Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #3256
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No, the audio book isn't free just the ebook. The link s/b valid, at least I can still follow it. But you can get to it by going to the Baen ebooks site and navigating through the Baen Free Library to 1632. The audiobook is on Audible, and I assume on Kobo, but I don't use Kobo for audio books so haven't checked.

Yup, the link works for me now. I was getting the error on the Baen main page as well, so must have been a glitch.

And turns out that the audiobook is already in my Audible library. One nice thing about a failing memory is some pleasant surprises!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:34 AM   #3257
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
And turns out that the audiobook is already in my Audible library. One nice thing about a failing memory is some pleasant surprises!
ApK
Isn't that the truth! George Guidall's narration is really quite good. And by now I can't imagine anyone other voice for these books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #3258
SanchezZz
SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: none
Right now I am listening to Naomi Klein's "No is Not Enough"... any environmentalist should read or like me, listen to it, is absolutely rich in content
SanchezZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #3259
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Of all things a science book! Michael Page is doing an outstanding job (as usual) narrating Stuff Matters by Mark Miodownik.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #3260
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I recently bought the complete Sherlock Holmes collection by Stephen Fry. Stephen really is an awesome teller of stories!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:43 AM   #3261
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who've been waiting for it, Nathan Lowell's fantasy Zepheria's Call is finally avaible on Audible. (The full series link is here.) If you don't know the series, I quite recommend it.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #3262
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Isn't that the truth! George Guidall's narration is really quite good. And by now I can't imagine anyone other voice for these books.
I'm listening to Brad Thor's "State of the Union," which is also read by Guidall.
Guidall is very good. The book is not grabbing me quite as much as the previous book in this series, but that may be partially due to transference of hatred because I'm listening on the Hoopla app, which, while it's much more stable than when I had tried it in the past, is still an awful app. Curse you DRM.

ApK
Old 04-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #3263
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm currently listening to The Island of Dr. Moreau, one of my first Downpour purchases.

Very enjoyable to encounter this story again.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #3264
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve been on a Victorian novel kick lately, listening to The Return of the Native, He Knew He Was Rght and now Wives and Daughters. Sometimes I shy away from them because of length (and He Knew He Was Right was a whopping 30½ hours); it seems like more of a commitment than I want to make, but they go swiftly. And the virtue of that defect is that I’m not constantly casting about for my next listen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #3265
ApK

I'm up to the fifth book in the Chet and Bernie mysteries by Spencer Quinn: "A Fistful of Collars." I like them well enough to keep listening, and even to keep tolerating the still-awful Hoopla Digital app, the only place I find most of them for free.
But I have to admit they are pretty formulaic and repetitive. Not the core mystery plots, which I find interesting, and a well done, somewhat lighter take on hard-boiled detective stories, but Chet the dog's narration. Quinn has found this brilliant device for increasing his productivity as a writer: At least a solid ten percent--maybe more--of Chet's narration is cut and pasted from all the previous books...and sometimes from previous chapters in the same books. See, Chet repeats the same adorable dogisms..a lot. And since he's a dog, with no clear sense of time, a short attention span, and not so great a memory, he's apt to repeat things he already mentioned....a lot. It was all cute and original for the first two books. By book 5, I'm kind of wishing Chet could hire an editor....but I keep listening. Gotta find out how Chet and Bernie nab the perp!

Last edited by ApK; 05-23-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #3266
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@ApK: I know exactly what you mean about authors padding their word count. Even though I haven't (yet) tried a Chet and Bernie mystery, I've got other authors who've clearly been guilty of much the same. And yet, I keep reading/listening.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:10 AM   #3267
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Currently starting a re-read of the Aubrey/Maturin series, starting from the second book, Post Captain. The narrator for the series is Patrick Tull, and he's perfect for it. (There are at least two other narrators for the series -- Simon Vance, who is also excellent, and Ric Jerome, who is "OK". )
Old 07-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #3268
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Currently starting a re-read of the Aubrey/Maturin series, starting from the second book, Post Captain. The narrator for the series is Patrick Tull, and he's perfect for it. (There are at least two other narrators for the series -- Simon Vance, who is also excellent, and Ric Jerome, who is "OK". )
A little mournfully, I’m going to treat myself to listening to #20, Blue at the Mizzen, next week and follow it up with the unfinished fragment. I’ve been rationing myself on these for eight years! I hate to see it come to an end. Although I will, I know, circle back around, it won’t be the same.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:08 AM   #3269
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A little mournfully, I’m going to treat myself to listening to #20, Blue at the Mizzen, next week and follow it up with the unfinished fragment. I’ve been rationing myself on these for eight years! I hate to see it come to an end. Although I will, I know, circle back around, it won’t be the same.
I completely understand. And it's true, it isn't the same the second time around, but that's often good. I read or hear different things than I did the first time.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #3270
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I completely understand. And it's true, it isn't the same the second time around, but that's often good. I read or hear different things than I did the first time.
And there’s revisiting the origins of key characters: Babbington, Bonden, Blaine, Mrs. Broad - and that’s just the Bs I can remember. I get starting with Post Captain as with one thing and another I’ve already gone back to Master and Commander more than once, but later books were one and done. I could even consider starting over with HMS Surprise at that.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations