vacuum are the common ones). If you're using the tool I linked to, you would open up the database then click on Tools->Compact Database.

However, you have a small database and if you're a Calibre user, you may as well use David's Kobo Utilities plugin to do it instead.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #44
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I just updated. Everything good so far (haven't really had a chance to actually read yet, just messed around a bit).

Honestly, the new series tab is nice but the thing I'm most excited about is how fast moving between tabs has become. I have a big library (2800 books more or less on my Libra) organized in about 550+ collections and whenever I had to go to the Authors or Collections tab I ended up waiting at least 20 seconds if not more for everything to load - it's gone down to a couple of seconds now. Really happy about this.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As the line-spacing patch is not working with the new update, I'm going to skip for now. Not particularly interested in the new series tab or other stuff in this update anyway. I'll probably update if the devs get the line-patch to work (very grateful for all their efforts).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote