Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #30691
kyrilson
Evangelist
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Just finished The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. This is a reread, but I read it so long ago (when it first came out) that I barely remembered any of it. Excellent read. It will be interesting to see how it goes the closer I get to the end of The Dark Tower, I stopped after book #4 (Wizard and Glass) for some reason. Not sure why, just never got around to reading the rest. Anyways, this one I’m rating 4/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #30692
jacheongbi777
jacheongbi777 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up

Assasin's Apprentice is a totally magical read!!! I'm halfway through the Makeup Bars series by J.Zaraiyah, and actually considering calling out from work so I can keep reading. Profoundly marvelous.
jacheongbi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #30693
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Weir of Hermiston by Robert Louis Stevenson. The next in my read-through of all his stuff, thanks to a bundle from Delphi Classics.
Unfinished, and clearly in need of polishing, although with some good bits. It's also more incomplete than I realised. We barely get past the setup for the drama to come. 2/5

Then I read Electric Dreams by Philip K. Dick. A collection of his short stories, the ones adapted for a TV series of that name. I generally skipped the foreword to each story. They really should have been afterwords. 4/5

Next up: Another random pick, Galaxy's Edge Magazine, Issue #5 from November 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:32 AM   #30694
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Now reading The Rainbow Trail by Zane Grey, the sequel to Riders of the Purple Sage
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #30695
Bookstooge
Evangelist
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Now reading The Rainbow Trail by Zane Grey, the sequel to Riders of the Purple Sage
So how did you enjoy Zane overall?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #30696
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Its been a tough few reading months for me as I have been so snowed under at work. But I feel like I am pretty much back on my horse now.

I'm currently:
  • Finishing up Will Eisner's Contract with God Trilogy in hardcover
  • Reading book 5 of Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time roman-fleuve - Casanova's Chinese Restaurant on my Kobo.
  • And, I've put Jane Austen's Lady Susan on my phone to listen to on my irregular commutes, which *might* commence a re-reading of Jane Austen.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #30697
Cyclops
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
It was...ok. not what I'd call a typical western. More of an adventure. But not bad at all.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #30698
Cyclops

Quote:
My Goodreads review of Riders...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho..._review_page=1
Old 05-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #30699
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished my second reading of Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Fair Trade, the 24th novel in the Liaden Universe®, and the third in the Jethri sequence. (I originally read this as an eARC in January.) An excellent book and a good continuation of the Jethri story, but leaving plenty of room for the fourth book in this sequence which is due Fall of 2023. Not nearly soon enough for me, but then authors do, occasionally, have actual lives.

Just starting a book I'm quite looking forward to: Sonia Purnell's A Woman of No Importance, the story of Virginia Hall, a Baltimore socialite who talked her way into Special Operations Executive, the spy organization dubbed Winston Churchill's "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare." She became the first Allied woman deployed behind enemy lines and--despite her prosthetic leg--helped to light the flame of the French Resistance, revolutionizing secret warfare as we know it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #30700
Bookstooge
Evangelist
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I found that half of Grey's stories were more "men's adventure" than straight up western. That's probably what led to my disillusionment with him

I just read another Blandings Castle book. I think I am enjoying them more than the Jeeves & Wooster series.
Blandings Castle & Elsewhere
Old 05-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #30701
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
Quote:

I just read another Blandings Castle book. I think I am enjoying them more than the Jeeves & Wooster series.

Blandings is AWESOME - I wish the whole series was on Kobo. A trip to Blandings is medicinal in today's exactly antithetical world.

Meanwhile, I'm finally back into David Hurwitz's Beethoven's Orchestral Music: An Owner's Manual. Right now I'm following the instructions in the book to listen Beethoven's 5th by the Pittsburgh Symphony under Manfred Honeck. When I'm finished listening THEN I'm allowed to read on
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:11 AM   #30702
Cyclops

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I found that half of Grey's stories were more "men's adventure" than straight up western. That's probably what led to my disillusionment with him

Blandings Castle & Elsewhere
Hmm I have a couple of Jeeves and Wooster books on my shelf, not read anything by Wodehouse yet.

Last edited by Cyclops; 05-25-2022 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:47 PM   #30703
Bookstooge
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Blandings is AWESOME - I wish the whole series was on Kobo. A trip to Blandings is medicinal in today's exactly antithetical world.
I am very thankful I found this series after going through the Jeeves&Wooster omnibuses. Appropriately spaced out, Blandings is some of the funniest stuff I've ever read

Quote:
Hmm I have a couple of Jeeves and Wooster books on my shelf, not read anything by Wodehouse yet.
If you try 2 of the books, chances are whatever you feel about them will carry over for Wodehouse overall. My only word of advice would be to space your readings of him out. His humor goes a long way imo...
Old 05-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #30704
Bookstooge
Evangelist

The King in Yellow Tales edited by Joseph Pulver. I'm a big KiY fan but this stuff made me quit the book at the 50% mark
Old 05-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #30705
kyrilson
Evangelist
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Next up is City on Fire by Don Winslow.
This one was alright. Basically about a mobster war between the Italians and Irish families. It wasn't as good as Winslow's prior books. The characters were not as fleshed out as I'd like, but the ending was solid. Rating 3/5 for me.

Next up is Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree. Have heard good things about this fantasy novel from reviewers I watch on booktube so I'm checking it out.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote