Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
amanda138a
amanda138a began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Calibre 3.37 not opening

I have downloaded calibre 3.37 I followed the installing instructions, now when I try to open it it it asks me to "choose a location for your new calibre library" I do this, then.... nothing it does not open. Can anyone help me please?

amanda138a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda138a View Post
I have downloaded calibre 3.37 I followed the installing instructions, now when I try to open it it it asks me to "choose a location for your new calibre library" I do this, then.... nothing it does not open. Can anyone help me please?

What OS?
Do you have (OS) permissions tocreate a folder at the location you chose?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
amanda138a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What OS?
Do you have (OS) permissions tocreate a folder at the location you chose?
yes I do (should have said it's windows 10 64bit,) I was thinking of trying to use an older version of calibre?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes I do (should have said it's windows 10 64bit,) I was thinking of trying to use an older version of calibre?
Is this your first install of Calibre ( you have no previous Library)?
If No: have you ever had multiple monitors?

What does the Task Manager show for Calibre and its WORKERs?
Try disabling your antivirus for the test, some block the worker tasks and those will need to be whitelisted. (if it runs with A/V disabled)

If Yes: Calibre may be hanging trying to create its preferences folder and settings. Again, the A/V may need Calibre.exe whitelisted
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
amanda138a

There was calibre on this pc before but i removed it as I no longer required it... then I spilt coffee on my laptop this morning so I have to come back to this one! I also have the backup library from the broken laptop on this one as I had it on my back-up hard drive
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What location do you choose?

And did you try the default? IIRC it's now something like

Code:
C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Calibre_Library
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
amanda138a

tried all of the above to no success, I followed the IIRC got to roaming there was no Calibre_library only calibre, and i turned off AVG
Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
amanda138a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What location do you choose?

And did you try the default? IIRC it's now something like

Code:
C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Calibre
BR
Ok so I had inspiration and deleted the info that was sitting for calibre under this address and tried installing again, I got a breakthrough with the programme asking me what device etc, it asked where i would like my library and offered me an empty file
Code:
C:\Users\<username>\Calibre Library
when i try and open calibre it gets as far as "initialising user interface" on the starting up interface and then it hangs

any ideas?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
tried all of the above to no success, I followed the IIRC got to roaming there was no Calibre_library only calibre, and i turned off AVG
Quote:
Ok so I had inspiration and deleted the info that was sitting for calibre under this address and tried installing again,
Aaaah - you deleted the config folder - my bad I should have checked the default library location explicitly But calibre would have just created a fresh config folder when it found there wasn't one.

See ==>> calibre is not starting on Windows?

Post the debug output here.

I suspect something is getting in calibre's way - possibly a security related something, but I see you disabled AVG already.

See ==>> calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
Marzi
Marzi began at the beginning.

Calibre not opeing

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem but I don't get any errors or msgs. It just won't start.

I had Calibre on my system before and had no issue with it but after the recent update it simply doesn't open anymore.

I don't have any antivirus to block it either, have tried installing-uninstalling both 32 and 64 versions as well but still nothing.

I also checked in Task Manager to see if it's running in the background or not but didn't find anything .

I've got Windows 8.1.
Marzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #11
amanda138a

ok so I have a 2 prong answer for you!

1) I followed the directions, I deleted everything, went offline turned off AVG etc, and still it failed so I took the screenshots as the FAQ suggested

It still failed, so having read through the FAQ one of the things I noticed was it suggested trying the windows and not the Windows 64 bit version, and what do you know!! It is working!!

Interested to know if any of you geniuses can tell me WHY the 64 bit version failed?

Thanks to all for the help, so very much appreciated!

Incidently for anyone interested....
This is the second time I have spilt coffee on my laptop, the first time it happened (Feb last year!) I bought this cheap acer laptop from Tesco to use as I thought my expensive Dell laptop was toast!! However about a couple of weeks after the spill (And coffee was running through the laptop) for some reason I turned it on and it was fine!! I lost no data, I was really lucky. So I deleted all my stuff as my teenage daughter inherited the Acer ,

This time I spilt LESS coffee. did the same again turned it off right away, dried the spill. so I am hoping that it will come alright again if I leave it be.

If it doesn't come back on again is it worth taking it to a shop to see if it can be fixed?
And yes I know with my history I should avoid having coffee around the laptop, but I am disabled and sometimes stuff happens, there is not much I can do about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot calibre.png
Views:	69
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	169107  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
amanda138a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzi View Post
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem but I don't get any errors or msgs. It just won't start.

I had Calibre on my system before and had no issue with it but after the recent update it simply doesn't open anymore.

I don't have any antivirus to block it either, have tried installing-uninstalling both 32 and 64 versions as well but still nothing.

I also checked in Task Manager to see if it's running in the background or not but didn't find anything .

I've got Windows 8.1.
Marzi as per my reply just now, if you were using the 64 bit version try using the windows version, it has worked for me!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Anything with citric acid is deadly to circuit boards. You have minutes to flush with lots of clear water, and even the, it is iffy. Many sodas have Citric acid. as well as tea with lemon.

Coffee in the power brick is also a bad thing (older bricks were vented). Lost the backlight circuit. At least he HD survived to be placed in a USB caddy for data recovery
Old 01-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
Marzi
Marzi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Marzi as per my reply just now, if you were using the 64 bit version try using the windows version, it has worked for me!
Hey Amanda,

Tried that already, doesn't work.
Marzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
ok so I have a 2 prong answer for you!

1) I followed the directions, I deleted everything, went offline turned off AVG etc, and still it failed so I took the screenshots as the FAQ suggested

It still failed, so having read through the FAQ one of the things I noticed was it suggested trying the windows and not the Windows 64 bit version, and what do you know!! It is working!!

Interested to know if any of you geniuses can tell me WHY the 64 bit version failed?
If we knew that we could probably implement an internal workaround My impression is that it happens more often in Win 7 than Win 10 - but it has been very occasional. As the FAQ says its probably due to some security issue, but what that is we've never discovered.

Quote:
Incidently for anyone interested....
This is the second time I have spilt coffee on my laptop, the first time it happened (Feb last year!) I bought this cheap acer laptop from Tesco to use as I thought my expensive Dell laptop was toast!! However about a couple of weeks after the spill (And coffee was running through the laptop) for some reason I turned it on and it was fine!! I lost no data, I was really lucky. So I deleted all my stuff as my teenage daughter inherited the Acer ,

This time I spilt LESS coffee. did the same again turned it off right away, dried the spill. so I am hoping that it will come alright again if I leave it be.

If it doesn't come back on again is it worth taking it to a shop to see if it can be fixed?
Can't hurt - get a quote for taking a look and giving you an 'is it fixable' answer and a 'how much to fix' quote.

If it's not fixable or the cost to fix is over the top - get a quote to salvage the memory, disk drives etc, they might come in handy - e.g. you could put the disk in USB caddy and use it as a backup drive.

I probably wouldn't take it back to Tesco though, what would a Hackney Market tea seller know about fixing laptops, or Sainsbury's for similar reasons

Quote:
And yes I know with my history I should avoid having coffee around the laptop, but I am disabled and sometimes stuff happens, there is not much I can do about it.
I find something like this helps, hard to knock over because it's bottom heavy :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coffee Cup.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	169114

BR