Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
mjgasior
mjgasior began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 631 Touch HD
PocketBook 631 Touch HD dictionaries

Hi!

I have recieved today my first ebook reader (which is, as mentioned in the title, PocketBook 631 Touch HD) and I am pretty disappointed just from the beginning. The main purpose I bought the device was to read some german books with some help of the dictionary. I haven't updated the firmware (which is dated 12 august 2016), so I hope there is some fixes there, but the german to english dictionary is useless right now... It can search only the simple forms (for example, a past form from "see" in german is unrecognizable!) and doesn't work with split-by-newline words.

Do you know any good for learner german to english (or polish) dicitionaries which have also the other forms of verbs and are able to cope with nouns (plural forms) and adjectives? It would be really nice to also get the other forms in the word definition part.

The second thing - do you know any resources where I can find books on lowered levels of german? Also to buy? I saw some ebooks for kindle on amazon, but it looks like there are not so many for the PocketBook...

Thank You for any help in advance!
mjgasior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think it will help to update the firmware (except possibly for the problem with words split over two lines). New firmware versions don't include dictionaries. The dictionaries are loaded when the device is first set up.

PocketBook uses a proprietary format for dictionaries, which does include support for converting morphemes into other forms. If set up properly, it can convert many of the lexical and grammatical forms of a word into the one included in the dictionary. However, it's non-trivial to set that table up properly, and I wouldn't doubt if most dictionaries haven't done that. I know that even the Collins Polish-English dictionary I bought doesn't do much converting.

Otherwise, the PocketBook format does not allow multiple forms for the same definition. A dictionary would have to repeat the same definition for each form of the word if it wanted direct lookups (rather than morpheme translation).

I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall seeing a fairly large morpheme translation table for German many years ago. Perhaps it was available in one of the dictionary threads in this forum. If you could find that, then you could use it along with PocketBook's dictionary converter application to turn an open German-English dictionary into one that would work well on the device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
On second thought, if the ebooks include soft (i.e. hidden) hyphens in words as hints on where to break words across lines, then those hyphens could be interfering with dictionary lookups. Maybe you can try stripping the hyphens out to see if that improves things.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, german, german language learning, pocketbook 631, touch hd