Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 10:25 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Unhappy Odd font abnormality on Forma & Sage post-upgrade 4.32 [SOLVED]

I'm well aware of the major font re-write in the current update, however...

My Forma and Sage now display a strange font problem that I have not seen reported. Instead of the normal serif, all system fonts, i.e., home page, my books list, settings, sub-menus, everything, all display in a large sans-serif font, about 30% larger than normal. I noticed the anomaly when I first connected via USB post-upgrade and the "Connected and charging" font was larger and displayed in sans-serif.

I reinstalled the update and the result is the same, with or without patches installed. The only solution is to restart the Sage & Forma after every USB eject and the system font then returns to normal.

Has anyone else seen this? This has never occurred with the Libra2/H20, or Elipsa.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-28-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Update in post #16
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't noticed anything different on any of my devices. The two things I can think of would be a patch that isn't working the same as before, or the "Large Print Mode" in the Beta Features has been turned on.

There were changes a while ago. But, if you have been keeping up with the firmware updates, that would not be anything new.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't noticed anything different on any of my devices. The two things I can think of would be a patch that isn't working the same as before, or the "Large Print Mode" in the Beta Features has been turned on.

There were changes a while ago. But, if you have been keeping up with the firmware updates, that would not be anything new.
As mentioned, this happened without any patches installed, fresh after the update. Large Print Mode has never been activated either. Very strange.

Edit: I lied. I was able to replicate this on my Sage as well.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-26-2022 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any additional fonts installed?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:02 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any additional fonts installed?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yes:

Amazon Ember
Bookerly
Charis6eink
Literata Book
Sitka Text

Edit: Same problem on the Sage too.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-26-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A couple of us reported this in the 4.32 thread (if you open a book in this state, it''ll throw a message about adding Georgia as a supplemental font). A hypothesis was that there were too many sideloaded fonts but you don't have a lot. I still think it's a lack of ram problem preventing a service or executable from restarting after USB disconnect (to which I would suggest to the devs locking in that service into memory like NickelMenu does).

So, let's try something else: do you have a lot of books and/or a large KoboReader.sqlite database file (mine is 600 mb+ and I get the issue)? A large database would also eat up ram. Just shooting from the hip here.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
A couple of us reported this in the 4.32 thread (if you open a book in this state, it''ll throw a message about adding Georgia as a supplemental font). A hypothesis was that there were too many sideloaded fonts but you don't have a lot. I still think it's a lack of ram problem preventing a service or executable from restarting after USB disconnect (to which I would suggest to the devs locking in that service into memory like NickelMenu does).

So, let's try something else: do you have a lot of books and/or a large KoboReader.sqlite database file (mine is 600 mb+ and I get the issue)? A large database would also eat up ram. Just shooting from the hip here.
Thank you for your reply. I thought I had digested the entire thread but I missed this issue. I have not experienced any messaging regarding adding Georgia, only the change to a large system sans-serif as soon as I connect via USB (first noticed with "Connected and charging" text). Neither the Libras nor the Elipsa display the problem.

Below are figures for number of books (all sideloaded) and corresponding size of KoboReader.sqlite files:

Sage: 400 books, 36mb

Forma: 700 books, 57mb
Old 05-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hmm, then that may not be it either. So here's a total shot in the dark: If you remove Sitka, does the issue continue? It has a weird em value and maybe that''s triggering things. That's the only other thing I can think of that we have in common.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Hmm, then that may not be it either. So here's a total shot in the dark: If you remove Sitka, does the issue continue? It has a weird em value and maybe that''s triggering things. That's the only other thing I can think of that we have in common.
I had already deleted Sitka and the problem persists with only Amazon Ember, Bookerly, Charis6eink and Literata Book installed. I haven't yet but I am considering removing all added fonts and adding a few back one at a time. This is a real head-scratcher, particularly since this does not occur with the Libras or Elipsa. There's nothing worse than having everything running smoothly and customized only to have Kobo break something. Although not a fatal bug, it's d------ed irritating having to power off/on after every disconnect, particularly since the Sage cover has no cutout for the power button.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I had already deleted Sitka and the problem persists with only Amazon Ember, Bookerly, Charis6eink and Literata Book installed. I haven't yet but I am considering removing all added fonts and adding a few back one at a time. This is a real head-scratcher, particularly since this does not occur with the Libras or Elipsa. There's nothing worse than having everything running smoothly and customized only to have Kobo break something. Although not a fatal bug, it's d------ed irritating having to power off/on after every disconnect, particularly since the Sage cover has no cutout for the power button.
What happens if you remove all side loaded fonts? If it doesn't happen, try adding one font at a time and then testing until you see the problem.

I'm not sure if you should reboot between font changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
popinzenc
popinzenc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Kobo
Try below guidance to change the default Geogia & Avenir fonts of stock firmware downloaded from official kobo sites then update your kobo.

It works for me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJn1qkZvmco

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1unt...sIV8OBeQt/view
popinzenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happens if you remove all side loaded fonts? If it doesn't happen, try adding one font at a time and then testing until you see the problem.

I'm not sure if you should reboot between font changes.
Did that already with no change. This is only occurring on the Sage and Forma, not Libras (both) or Elipsa. One thing not yet tried is a complete removal of added fonts prior to reinstalling the update (without patches). The only other option for troubleshooting is a factory reset which I do not care to do.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #13
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Try deleting fonts.sqlite database file, i think it's in .kobo folder.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
Try deleting fonts.sqlite database file, i think it's in .kobo folder.
Ah... I had not thought of that. I'll incorporate it in my troubleshooting when I can carve out some time later today.

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Ah... I had not thought of that. I'll incorporate it in my troubleshooting when I can carve out some time later today.

Thank you!
Also check "Kobo eReader.conf" to see if there is anything there that might cause this problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote